Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,456,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
So in New York City there is a flat fare on the subway. No matter how far you travel you pay the same price. Is there a reason Metro cannot do the same? I am so tired of all the fare hikes. I feel like Metro would get so many more riders and make more money if the fares were cheaper. Metro says its for maintenance and operation, however NYC has far more lines with far more maintenance going on and they can still afford a flat price and have 24 hour service. Why can't DC do it?
The interest payments on MTA's debt alone are the size of the WMATA budget. They borrowed tens of billions of dollars they have no way, or plan, of paying back other than a bailout from Albany. That's how MTA has a low flat fare, and that's why we won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,985,086 times
I don't know why people care about the fare structure. You just swipe your smart card through the turnstile and then fill it when it gets low.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I don't know why people care about the fare structure. You just swipe your smart card through the turnstile and then fill it when it gets low.
because it's becoming ridiculously expensive? The whole reason i started using mass transit was because it was fairly cheap and less stressful. Now its just less stressful.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

15,139 posts, read 27,747,332 times
Quote:
because it's becoming ridiculously expensive? The whole reason i started using mass transit was because it was fairly cheap and less stressful. Now its just less stressful.
It's only less stressful if you don't need to use BLUE line but still pay the higher rates

Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Walking is the cheapest.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,285,536 times
Most systems in the world are distance based; New York is an exception to the norm. Unlike Metro, however, most systems are zoned and offer unlimited passes for a combination of fare zones, usually including bus as well, which is invariably flat rate. A zone system with integrated bus fares would be a miracle for the DC region.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 PM

69 posts, read 113,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
If you compare it to New York, coming to downtown from, say Vienna is the equivalent from coming from Long Island. The New York subway does not go out to LI and you have to take commuter rail, which does cost
more and is based on distance. The DC system is a hybrid between a commuter system and an urban subway.
I imagine NYC might charge different fares if they could, but then they would have to incur the huge expense of installing exit gates at every station and revamp their technology. It would be prohibitively expensive.
May i ask how you ever came up with this conclusion?
How far is vienna to downtown dc? 16 17 miles lets say?

Brooklyn and queens to Manhattan is about the same if not more.
People also travel from brooklyn-queens, queens-bronx, brooklyn-bronx which is may more miles then the highest fare metro charges for its distance. Folks in NYC take the train/bus to get to school and work and not everyone congregates in Manhattan during rush hour. My travel from queens to 125st was longer then any metro i could of taken here.
Very few, but some even take the entire A train route which is 30+ miles just by itself.

Queens is part of long island so it means that the subway does go to long island. The LIRR goes out much further out and is a direct comparison to the Marc and Virgina express.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Why should we run our subway system like New York's?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:27 AM

494 posts, read 849,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514 View Post
May i ask how you ever came up with this conclusion?
How far is vienna to downtown dc? 16 17 miles lets say?

Brooklyn and queens to Manhattan is about the same if not more.
People also travel from brooklyn-queens, queens-bronx, brooklyn-bronx which is may more miles then the highest fare metro charges for its distance. Folks in NYC take the train/bus to get to school and work and not everyone congregates in Manhattan during rush hour. My travel from queens to 125st was longer then any metro i could of taken here.
Very few, but some even take the entire A train route which is 30+ miles just by itself.

Queens is part of long island so it means that the subway does go to long island. The LIRR goes out much further out and is a direct comparison to the Marc and Virgina express.
So I was wrong about distance, but all the places you mentioned are in NYC proper. All in the same city. Metro covers many municipalities and two states in addition to the district.
The technology part still applies, though.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:04 PM

69 posts, read 113,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
So I was wrong about distance, but all the places you mentioned are in NYC proper. All in the same city. Metro covers many municipalities and two states in addition to the district.
The technology part still applies, though.
oh yeah of course, wasn't trying to argue why DC metro system isn't flat rate. I agree with pretty much what you said. Just trying to point out that a huge and complex system can be flat rate, like the subway.Your first argument sounded like the subway wasn't large enough to justify flat rates and that the LIRR zone charges are the results of the larger distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC