Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times

Advertisements

No area in Dc is safe in my opinion. just to let you know crime happens all over Dc not just in one area so for you to walk to gym late and go jogging late maybe you need to live in more of the suburb vs DC. I think you need to talk to people around the community in dc and they will let you know its not a good idea for a single women to go jogging by herself at night or walk home late at night. I have never seen a single female jogging by herself at night. I have never seen a single male jog late at night. Girl you trying to get yourself killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 AM

22 posts, read 80,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
honestly... I don;t know why people come here making less than 55000 a year... seriously...

you have no choice but group housing.. end of story. If that's your bag, then fine. where are you coming from in comparison? There are very few areas in DC that I would refer to as "the hood".
I know I've said this before on this forum, but...

Up until a little over a year ago, I lived by myself in DC. I had a one bedroom in Adams Morgan. It was 700 a month. I made less than $17,000/year. I went out to bars with my friends on the weekends. I took road trips out to the Bay or ocean once in a while. I had a great quality of life.

I don't know what a lot of people are doing with their money, but as a single woman who is looking to rent, you can do it and still have a great time. You just need to know how to manage your money.

Its sad how many whiners there are on this website, making it seem as though living in DC is impossible. Its very possible, you just have to be smart about it.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 AM

22 posts, read 79,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
its not a good idea for a single women to go jogging by herself at night or walk home late at night. I have never seen a single female jogging by herself at night. I have never seen a single male jog late at night. Girl you trying to get yourself killed.
I probably wouldn't go jogging at night in Columbia Heights or any area that wasn't well lit and well populated no matter how nice the neighborhood, and I'm not talking about being out at 10pm every night. I was just talking about nights when I'd come home from work past 8 or something, a time during which some areas are definitely safer than others. I know how to be careful, however, the reason I posted was to gauge how safe I would be in an area taking all the obvious precautions. When I mentioned jogging, I was referring to when I lived in Woodley Park. I would go jogging at night (b/w 7-9pm), but I'd stay on Connecticut Ave where there were a ton of people out in restaurants etc, as well as plenty of other joggers.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 79,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByStrlight View Post
Up until a little over a year ago, I lived by myself in DC. I had a one bedroom in Adams Morgan. It was 700 a month.

I
Holy smokes! How did you manage that? Where did you find this place?

...and I definitely agree with you on people's spending habits. Other than rent/utilities and student loans (which won't kick in for 6 months), I'm not going to have many other additional regular expenses. I won't have a car, my cell phone will still be covered by my parents, and my transportation will be at least partly subsidized. I generally spend around $30-40 on food per week. I mean of course I'm not gonna be able to buy the latest Marc Jacobs handbag, but I don't think I'll be living like a pauper.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
I know I've said this before on this forum, but...

Up until a little over a year ago, I lived by myself in DC. I had a one bedroom in Adams Morgan. It was 700 a month. I made less than $17,000/year. I went out to bars with my friends on the weekends. I took road trips out to the Bay or ocean once in a while. I had a great quality of life.

I don't know what a lot of people are doing with their money, but as a single woman who is looking to rent, you can do it and still have a great time. You just need to know how to manage your money.

Its sad how many whiners there are on this website, making it seem as though living in DC is impossible. Its very possible, you just have to be smart about it.

Living in someone's basement does not count as living in a single bedroom apt, neither does living in a studio. Lets be a realistic here....$ 17,000 is about $ 500 semi-monthly. You are already in a hole trying to pay $ 700 for rent on a $ 500 compensation. Speaking of being realistic; you can't even find a single bedroom apt. in woodbridge for $ 700. I'll keep this short...won't you go ahead and tell us where you rented an apt for $ 700 in DC. I don't know much about DC, but living in a single bedroom apt that costs about $ 700 in pretty much ANY given neighborhood in Alexandria, VA is very much like trying to manufacture an Improvised Explosive Device with social work expertise. Besides, you have a better chance of winning the next American Idol than finding a single bedroom apt that avg that much in Alexandria, perhaps Arlington so how in the world would that be possible in DC

Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Living in someone's basement does not count as living in a single bedroom apt, neither does living in a studio. Lets be a realistic here....$ 17,000 is about $ 500 semi-monthly. You are already in a hole trying to pay $ 700 for rent on a $ 500 compensation. Speaking of being realistic; you can't even find a single bedroom apt. in woodbridge for $ 700. I'll keep this short...won't you go ahead and tell us where you rented an apt for $ 700 in DC. I don't know much about DC, but living in a single bedroom apt that costs about $ 700 in pretty much ANY given neighborhood in Alexandria, VA is very much like trying to manufacture an Improvised Explosive Device with social work expertise. Besides, you have a better chance of winning the next American Idol than finding a single bedroom apt that avg that much in Alexandria, perhaps Arlington so how in the world would that be possible in DC
I am rather curious of this so called 700 dollar a month place in Adams Morgan that you were in??? Where was it?

I am hardly whining on this board, I am giving people useful information, I've been living in this area for close to 8 years now.

I did meet one person living in Dupont who had a rent controlled place and was paying 800. That was 8 years ago, and those places are never available. My cousin lived in a rent controlled placed in Clarendon 9 years ago for even slightly less. Those places just aren't even available let alone around anymore.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
No area in Dc is safe in my opinion. just to let you know crime happens all over Dc not just in one area
So, how are things in the bubble? Crime happens all over everywhere. Just more often in some areas than in others.

Quote:
so for you to walk to gym late and go jogging late maybe you need to live in more of the suburb vs DC. I think you need to talk to people around the community in dc and they will let you know its not a good idea for a single women to go jogging by herself at night or walk home late at night.
This Just In: Muggers can't tell if a female jogger is married or single. In the winter, with typical cold weather jogging gear on, it's difficult to tell what gender a jogger is at all.

Quote:
I have never seen a single female jogging by herself at night. I have never seen a single male jog late at night. Girl you trying to get yourself killed.
I not only see such, but know at least a dozen men and women who jog the city streets routinely regardless of conditions. Not one of them has encountered problems, aside from the one who was knocked down by a speeding bike messenger. And that was some years ago now. Common sense, not hiding in the closet, is what's called for...

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
HA HA HA.... that was hysterical and spot on!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
I'd Rep that, but I'm not allowed.

Note to Files:
The whiners are more about venting than actually advising. It's safe to apply a Day-After-Christmas Discount to most of what they say.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM

22 posts, read 80,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
LOL It was on the second floor of a building by 18th and Belmont. It was it's own private place, no roomates whatsoever. It was privately owned and they had an ad in the city paper. Yeah, I got lucky. But if I got lucky than I'm sure other people do, too. I gave myself a few months time to look and look and look, and there it was.

It had a woodburning fireplace, too. I freakin loved that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC