Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM

536 posts, read 610,303 times

Advertisements

This will explain some of my odd postings a while back. You know, looking for the best routes to Suitland or Branch Ave (Maryland board) or Vienna (Virginia board). I did not want to speak much about my goal at the time so I usually just kind of said "walking routes or biking routes" even though I fully intended to run the whole thing.

Copied from my facebook:

AND with that 16.4 mile run (26.5 km) To Vienna metro station. I have now run to ALL EIGHTY SIX (86) Metro stations in the DC metro area using unique routes (as much as possible) starting from my house/street where I live. Done with this massive goal which totaled nearly 800 miles or nearly 1300 km (Franconia Springfield being the longest at 18.5 miles/30 km) and lasted 9 months. I have seen tons of amazing/interesting/odd things, run through freezing cold, snow, rain, freezing rain, wind, change of seasons, sun. I have battled many things in those 9 months including a nasty sprained ankle for ten days, severe sickness for a week, extreme fatigue at one point for a week. Right now, I am sore as hell, tired, in need of a break from running for a while but also happy..But also sad a little because I will miss this crazy goal of mine now that it is done. Thanks to the random stranger I will likely never see again who took the photo (attached to the post) of me minutes after I finished my goal. I do not know what else to say but...The run was symbolic of my stay in DC. Vienna is where I first started (even if only for a night) and friendship heights is where I am now and very likely where I will spend my last night in the area. This run symbolizes the start and end to a crazy (nearly) 3 years of DMV living!

So, feel free to ask any questions you want about this. About routes, what the heck I was thinking doing something seemingly so random (I assume that is what people will think) or anything else!

Last edited by Cmusic29; 04-05-2014 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,360 times
Hah, that's awesome. Congrats on hitting your goal. It would actually be pretty cool if they did an Express article on this.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Now that's what I call good exercise! Congrats on the new achievement And I like how you masked your real intentions lol, if you're the only person to do this in the DMV, you should be booked in the Guinness of World Records!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
This will explain some of my odd postings a while back. You know, looking for the best routes to Suitland or Branch Ave (Maryland board) or Vienna (Virginia board). I did not want to speak much about my goal at the time so I usually just kind of said "walking routes or biking routes" even though I fully intended to run the whole thing.

Copied from my facebook:

AND with that 16.4 mile run (26.5 km) To Vienna metro station. I have now run to ALL EIGHTY SIX (86) Metro stations in the DC metro area using unique routes (as much as possible) starting from my house/street where I live. Done with this massive goal which totaled nearly 800 miles or nearly 1300 km (Franconia Springfield being the longest at 18.5 miles/30 km) and lasted 9 months. I have seen tons of amazing/interesting/odd things, run through freezing cold, snow, rain, freezing rain, wind, change of seasons, sun. I have battled many things in those 9 months including a nasty sprained ankle for ten days, severe sickness for a week, extreme fatigue at one point for a week. Right now, I am sore as hell, tired, in need of a break from running for a while but also happy..But also sad a little because I will miss this crazy goal of mine now that it is done. Thanks to the random stranger I will likely never see again who took the photo (attached to the post) of me minutes after I finished my goal. I do not know what else to say but...The run was symbolic of my stay in DC. Vienna is where I first started (even if only for a night) and friendship heights is where I am now and very likely where I will spend my last night in the area. This run symbolizes the start and end to a crazy (nearly) 3 years of DMV living!

So, feel free to ask any questions you want about this. About routes, what the heck I was thinking doing something seemingly so random (I assume that is what people will think) or anything else!
We will definitely miss you and I hope you'll accomplish a similar feat in Bogota What you just did sounded like a "Kings and Queens" moment by 30 Seconds To Mars (Love that song!!!!), we as human beings are capable of many, many great things that we may not even be aware of sometimes. And you just demonstrated that Cmusic Now go out there and see the world and experience brand new opportunities! Hopefully I'll follow in your footsteps one day.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
We will definitely miss you and I hope you'll accomplish a similar feat in Bogota What you just did sounded like a "Kings and Queens" moment by 30 Seconds To Mars (Love that song!!!!), we as human beings are capable of many, many great things that we may not even be aware of sometimes. And you just demonstrated that Cmusic Now go out there and see the world and experience brand new opportunities! Hopefully I'll follow in your footsteps one day.
That is really sweet of you to say. Thanks. Thanks to all three of you!

Funny thing is, I am 29. I am from Connecticut and had been all around the world but up until three years ago, I had never seen the nations capital! Taken great pride in getting to know the area and really seen a lot of great things!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
That is really sweet of you to say. Thanks. Thanks to all three of you!

Funny thing is, I am 29. I am from Connecticut and had been all around the world but up until three years ago, I had never seen the nations capital! Taken great pride in getting to know the area and really seen a lot of great things!
Your welcome And you know, I'm 21 myself and outside the DC area, I've been to South Florida, the Carolina's, Baltimore, Annapolis, Ocean City in MD, New York City twice, LA last year, Hampton Roads, Atlantic City, and Richmond. Not bad for me IMO, but I still wanna see even more of the country. I'm also glad that I finally got my passport last summer!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Congrats!! Out of curiosty, did you run back from any of them? If so, did you take a different route?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM

160 posts, read 279,280 times
Awesome!! What was your favorite or most memorable run?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Great way to see and learn DC. Kudos!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Congrats!! Out of curiosty, did you run back from any of them? If so, did you take a different route?
Some of the ones that are closer to me, I did, like Cleveland Park. But, after a ten year lay off from running, I had just picked up running again in june. So this started out with me just seeing how far I could go from my house and using different metro stops as kind of an "escape" if I got tired. In other words, and as an example: I would say to myself "I think I can make it to the National Mall at this point and time (from where I live near Chevy Chase Circle) but if I get tired I can stop at Farragut North before turning towards the Mall." Stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen391 View Post
Awesome!! What was your favorite or most memorable run?
Anacostia on my day off on the 26th of November was one of the most memorable. It was freezing rain the entire run but I just felt I had to get out there and run that day because I knew I would travel very soon and load up on crazy amounts of food back home for Turkey day (this was a way to feel less guilty about that). I have never seen Anacostia so quiet as when I arrived! Van Dorn on the 14th of Feb. Again, I was feeling like a "shut in" during those days with all the snow at the time and I just willed by way out the door. A lot of the sidewalks closer to Van Dorn metro were covered in snow and I ran on top of the snow, felt almost like a Military drill, lifting the legs up through all that snow. Favorite? Even though it was tough (at the time), Foggy Bottom, took a very round about way going via Delcaria (if I spelled the street name correctly) despite that street lacking sidewalks and near Sibley hospital. But it was an interesting part of the city...or going across Chain Bridge on the way to East/West Falls church provides for some amazing sights!

Last edited by Cmusic29; 04-06-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC