Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 PM

536 posts, read 605,785 times

Advertisements

I read something last night that was about 2 days old that stated the Silver Line will be delayed again by several months. The whole prospect of a new line is exciting...and then you look at where the silver line goes and you kind of wonder, what is the point? Yah, it will be cool to go to Dulles but a. That won't happen until 2018 or later and b. It should have happened years ago, no? Instead, Virginia got a line to...Vienna? Huh? No offense, been there, but does not exactly strike me as a place that needed a metro stop. Dulles on the other hand (duh).

Too bad the silver line is yet another line that just goes through the city.

I would love to see a line with some new stops. Glover Park could use a stop. Would love to see a proper stop in Adams Morgan (it always cracks me up that it is included with the WPark stop when it is 10-15 minutes walk away). Even the National Cathedral could use a dedicated stop (10 minute bus ride from the Tenleytown metro). Would love to see a stop in upper Georgia/upper 16th. Sibley Hospital/area. No need to even mention the need for a stop in Gtown, everyone knows that. But no, the silver line offers nothing new and the opening is delayed a lot. 4 stops around Tyson? Is it really that big of a place or so needed?
They could not just have two?

Any way, I am rambling, point is, silver line opening is delayed yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,657,739 times
Getting transit to Tysons Corner is the primary purpose of the first phase of the Silver line. They're starting the largest ever rebuild of an outdated car-dependent office park / mall design into a walkable, mixed-use, transit-oriented modern design. Metro is fundamental to that.

It's a huge project. Delaying a few months to get it right and safe is fine by me. A lot of their potential customer base is skeptical of transit so better to not put a bad taste in their mouth early. At least make them wait until they're trying to get somewhere at 3pm on a Saturday and half the system is shut down with ornery staff barking at them.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,465,267 times
at this point I might be able to ride the metro to Dulles airport by the time I'm collecting my retirement pension

Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM

324 posts, read 465,108 times
this is shocking

Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,834,847 times
To save time, perhaps we should create a thread every time we learn that Silver Line is not being delayed.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 PM

536 posts, read 605,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
To save time, perhaps we should create a thread every time we learn that Silver Line is not being delayed.
Agreed.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,355,144 times
they have to tighten it all up first. no use making the whole
silver line another silver spring fiasco.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,420,800 times
This is an example of government bureacracy operating at the pace of a turtle, meanwhile, the rush hours continue and those that rely on metro remain frustrated that this line is STILL not open despite promises that it would be open by now.. I would love to hear a valid answer as to WHY the entire first phase is BUILT and finished, but for some reason is STILL not open..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC