Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all
This is my first Christmas in the DC area. I was wondering if there's anything I should not miss or go see or somewhere I should go eat etc (not necessarily ON Christmas Day) I.E. What says Christsmas in DC to you? My birthday is on December 22 and I might want to go into DC then.

And question #2 is... where's a good Greek restaurant in the area? I've been to Zatinya.. it was good, but it was $80!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
$80? That's not too bad. The Greek Taverna in McLean is nice. More I would think in the warmer weather when you can better enjoy the wisterias, but still good anytime. Not at all pretentious or fancy, but the service is warm and friendly, and the food is both excellent (as in I'm not just making that up...it's really good!) and fairly reasonable. Wine can be on the pricey side, but you should still be able to beat $80 for two...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
Zatinya is a good choice. But what type of food do you want to eat and what budget? Give us some ideas

Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 79,400 times
Well...I was reluctant at first to give you advice about DC. I don't live there and I have tons of questions to ask other forum members.

I did visit DC for 3 earlier this month to attend my cousins wedding though and we went to 2 greek restaurants owned by other relatives.

I will be honest though...

We went to this place in Rockville called MYKONOS. The food was not bad...you know they had vegetables and stuffed tomatoes with meatballs or grilled chicken. The house wine was acceptable.

I am not an avid enthusiast of greek food though. If you like the cuisine than this place was not bad. It was clean, cosy and the service was friendly.

We went to another small place that was very close to Capitol Hill but unfortunately I can't remember the name. Sorry...I had no sense of direction and location since I had never been in the area before.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Thanks for all the Greek Restaurant recommendations.

My key question was about Christmas and not necessarily just restaurants to go to (I'll eat anything if it's good!) Just what sights and things around DC say Christmas to you. Certain Christmas light displays, can't miss a certain lit tree at a town center, etc. I'd like to go to into DC somewhere between Dec 21 to Dec 24 and do something... see something, but what I don't know.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 AM

go check out the White House and Capitol Hill Christmas trees for a nice leisurely long walk on the mall in the evening. (wear some comfortable shoes).

Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
The Mall is always pretty at Christmas time. The National Cathedral will be beautifully decorated. It's a little tacky, but there's a Gee Wizz private home up in North Portal Estates (up 16th Street near the district line) where there is an unbelievable display of house lights.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
I'd recommend catching a performance of "A Christmas Carol" at Ford's Theater. It's playing all month, and it's something of a Christmas tradition in the area.

EDIT: I see that Ford's is closed for renovations, but the play is still going on at another DC theater.

http://www.fordstheatre.org/performances/default.aspx (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Is the Messiah still playing at the Kennedy Center still?? That's another good local holiday one you could try.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:44 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,763 times
I've heard the Ambrosia Grille in Rockville (Greek and Italian) is pretty good, and its prices are not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC