Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM

13 posts, read 24,953 times

Advertisements

Thank you all! I know I'm worrying about nothing, but you all have helped calm those unnecessary worries. I really appreciate it! I am a diligent person, so I think I will be okay, but it's good to know how drivers act when you are a pedestrian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM

40 posts, read 67,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupluv168 View Post
I think I found a place to live for a very reasonable price off New Hampshire Ave NW and 17th.
This neighborhood is among the higher rental rates in the city. If the price seems too good to be true, be careful as it might be a scam.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 24,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Tudor View Post
This neighborhood is among the higher rental rates in the city. If the price seems too good to be true, be careful as it might be a scam.
Yeah, I meant reasonable for the neighborhood. I think I almost passed out when if I first saw the prices for the area. A 400 sq foot studio is 2.5x the price of my 800 sq foot 1 bedroom here. But it is is in line with rents for studios in the area. And the property management company is aware of the sublet - I talked to them directly. The application is directly through them. I have received soooo many scam emails though. I was shocked. Thank you!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
let me just clarify one thing that i might not have been clear on: People call the subway system in dc "the metro." while the metro technically does include the bus system, usually when you say metro you mean the train, and most of the time people will add in that they mean bus if they are talking about the bus system.
+1

Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post

WARNING -- DC Drivers, statisically, are the worst drivers in the nation. Worse than NYC drivers. in fact, I have heard a number of NYC drivers say something to the effect of "Yah, we are bad, but DC is worse." I have never seen suck recklessly impatient drivers in my life. If I am to get harmed before I leave DC, it will not be from mugging, but from getting struck by some impatient motorist. They absolutely DO NOT yield to pedestrians when they are tying to cross, even when you very obviously have the right away (20+ seconds and the walking white stick figure). I have nearly been struck as a car careens around the corner as I am in the middle of the road already, it is insane..or they try to narrowly avoid you as if the 10 seconds they save will make a difference. Drivers are so bad here, the WARNING above is more than neccessary. Be careful. Be safe.
That's not true at all. Unlike Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix or any other horrible mess of sprawl, drivers in DC coexist with pedestrians and bicycles. Drivers are conditioned to be aware of other road users and look out for them (not out of some high ideal, but just because they don't want to have vehicular manslaughter on their record. Like New York, DC pedestrians will walk when they have the right of way).

It's happened, but is extremely rare that a car doesn't stop when the driver sees me in the crosswalk. I've had vastly more trouble walking across a street in Pittsburgh or Baton Rouge than I do here.

So, to put your mind at ease OP: CMusic is wrong. Drivers here regularly stop for pedestrians. It happens dozens of times a day for me.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM

536 posts, read 610,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Drivers here regularly stop for pedestrians. It happens dozens of times a day for me.
NO. They do not. Sorry, they are horrible drivers and anyone who takes the time to do some research will find DC drivers rank as the worst drivers in the nation. I remember seeing a group of children crossing the street once and two of them tripped over each other..a few seconds later the cars started to go on green...I had to run back waving my hands like a wild man as the children were on the ground helpless, there friends perplexed/stunned/trying to get them up. I have run into horrid scenes like this before. They are atrociously bad and dangerously impatient and a number one ranking as nations worst drivers will show it, with Alexandria and Arlington ranking in the Top 10 as well. Three years and numerous wild hand motioning to get motorists to slow down has proven to be exhausting over the long run as they come within feet of clipping you from behind, as they try to make the corner...all while i try to just make it safely across.

Yes, they are that bad. Don't be too at ease..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

It's happened, but is extremely rare
Happens nearly every day here, either to me, or seeing it happen to someone else...getting clipped by some person in a rush...they love to find that exact, precise moment when they can turn but just miss the person crossing...As if the few extra seconds saved makes a difference. Thing is, other people are not precise and don't act according to what you want...

This is an absolute perfect example of the DC driver mentality...The only difference is, most people are abiding by the rules, unlike the girl in the story below. This is a quote from another post (name edited) that shows how DC drivers behave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A******DC View Post
Saw a girl the other day walking towards me in my lane of travel. I barely hit the brakes...intentionally gave her all of 2 feet (max). I knew I wasn't going to hit her....but I sure hope it scared the **** out of her. She shouldn't have been walking in high heels....perhaps then she could have navigated the snowy sidewalks.
'Cept, almost on a daily basis they will barely hit the breaks and miss you by two feet as you are crossing LEGALLY, with very obvious (20+ seconds, walking white man signal) right of way.

Last edited by Cmusic29; 03-22-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
There are some impatient drivers and some clueless pedestrians in DC, but in general the scale of the city makes it pedestrian-friendly and Dupont is a nice, safe neighborhood to spend a summer. This is really all the OP needs to know at this point. Assuming she exercises common sense and remains reasonably alert to her surroundings, she should have a good time.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
NO. They do not. Sorry, they are horrible drivers and anyone who takes the time to do some research will find DC drivers rank as the worst drivers in the nation. I remember seeing a group of children crossing the street once and two of them tripped over each other..a few seconds later the cars started to go on green...I had to run back waving my hands like a wild man as the children were on the ground helpless, there friends perplexed/stunned/trying to get them up. I have run into horrid scenes like this before. They are atrociously bad and dangerously impatient and a number one ranking as nations worst drivers will show it, with Alexandria and Arlington ranking in the Top 10 as well. Three years and numerous wild hand motioning to get motorists to slow down has proven to be exhausting over the long run as they come within feet of clipping you from behind, as they try to make the corner...all while i try to just make it safely across.

Yes, they are that bad. Don't be too at ease..

Happens nearly every day here, either to me, or seeing it happen to someone else...getting clipped by some person in a rush...they love to find that exact, precise moment when they can turn but just miss the person crossing...As if the few extra seconds saved makes a difference. Thing is, other people are not precise and don't act according to what you want...

This is an absolute perfect example of the DC driver mentality...The only difference is, most people are abiding by the rules, unlike the girl in the story below. This is a quote from another post (name edited) that shows how DC drivers behave:

'Cept, almost on a daily basis they will barely hit the breaks and miss you by two feet as you are crossing LEGALLY, with very obvious (20+ seconds, walking white man signal) right of way.
Ah, I see your problem. Your standards are too high. You're probably freaking out and waving your hands over nothing in most cases (anecdotes about forlorn children stranded in the street aside).

If a driver is missing you by a couple feet and not making you break cadence, that's a good driver. They only have to give you the right of way; they don't have to give you a 10 foot buffer or something. When I drive, I do the same. I'm not being impatient; just taking my turn when the pedestrians are clear enough to go.

Just today, I had multiple vehicles stop and patiently wait for me to go through the crosswalk when I had the right of way. Two cars overshot the stop line at a light and actually backed out of the crosswalk so I wouldn't have to go around them. That's not going to happen most places in the US.

Statistically bad drivers doesn't equate to drivers making it dangerous for pedestrians; it just means they might get in more accidents with other drivers. There are about 80 pedestrian fatalities in the entire DC metro area each year; about 332 motorized vehicle fatalities.

In DC proper in 2012, 8 pedestrians were killed. That's not a terribly high number of pedestrian deaths for a regional population of about 6 million or a city population of ~650,000.

But, the people who do almost hit me generally have Maryland plates for whatever reason.

Anyway - that's all a different topic. I just didn't want this newcomer unnecessarily paranoid.
JEB77's right. The OP has the answer needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC