Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 PM

37 posts, read 195,778 times

Advertisements

The Redskins moved out of the city several years ago. The sky didn't fall. There is a lot of activity around DC. On one hand growth means that certain things will expand beyond DC's borders. The term Washington rarely applies strictly to the 61 square miles that is truly DC. There is one that has huge implications socially, economically, and politically - national harbor. It is the biggest complex of its kind on the east coast. Some believe that it will suck the DC tourism business dry. It is actually designed to centralize regional tourism. Now even the landmark sculpture, the Awakening, is being removed from its long-time home at Haines Point to be placed at the Harbor. Some fear that this thing is going to hurt DC's restaurants and hospitality businesses. Some hope that it will stimulate growth in Prince George's county Maryland. It was a huge controversy for years for a lot of reasons, many that I am not familiar with. What do you think?

I am not particularly pro or con, just interested. Most Washington Post articles have been favorable, but that could be by design. It is huge, but it is in "dreaded" PG county. What will that mean? One thing that I have observed about this whole region is that it is not very cohesive, even though it is relatively small. Crossing the Potomac or Anacostia or a county line is like crossing the universe for many in this region. If that remains the case, maybe there is nothing to worry about depending on your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,116,792 times
National Harbor will not have a big impact on DC as everyone thinks. People who come to DC will still want to see the city and visit all of the monuments, museums and attractions. Plus DC has transportation, nightlife and an abundance of sights to see that is unmatched in our region. Don't get me wrong, NH will be great but I don't think it will sway people from wanting to see the city. There are just too many intangibles in DC's favor.

Gaylord traditionally attracts repeat convention business. They already have the place booked up for the next ten years. I think NH is a good thing for PG County. For so long the county has been overlooked as a destination for high end retail, hotels and shops due to its negative image. These corporations are foolish because they are missing out on a great demographic. Instead AA's drive to Tysons and Pentagon City to spend their disposable income. I think the PG County government has to take partial blame. Poor planning and an obsession with McMansions has hurt the county and turned it inot a bedroom community. Instead, they should be focused on building mix use development around existing Metro Stations. Where is PG's version of Bethesda to Rockville; Rosslyn to Ballston corridor? Upper Marboro sucks and should not be the county seat.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 12-13-2007 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 05:04 AM

37 posts, read 195,778 times
Very interesting, DC. That is the kind of viewpoint that makes for good discussion. Even so, isn't the goal of NH to be the place where visitors to the mall and monuments stay also, not just conventioneers? In other words, instead of choosing from hotels scattered all over the area, isn't the idea to get them to stay at NH? Why wouldn't that affect the other hospitality centers?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,116,792 times
Honestly,

You make a good point. Indirectly, they will be competing with DC hotels but until some sort of transportation is put in place to connect it with the city, I think your typical DC tourist will opt out.

Actually, I think NH will attract more people from the region than outsiders. People who probably would have never got a hotel room in the city but now want to stay on the grounds of NH just to experience it. It will become a destination like the Inner Harbor, Georgetown, Old Town etc. I think it's going to be a big hit. Once they connect the DC light rail, that place will be booming. Tourist and people who don't have cars will now want to check it out. It's a matter of time.

Getting back to PG County. I think the county should continue to be agressive and look for this TOD. Outside of the Beltway, PG is underdeveloped. I have co-workers who have no idea about it and have lived in the region all of their lives. They have no reason to go to PG unless it is a Skins game or Terps BB. I tell them all the time about million dollar homes in Tantallion. My aunt lives in Sera Estates, so I know all about the county.

The media is also responsible because they harp on and on about the bad parts of PG. I grew up in NW DC a short distance from the Montgomery County line. Certain parts are just as rough. But looking at the news you wouldn't know it. I made a decision to ignore a lot of these posters who say "NW is safe, stay away from SE DC." This is an ignorant statement. People who really know DC, know how to manuever the city. Just like SE, parts of NW are crazy.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 AM

741 posts, read 2,774,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyMan View Post
The Redskins moved out of the city several years ago. The sky didn't fall. There is a lot of activity around DC. On one hand growth means that certain things will expand beyond DC's borders. The term Washington rarely applies strictly to the 61 square miles that is truly DC. There is one that has huge implications socially, economically, and politically - national harbor. It is the biggest complex of its kind on the east coast. Some believe that it will suck the DC tourism business dry. It is actually designed to centralize regional tourism. Now even the landmark sculpture, the Awakening, is being removed from its long-time home at Haines Point to be placed at the Harbor. Some fear that this thing is going to hurt DC's restaurants and hospitality businesses. Some hope that it will stimulate growth in Prince George's county Maryland. It was a huge controversy for years for a lot of reasons, many that I am not familiar with. What do you think?

I am not particularly pro or con, just interested. Most Washington Post articles have been favorable, but that could be by design. It is huge, but it is in "dreaded" PG county. What will that mean? One thing that I have observed about this whole region is that it is not very cohesive, even though it is relatively small. Crossing the Potomac or Anacostia or a county line is like crossing the universe for many in this region. If that remains the case, maybe there is nothing to worry about depending on your perspective.
I really don't know why that thing is WAYYY out there, it's literally in the middle of nowhere. If I wanted to set up a conference I would want to be where the action is by being in the middle of the city such as the convention centre, not on some giant building with nothing but highways around it. I like Haines Point a lot, it's what I like to refer to as a hidden secret place you can go chill out at, It really sucks they are moving that statue.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM

82 posts, read 566,646 times
personally I would much rather attend a conference in the city (any city that is) as opposed to one in the outlying areas. I like to be able to get out on foot, or use public transportation to see and explore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: