Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM

164 posts, read 266,496 times

Advertisements

I've heard the horror stories of DC being extremely costly to live. I live in Tampa now and make about 50k. I've been offered a job in DC for 85k. Obviously, FL has no state tax. I am single, no kids.

Would I be okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
of course. It just depends on your expectations for standard of living. If you're expecting luxury 2br apt in the middle of downtown across the street of a Metro station then I'd rethink it. What are you looking for?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM

164 posts, read 266,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
of course. It just depends on your expectations for standard of living. If you're expecting luxury 2br apt in the middle of downtown across the street of a Metro station then I'd rethink it. What are you looking for?
Well...I was thinking somewhat luxury 2br apartment. Nowhere near downtown, I wanted to live away from the city and noise. I prefer a place where I can sleep worry free at night.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
By any reasonable standard of "ok," you'll be fine. 85k is well above the median income for an entire household in DC, which was 64k from 2008 to 2012: District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

You'll easily be able to afford your own apartment. Expect to pay at least $1200 a month for a studio in a decent neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Expect to pay at least $2000 a month for a 2br apartment in a non-ghetto neighborhood within the Beltway, and that's for just normal apartments. Luxury would be much more.
Since no reputable landlord will rent to someone who isn't making at least 40 times the monthly rent, at 85k the most you could pay in rent is 2,125. So no, you probably won't be able to afford a "luxury" 2br unless you go an insanely long commute outside downtown.

But honestly, a single person renting a 2br is extremely rare here. Maybe that is common in lower cost of living places in Tampa, but here I don't know anyone who has a spare bedroom. The area is simply too expensive for anyone but the extremely wealthy to have that luxury.

Last edited by stateofnature; 02-27-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM

Also, not sure what you mean by "the noise." This isn't Manhattan where there is traffic and honking all the time. As long as you don't live on a few busy nightlife streets, 90% of the city is very quiet at night.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM

199 posts, read 333,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
Well...I was thinking somewhat luxury 2br apartment. Nowhere near downtown, I wanted to live away from the city and noise. I prefer a place where I can sleep worry free at night.
Is your job in DC itself, or just in the greater DC area? Just keep in mind that in general, the farther you live from your job, the worse traffic will be (unless you're considering living near one of the far-out Metro stops or a VRE/Marc station). I'd say for as bad as the cost of living is around here, the traffic situation is just as bad.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
I think $85K it is completely doable. Also I can back up the fact that it is pretty quiet throughout most of the beltway, though some areas are far more quiet than others.
Though I think you should expect sticker shock, this is an increase in pay, and likely better opportunities will be here, but the cost of living is higher. Maybe not SF or NYC high, but that is not saying much.

You are in good shape overall though, as...DC is not that bad.

Also I agree with people who have posted, a 2BR apartment is unusual out here for a single person, and the traffic is terrible, but a nice 1BR is possible, and getting something near a metro stop is beneficial.
It really depends on what location you wish to live in and where your job is. Word of warning, northern virginia is more expensive than DC or Maryland.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
I've heard the horror stories of DC being extremely costly to live. I live in Tampa now and make about 50k. I've been offered a job in DC for 85k. Obviously, FL has no state tax. I am single, no kids.

Would I be okay?
$85K is plenty to live on in D.C.

There are a lot of options in D.C. for all income levels.

An example:

1824 Minnesota Avenue SE, Washington DC - Trulia

Property taxes in D.C. are moderate but the transportation system is America's best.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
$85K is plenty to live on in D.C.

There are a lot of options in D.C. for all income levels.

An example:

1824 Minnesota Avenue SE, Washington DC - Trulia

Property taxes in D.C. are moderate but the transportation system is America's best.
East of the anacostia is not a place on can sleep worry free at night. It is the most crime ridden part of DC, and makes DC look bad as a whole. If I would say one area that he should without question AVOID it is that one. It may be cheap, but it's cheap for a reason.

You have plenty of options with your income, but there is one area you will need to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC