Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to make a thread to see if anybody ever had any random things happened to you while on Metro (Subway and/or Bus). I thought about this when I came across a thread on the NYC forum with the posters discussing their experiences with the Subway up there. They told some very interesting stories, some made you shock, happy, sad, mad, disgusted, curious, cringe, etc. So I thought I would see if anyone here in the DMV have ever had anything crazy, weird, amazing, frightening, random, cute, lovely, etc. happened to them while riding Metro.

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM

361 posts, read 854,286 times
I lived in the NYC area briefly long ago and visit frequently, so I know how silly it is to compare much of anything in DC to NY.. BUT with respect to the subway, Metro is straight BORING compared to what you might see on any given day on the train in NY. As routinely noted, metro riders are more akin to MetroNorth or LIRR riders... workers, college kids, people headed to special events; it's largely a limited commuter system vs. being the 24-hour transportation backbone for a wide cross section of users and usages. In 20 years of riding Metro, I've seen the usual mild scuffles, drunken yuppies making fools of themselves, rowdy teenagers cutting up, folks breaking out in song, but few incidents really stand out.

One that I always remember however: I was on a green line train headed to a Nats game once, so it was crowded, mostly with white men going to the game (Nats caps, shorts, sneakers). A black teenage girl looking like she was going home after working her fast food job somewhere, finally had had enough and announced to everyone that no one else was getting on the train. So she stood in front of one door, refusing to let any more passengers enter or exit the doorway and cursing the daylights out of anyone ignoring her order. She then went on a profanity-filled rant, about life, white people... just everything. When the train finally got to the Navy Yard station, everyone (including me) avoided her door, walking to the ones at the far ends of the train car. It was just funny and memorable to see all of these grown men scared to confront this tiny little girl... she must have felt ten feet tall that day.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
I lived in the NYC area briefly long ago and visit frequently, so I know how silly it is to compare much of anything in DC to NY.. BUT with respect to the subway, Metro is straight BORING compared to what you might see on any given day on the train in NY. As routinely noted, metro riders are more akin to MetroNorth or LIRR riders... workers, college kids, people headed to special events; it's largely a limited commuter system vs. being the 24-hour transportation backbone for a wide cross section of users and usages. In 20 years of riding Metro, I've seen the usual mild scuffles, drunken yuppies making fools of themselves, rowdy teenagers cutting up, folks breaking out in song, but few incidents really stand out.

One that I always remember however: I was on a green line train headed to a Nats game once, so it was crowded, mostly with white men going to the game (Nats caps, shorts, sneakers). A black teenage girl looking like she was going home after working her fast food job somewhere, finally had had enough and announced to everyone that no one else was getting on the train. So she stood in front of one door, refusing to let any more passengers enter or exit the doorway and cursing the daylights out of anyone ignoring her order. She then went on a profanity-filled rant, about life, white people... just everything. When the train finally got to the Navy Yard station, everyone (including me) avoided her door, walking to the ones at the far ends of the train car. It was just funny and memorable to see all of these grown men scared to confront this tiny little girl... she must have felt ten feet tall that day.
It's always the small fry with the most authoritarian power LOL

And even though I've obviously never rode MetroNorth or the LIRR, I will say that that's pretty accurate depiction of Metro, particularly with the description of the riders and their routines. Hell, even when I'm riding on the part of the Green Line that goes from Branch Avenue to Anacostia, hardly anything weird happens while I'm there. I can't recall anything strange encounters when I used to ride the Blue Line years ago too.

I haven't rode it when I was there, but I'm even willing to bet that LA's Metro has more bizarre happenings than their counterpart here in the DMV.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM

96 viewers so far and nobody else has a story to so for? Come on people, don't be shy now

Old 03-02-2014, 08:23 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
Nothing bad for me, I thought it was funny though. It was the orange line and I was going from Dunn Loring to L'Enfant during the evening commute.

When I first got on, it was typical getting busy but not bad. By the time it went underground it was shoulder to shoulder about 4 stops in. I was lucky to have a seat. When you're going that way, it only gets more packed as you go along.

I don't recall what stop it was, I want to say Rosselyn, we learned that two trains that were scheduled to be ahead of us, weren't there and the one behind us was not going to be there either. The people waiting underground knew that before we on the train did. Rosselyn was the last stop to willingly let people on.

From Clarendon to when I got off at L'Enfant they tried to keep people from getting on the train. Of course, kids got on and they were rude and a bit on the rough side, shouting and cursing. Another two stops in, people were only supposed to be getting off. But there were people on the platform making a dive into the train getting caught in the doors. This meant we were stuck at a stop. I don't recall which one, but the conductor tried to move like 4 times and each time someone would be stuck in the door. The first close was okay, but the dingbell went off. So she opened it, some guy jumped in and she closed the door on his leg. So they opened and then another dude jumped on and caught his arm.

In the mean time, those kids were still being rambunctious enough that people started clearing away from them because they thought a fight would break out. Which meant more congestion by the doors and people starting intentionally blocking them to stop others from making the leap on when the doors opened again.

The train went to the next stop and the doors were completely blocked from people trying to stay away from the kids and keep people from jumping on. No one could get off or on. And then it got ugly. The conductor got on the mic and said that unless we started cooperating she'd kick everyone off and shut down the whole track. The people on the platform heard that and backed off. People started shouting to be let out at the same time people were trying to block the doors. Some old white dude started going off on the fighting kids. And nearly everyone in the car started shouting at everyone else to shut up and get away from the doors.

I don't recall what happened next. I was horrified and giggling at the same time. But we did get to the next stop where 6 metro cops got on at my door. The fighting kids got off at the door down. The cops stuck together and just kept walking up and down the cars for a few stops. By the time I got to L'Enfant, it wasn't so bad to get off. Just jostling.

That was my second or third trip on the metro.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Anyone else?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM

295 posts, read 659,262 times
Maybe a little off-topic but this is the second time in two weeks I have gotten large grease stains on my pants after riding Metro. Can anyone enlighten me as to where in the station or train I may be brushing against something? My best guess is the fare gates. These stains are very difficult to remove.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:18 AM

143 posts, read 395,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's always the small fry with the most authoritarian power LOL

And even though I've obviously never rode MetroNorth or the LIRR, I will say that that's pretty accurate depiction of Metro, particularly with the description of the riders and their routines. Hell, even when I'm riding on the part of the Green Line that goes from Branch Avenue to Anacostia, hardly anything weird happens while I'm there. I can't recall anything strange encounters when I used to ride the Blue Line years ago too.

I haven't rode it when I was there, but I'm even willing to bet that LA's Metro has more bizarre happenings than their counterpart here in the DMV.
L.A. metro vs. the Department of Motor Vehicles??? L.A.'s subways at least (there's a more extensive light rail system) has been pretty quiet when I've used it. But L.A. is much more auto-oriented, so it's not as popular. I used Metro in the DC area for years. Can't remember any interesting incidents on board. The occasional breakdown, suicide, etc. disrupting service. And the big blizzard of 1995-96 (?) led to some big, disruptive crowds as service slowly resumed.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
the HS kids on the metro never fail to make the ride interesting.......being loud, talking bout everything from the Go-Go they just came from or how they boy got stabbed/jumped @ Anacostia metro......

and last but not least.....the hype a$$ youth making improv go go beats and turning the train ride into a makeshift go go. that was always fun to watch ("Cmon slim lets CRANK!!!!!"). lol

Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger108 View Post
L.A. metro vs. the Department of Motor Vehicles??? L.A.'s subways at least (there's a more extensive light rail system) has been pretty quiet when I've used it. But L.A. is much more auto-oriented, so it's not as popular. I used Metro in the DC area for years. Can't remember any interesting incidents on board. The occasional breakdown, suicide, etc. disrupting service. And the big blizzard of 1995-96 (?) led to some big, disruptive crowds as service slowly resumed.
Ha! DC, Maryland, Virginia (the suburbs).

I'd say one could've called me and my friends an interesting bunch while using Metro yesterday during the afternoon rush hour getting home from hanging in U Street/Shaw and DuPont Circle. The way we talked to each other and the occasions when we break into a song (wasn't too loud though lol). Good times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC