Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 6,935 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Single woman currently living in NW close to U St and debating whether to find another place in the U St/14th area or venture down to SW or SE waterfront areas. I really like being able to walk out my door and have different place to walk to on U St but also love the Waterfront.

Can anyone give me an idea if there will be any significant restaurant or store openings in the next 2 to 4 months down there? I think SW/SE would be an excellent area to buy right now being that the Wharf finally broke ground but being that I'll only be renting for a few months I'm wondering if I'll enjoy living there with limited choices of things to do or walk to.

For those of you that like the Waterfront, would you suggest the SW or the SE side? I've looked at some nice places in both quadrants such as sky house and capitol yards.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
The only place opening in the next few months is Masala Art (Indian restaurant) right by the Waterfront metro stop. They also have a location in Tenley. It will be a good 2-3 years before anything opens at the Wharf development. There will probably be a few places opening around Nationals Park in the next year or two, but none that I know of offhand. Several restaurants just opened at Navy Yard in the last few months: Osteria Moroni, Bluejacket, and Agua 301.

Personally I prefer where I live at Waterfront vs. Navy Yard, with the former being older and more mature and the latter being lots of new construction (boring, IMHO), without mature landscape. But Navy Yard is all shiny and new and Waterfront is older and more 60s retro, and people usually like one or the other.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM

Oh I forgot you also asked about stores. No new retail has been announced as far as I know. There is a local SW blog that you may want to follow: Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM

536 posts, read 610,440 times
If you are moving to any one neighborhood in DC based on restuarants..umm..good luck. If you are moving to the city, in general, for good eats, just go to NYC or Boston..or if you want a smaller feeling big city, Philadelphia, which are all vastly superior for food. There are tons of superior cities for eating just in the North East and Mid Atlantic. I've been here for three years and it is NOT because of the food, trust me..though I have tried to find good eats, there just aren't any (and I have gone on numerous forums, yelp, etc. looking for advice and even gone to high end places). DC food scene is "NYC prices without NYC qualitly", is the best way to put it. So in my opinion and not to sound rude, but moving to any one place within DC based on restuarants, is, kind of silly.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
If you are moving to any one neighborhood in DC based on restuarants..umm..good luck. If you are moving to the city, in general, for good eats, just go to NYC or Boston..or if you want a smaller feeling big city, Philadelphia, which are all vastly superior for food. There are tons of superior cities for eating just in the North East and Mid Atlantic. I've been here for three years and it is NOT because of the food, trust me..though I have tried to find good eats, there just aren't any (and I have gone on numerous forums, yelp, etc. looking for advice and even gone to high end places). DC food scene is "NYC prices without NYC qualitly", is the best way to put it. So in my opinion and not to sound rude, but moving to any one place within DC based on restuarants, is, kind of silly.
So you completely dismiss Ethiopian food?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 PM

465 posts, read 928,079 times
Navy Yard (SE) is way better than SW. Lower crime, much more stuff to do.

Restaurants/bars: Justin's Cafe, Lot 38, Park Tavern, Gordon Biersch, Kruba Thai/Sushi, Bluejacket, Nando's, Osteria Morini, Agua 301, Cornercopia, 5 Guys, Potbelly, Subway. Big Stick, TaKorean, 100 Montaditos, and Ice Cream Jubilee are coming soon this year, along with a Harris Teeter at 4th and M.

There's also kayaking, baseball, an ice rink, and a trapeze school. Movies on thursdays outside during the summer and free waterfront concerts on the waterfront.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Navy Yard (SE) is way better than SW. Lower crime, much more stuff to do.

Restaurants/bars: Justin's Cafe, Lot 38, Park Tavern, Gordon Biersch, Kruba Thai/Sushi, Bluejacket, Nando's, Osteria Morini, Agua 301, Cornercopia, 5 Guys, Potbelly, Subway. Big Stick, TaKorean, 100 Montaditos, and Ice Cream Jubilee are coming soon this year, along with a Harris Teeter at 4th and M.

There's also kayaking, baseball, an ice rink, and a trapeze school. Movies on thursdays outside during the summer and free waterfront concerts on the waterfront.
Just curious - where are you getting your crime stats from?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Just curious - where are you getting your crime stats from?
I've never felt unsafe in SW. The only eerie part about it is that sometimes it's too quiet.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 6,935 times
Thank you thus far for your comments, they have been helpful.

Cmusic29, just to reiterate what I said in my original post, I already live in DC, not moving from a new city. I agree with you that it would be "silly" to move to a city just for it's food scene but I know you're not trying to be rude. Of course other big cities have a better restaurant scene in DC and I would know, since I'm in the restaurant biz in DC but not familiar with what's going on south of NW.

I am simply trying to decide if I'll be, for a lack of better words, somewhat "bored" if I move to sw/se since it does not have the restaurant and nightlife scene that U St does. I'm hoping a few people that live in the sw/se area could shine some light on what makes living in these areas nice so I can consider if it would indeed be a nice change of pace if I move down there.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM

69 posts, read 113,095 times
Its a boring area, i cannot lie about that. But the fact that it isn't traffic ridden and noisy 24/7 is what makes me like SW.
If i want to go out and have fun i can always metro to U-street, greenline, or ride the capitol bike share. After fun i would taxi or bike home and enjoy the quiet. The greener environment is also nice and getting seafood when i want is good too.

I had the same dilemma two years ago, but because i need to drive to MD everyday for work made me pick SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC