Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
DC never had a working class white ethnic community like cities further north did. Thats mainly bc DC is a govt town, there were no hard factories here. DC always had soft sissy pretentious yuppies its just before 2008-2009 they werent trying to colonize and overrun every working class and poor neighborhood east of 16th street.....

But DC blacks are some of the craziest mfers on the east coast......They get into with Baltimore people almost every time they see each other and NY dope boys and fly guys get robbed ALOT down there.....they just dont act untouchable like NYers and they dont walk around angry all day and all night like Philly folks lol
Actually, DC did had a working class ethnic white community from the 1870s to the 1960s. Look at the history of Southwest (a LOT of immigrants from Central Europe, Southern Europe, and Eastern Europe). Chinatown used to be a German neighborhood, the original Chinatown is where the L'Enfant Plaza currently is I believe, the area around Union Station used to be the defunct Swampoodle Irish neighborhood (it even had a notorious Southie-like reputation too), Upper 16th Street Heights used to be a Jewish enclave (there were even a lot of Jewish businesses Downtown as well), Brookland was an Irish enclave as well, there used to be a small Italian enclave somewhere in DC as well (forgot specifically where), etc. There's plenty more. DC wasn't just WASPy white Americans, Georgetown blacks, and emigrant blacks from the South. Diversity is nothing new to DC, and the current demographic changes are hardly unfamiliar either. DC may not have been a melting pot like New York City or Philadelphia or even Boston back in those days, but it wasn't a solidly black and WASPy white town like Atlanta, Richmond, Charleston, Birmingham, etc. either. Plus, DC does have a few light industrial areas, but they're nothing like you'd see in Baltimore, Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc. Hell, even some cities in the South look like they have more imposing looking industrial areas than DC.

Last edited by tcave360; 04-15-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
DC never had a working class white ethnic community like cities further north did. Thats mainly bc DC is a govt town, there were no hard factories here. DC always had soft sissy pretentious yuppies its just before 2008-2009 they werent trying to colonize and overrun every working class and poor neighborhood east of 16th street.....

But DC blacks are some of the craziest mfers on the east coast......They get into with Baltimore people almost every time they see each other and NY dope boys and fly guys get robbed ALOT down there.....they just dont act untouchable like NYers and they dont walk around angry all day and all night like Philly folks lol
Lol some people think Southeast dudes have a huge chip on their shoulders, I can only image how Philly dudes are like (haven't been up there yet).

Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 PM

249 posts, read 399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Lol some people think Southeast dudes have a huge chip on their shoulders, I can only image how Philly dudes are like (haven't been up there yet).
Philly dudes like Baltimore dudes with more NY influence.
SE and NE DC cats are worse, very petty and territorial, same with parts of Uptown and SW.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
SE and NE DC cats are worse, very petty and territorial, same with parts of Uptown and SW.
I know right, even the girls be mad crazy as hell at times lol

Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
DC goons are RUTHLESS if u warring with em or got issues with em (the local keyboard warriors in these boards wouldnt even look in their direction in real life). If youre just minding your business, and you dont have any chains or clothes they want.....they some of the friendliest killers and trappers known to man lbVs

Further up north u walking down the street minding your own, the local corner boys, trappers and bangers will straight mean mug you. @ most, a NY guy would try to sell you something (yo my man I got that new dipset, I got some piff, I got the new foams whats good my n****A?) DC guys?

*walking....i make eye contact...I nod my head to say wats up*
DC guy: aye slim! whats good??!!
Me: Chillin, on my way to work
DC guy: thats wassup, I just got outta jail cuz!
Me: Damn dude, what you go in for
DC guy: carjacking, but im good now slim!
Me: ight, stay up.....

Conversations like these happened ALOT when I ran into those guys, true story.....

PS I notice you called a certain part of NW uptown. Glad to know im not the only one on these boards familiar with the DC that DC NATIVES know......

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

249 posts, read 399,188 times
Quote:
DC goons are RUTHLESS if u warring with em or got issues with em (the local keyboard warriors in these boards wouldnt even look in their direction in real life). If youre just minding your business, and you dont have any chains or clothes they want.....they some of the friendliest killers and trappers known to man lbVs

Further up north u walking down the street minding your own, the local corner boys, trappers and bangers will straight mean mug you. @ most, a NY guy would try to sell you something (yo my man I got that new dipset, I got some piff, I got the new foams whats good my n****A?) DC guys?

*walking....i make eye contact...I nod my head to say wats up*
DC guy: aye slim! whats good??!!
Me: Chillin, on my way to work
DC guy: thats wassup, I just got outta jail cuz!
Me: Damn dude, what you go in for
DC guy: carjacking, but im good now slim!
Me: ight, stay up.....

Conversations like these happened ALOT when I ran into those guys, true story.....

PS I notice you called a certain part of NW uptown. Glad to know im not the only one on these boards familiar with the DC that DC NATIVES know......

Columbia Heights, Petworth, Brightwood, Kennedy street, Park View/640, and Shaw can be grimey..... I've seen some ratchet chit in those areas. The 70 bus is always a circus.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Columbia Heights, Petworth, Brightwood, Kennedy street, Park View/640, and Shaw can be grimey..... I've seen some ratchet chit in those areas. The 70 bus is always a circus.
esp 640, 7th and O (KDP), Garfield Terrace.......theres always a episode @ the wendys on georgia and Randolph....most ratchet wendys i ever been to smh......

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:

Word up! Even I knew that.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
You do realize you guys are making a wonderful case why DC gentrification should not only continue but increase rapidly. Gentrification “has become shorthand for an urban neighborhood where muggings are down and espresso is roasted.”

Thanks for illustrating perfectly why it's not only postive, but absolutely needed. Why? Because these goons cannot afford to live in these areas. Poverty based violence is pushed out by affluence. The real goal of gentrification is once again making cities safe to live in for middle class, upper middle class, and affluent people through dispersing concentrated poverty and the high crime associated with it. In other words..it works perfectly. Gentrification, violent crime rates go down, affluence and tax income for the city goes up.
For DC especially, which depends on income tax, not gentrifying would be just plain dumb.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You do realize you guys are making a wonderful case why DC gentrification should not only continue but increase rapidly. Gentrification “has become shorthand for an urban neighborhood where muggings are down and espresso is roasted.”

Thanks for illustrating perfectly why it's not only postive, but absolutely needed. Why? Because these goons cannot afford to live in these areas. Poverty based violence is pushed out by affluence. The real goal of gentrification is once again making cities safe to live in for middle class, upper middle class, and affluent people through dispersing concentrated poverty and the high crime associated with it. In other words..it works perfectly. Gentrification, violent crime rates go down, affluence and tax income for the city goes up.
For DC especially, which depends on income tax, not gentrifying would be just plain dumb.
Id take middle class out of your statement. Also the goons and working class citizens who DIDNT break the law (yes much to your disbelief they DID exist ) could afford the area just fine before gentrification.....

Ill give you credit for blatantly admitting whats obvious about the real aspirations of gentrification.....

Jeremiah's Vanishing New York: On Spike Lee & Hyper-Gentrification, the Monster That Ate New York

Gentrification became a systematic attempt to remake the central city, to take it back from the working class, from minorities, from homeless people, from immigrants who, in the minds of those who decamped to the suburbs, had stolen the city from its rightful white middle-class owners.

This policy is undeniably infused with racism and classism. A revanchist policy, bent on revenge, this “take back” of the city is an act of aggression, colonizing and terraforming as it goes, fabricating entire new environments on the bulldozed rubble of the old. And these new environments are not meant for everyone. They are expressly created for the city’s newest and most deep-pocketed residents—the children and grandchildren of the white-flight suburbanites who have come back to reclaim and restore what they’ve been told is their birthright. After all, these neighborhoods once belonged to moneyed whites.

only difference was the city wasnt stolen. No one forced the wealthy out. They CHOSE to leave ON THEIR OWN FREE WILL. Just remember that part.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: