U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 PM
 
586 posts, read 1,208,627 times
Reputation: 1399

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
DC residents replaced liquor and beer with water? Lol that's a good one.
There is unless alcoholism in this.
Alcoholism and alcohol abuse is very rampant in the DC area. Especially among young people and yuppies. The DC area is home to one of the largest youth AA groups in the country called the Mid-town group. The Mid-town group is a large group of 400+ teenage, twenty something and early 30 something self-diagnosed alcoholics who have daily meetings across Montgomery County, DC and Northern Virginia. The only other metro areas that have similarly large youth AA groups are the Pacific Group in California and the Atlantic Group in NYC.

Also, the culture in DC and its wealthy suburbs normalizes alcoholism. In Montgomery County, you can buy alcohol at 7-11, sip a Patron margarita at Chipotle and see tons of people buying tons of beer and wine at the supermarket at Safeway in Olney.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Olney

You can't do any of those things across the county line in Columbia in Howard County because the culture in Columbia is completely different. Columbia is much more laid-back, accepting, unpretentious, anti-elitist and generally more integrated in terms of race and income than most of Montgomery County outside of Silver Spring, Wheaton, Gaithersburg and Takoma Park. In my opinion, the elitist culture in the wealthy DC area suburbs is very narcissistic, egotistical, selfish and self-serving, so its only natural that alcoholism is rampant there. Many children of privilege in wealthy suburban DC who grow up traveling the world, going to elite schools, joining fraternities and sororities and end up working on Capitol Hill making big bucks in their early 20's are subject to a life of extreme drinking and partying since their early teens and have unlimited access to alcohol way before turning 21. Many kids in wealthy suburban Montgomery County idolize Tom Cruise in Risky Business.

Teen binge drinking: Are the culprits pressure and parents? - On Parenting - The Washington Post

George Huguely: The Fatal Combination of Youth and Alcohol | Local News | Washingtonian

| Wasted Youth

I also think alcoholism and alcohol abuse is so normalized in DC because the aesthetically conservative "professional" culture of the DC area and the government jobs actually discourage things like recreational marijuana use. Smoking weed is something many DC area people did in high school before they "matured". DC is not like the Bay Area where people would much rather toke up daily. The variety of bars in Adam's Morgan, U Street and H Street are to DC what the open air smoking lounge of the Haight, Golden Gate Park and nightclub-like medical marijuana dispensaries and Oakersterdam are to the Bay Area. In DC, the culture for many is to work hard and hit the bars immediately after work and party hard.

It also has to do with the fact that college grads are more likely to drink regularly and drink more on average. And ugly fact about college is that it is an environment that breeds alcoholism. About half of all DC residents hold a college degree. You do the math on that one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_669000.html

Study: College Breeds Alcoholism

Many college binge drinkers and fratboys never grow out of their old habits of getting wasted at least three times a week. And DC has no shortage of overgrown frat bros who refuse to give up their tattered backwards white baseball caps, Vineyard Vines salmon pants and sockless Sperry topsider boat shoes.

DC also has the highest concentration of lawyers compared to any other city with 1 in 12 people being a lawyer in the District and lawyers have much higher rates of alcoholism than the general populace.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...3-03-28-190800

As far as DC yuppie drug use, I think it's the transplants from states like California bringing in the meth use. Meth is huge out in California and other western and midwestern states. In the DC area, meth use carries a huge stigma. But young white people are particularly fond of heroin in Maryland and the DC suburbs for some reason. Many children of Maryland suburbia and drug addicted privileged yuppies from elsewhere commute to Baltimore for their fix since Charm city has long carried the very real reputation of being a U.S. heroin capital. Currently, the largest demographic of heroin users are 20 something white people born and raised in suburbia. Approximately, 90% of new heroin users in the past ten years are white people from suburban and rural areas.

Hooked on Heroin: Why it's deadlier than ever in the D.C. suburbs | WJLA.com

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 01-05-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2015, 08:22 AM
 
1,115 posts, read 1,210,364 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
I have recently encountered about 8 or 9 people who government or private-sector who like to use "Tina" aka crystal meth. It already seems like DC residents have replaced liquor/beer with water, but is there an underlying narcotic problem here in this city? Is the federal government and its supporting clientele filled with functioning addicts? What have you seen/know? I'm very open about everyone's views.
Do these people have a clearance? If so they might lose it after taking a urine test. I work for Feds and I have never met or even heard of or work with any functional meth heads?! Trust me they'll be unemployed after awhile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Orange Virginia
814 posts, read 752,985 times
Reputation: 605
Hookers and blow, pastime of Capitol Hill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,900 posts, read 4,233,615 times
Reputation: 6773
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Do these people have a clearance? If so they might lose it after taking a urine test. I work for Feds and I have never met or even heard of or work with any functional meth heads?! Trust me they'll be unemployed after awhile.
I'd estimate that only about 1 in 4 gov't workers and gov't contractors are actually drug tested in the DC area, in part because they are mostly doing administrative work.

The rates are higher for gov't workers in the field involved in mission critical work like inspections and enforcement.

Remember that every organization will make employees sign off on an employee handbook (or equivalent) which is a tacit agreement not to use illegal substances.

So, plenty of drug use (mostly cannabis) in the gov't, though I've never known a soul who told me they did meth.

Now if we could test certain gov't execs for corruption, we'd be in better shape. By corruption I mean people (think lobbyists) who get SES appointments (usually) but are total shills for whatever industry they come from. They end up making policy that leads to more profit and advantages for their industry while eschewing mission critical things like safety, pollution, fairness, spending levels, etc. But I digress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: east coast
2,841 posts, read 2,486,428 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Alcoholism and alcohol abuse is very rampant in the DC area. Especially among young people and yuppies. The DC area is home to one of the largest youth AA groups in the country called the Mid-town group. The Mid-town group is a large group of 400+ teenage, twenty something and early 30 something self-diagnosed alcoholics who have daily meetings across Montgomery County, DC and Northern Virginia. The only other metro areas that have similarly large youth AA groups are the Pacific Group in California and the Atlantic Group in NYC.

Also, the culture in DC and its wealthy suburbs normalizes alcoholism. In Montgomery County, you can buy alcohol at 7-11, sip a Patron margarita at Chipotle and see tons of people buying tons of beer and wine at the supermarket at Safeway in Olney.

Urban Dictionary: Olney

You can't do any of those things across the county line in Columbia in Howard County because the culture in Columbia is completely different. Columbia is much more laid-back, accepting, unpretentious, anti-elitist and generally more integrated in terms of race and income than most of Montgomery County outside of Silver Spring, Wheaton, Gaithersburg and Takoma Park. In my opinion, the elitist culture in the wealthy DC area suburbs is very narcissistic, egotistical, selfish and self-serving, so its only natural that alcoholism is rampant there. Many children of privilege in wealthy suburban DC who grow up traveling the world, going to elite schools, joining fraternities and sororities and end up working on Capitol Hill making big bucks in their early 20's are subject to a life of extreme drinking and partying since their early teens and have unlimited access to alcohol way before turning 21. Many kids in wealthy suburban Montgomery County idolize Tom Cruise in Risky Business.

Teen binge drinking: Are the culprits pressure and parents? - On Parenting - The Washington Post

George Huguely: The Fatal Combination of Youth and Alcohol | Local News | Washingtonian

| Wasted Youth

I also think alcoholism and alcohol abuse is so normalized in DC because the aesthetically conservative "professional" culture of the DC area and the government jobs actually discourage things like recreational marijuana use. Smoking weed is something many DC area people did in high school before they "matured". DC is not like the Bay Area where people would much rather toke up daily. The variety of bars in Adam's Morgan, U Street and H Street are to DC what the open air smoking lounge of the Haight, Golden Gate Park and nightclub-like medical marijuana dispensaries and Oakersterdam are to the Bay Area. In DC, the culture for many is to work hard and hit the bars immediately after work and party hard.

It also has to do with the fact that college grads are more likely to drink regularly and drink more on average. And ugly fact about college is that it is an environment that breeds alcoholism. About half of all DC residents hold a college degree. You do the math on that one.

College Graduates Drink More, Poll Finds

Study: College Breeds Alcoholism

Many college binge drinkers and fratboys never grow out of their old habits of getting wasted at least three times a week. And DC has no shortage of overgrown frat bros who refuse to give up their tattered backwards white baseball caps, Vineyard Vines salmon pants and sockless Sperry topsider boat shoes.

DC also has the highest concentration of lawyers compared to any other city with 1 in 12 people being a lawyer in the District and lawyers have much higher rates of alcoholism than the general populace.

Lawyers struggle with substance abuse at nearly twice the rate of general population | Brooklyn Daily Eagle

As far as DC yuppie drug use, I think it's the transplants from states like California bringing in the meth use. Meth is huge out in California and other western and midwestern states. In the DC area, meth use carries a huge stigma. But young white people are particularly fond of heroin in Maryland and the DC suburbs for some reason. Many children of Maryland suburbia and drug addicted privileged yuppies from elsewhere commute to Baltimore for their fix since Charm city has long carried the very real reputation of being a U.S. heroin capital. Currently, the largest demographic of heroin users are 20 something white people born and raised in suburbia. Approximately, 90% of new heroin users in the past ten years are white people from suburban and rural areas.



Hooked on Heroin: Why it's deadlier than ever in the D.C. suburbs | WJLA.com
Very informative.

I really think LunaticVillage is a hybrid. A real DC ****e talker but can also back it up proper with statistics while understanding the social dynamics at play. Very interesting to see that he rarely gets challenged.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
 
586 posts, read 1,208,627 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Very informative.

I really think LunaticVillage is a hybrid. A real DC ****e talker but can also back it up proper with statistics while understanding the social dynamics at play. Very interesting to see that he rarely gets challenged.
I was expecting DC boosters to come and start saying how DC is not any drunker than any major city, which is not true. "DUI enforcement area" signs are plastered all over the beltway for a reason. DC ranks in at number nine on the top 25 drunkest cities in America list ranking much higher than stereotypically drunk cities like Las Vegas. When people think of Vegas, they think of extreme drunken debauchery and epic nights that cannot be recalled because of drunken blackouts. That's right, statistically, DC is drunker than the city where the movie The Hangover was based. DC ranks as being drunker than San Francisco, Baltimore and Philly. DC might not be Boston or Milwaulkee, but it's not far behind. Boston is a college town with proud Irish cultural roots, so that is expected. Milwaukee's culture is heavily defined by beer and the brewing industry. Even their baseball team is called the Brewers. But DC is heavily alcoholic for the reasons which I previously described.

America's 25 drunkest cities | Health - WCVB Home

Also, cocaine has long been the drug of choice in DC since even before the crack epidemic. Rayful Edmonds used to sell coke to professional lawyers, doctors and such before crack took hold in the 80's. Cocaine is a drug associated with the high paid professionals and prestigious established persons, so it's no surprise that DC has ranked as being the cocaine abuse capital of the United States many years.

In Pictures: America's Illegal Drug Capitals - Forbes

D.C. No. 1 in Cocaine Use - City Desk

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 01-07-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 1,972,216 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I was expecting DC boosters to come and start saying how DC is not any drunker than any major city, which is not true. "DUI enforcement area" signs are plastered all over the beltway for a reason. DC ranks in at number nine on the top 25 drunkest cities in America list ranking much higher than stereotypically drunk cities like Las Vegas. When people think of Vegas, they think of extreme drunken debauchery and epic nights that cannot be recalled because of drunken blackouts. That's right, statistically, DC is drunker than the city where the movie The Hangover was based. DC ranks as being drunker than San Francisco, Baltimore and Philly. DC might not be Boston or Milwaulkee, but it's not far behind. Boston is a college town with proud Irish cultural roots, so that is expected. Milwaukee's culture is heavily defined by beer and the brewing industry. Even their baseball team is called the Brewers. But DC is heavily alcoholic for the reasons which I previously described.

America's 25 drunkest cities | Health - WCVB Home

Also, cocaine has long been the drug of choice in DC since even before the crack epidemic. Rayful Edmonds used to sell coke to professional lawyers, doctors and such before crack took hold in the 80's. Cocaine is a drug associated with the high paid professionals and prestigious established persons, so it's no surprise that DC has ranked as being the cocaine abuse capital of the United States many years.

In Pictures: America's Illegal Drug Capitals - Forbes

D.C. No. 1 in Cocaine Use - City Desk
Okay, we get the point. No one is arguing DC's drunkenness and apparently drug use too. No need to prove your point to the DC Boosters that were in your imagination.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM
 
586 posts, read 1,208,627 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Okay, we get the point. No one is arguing DC's drunkenness and apparently drug use too. No need to prove your point to the DC Boosters that were in your imagination.
I think it's only natural that DC has big issues with alcoholism and drug addiction. After all, substance abuse and addiction, in itself, is an incredibly expensive luxury. It's an ego boost to be able to afford to drop around $100+ a night drinking overpriced watered down $10+ mixed drinks or shots and $5 Heinekens and eating unreasonably priced generic bar food at some douchey lounge or bar while listening to whatever you can remember the DJ was playing or whatever stranger who you were talking to before browning out and not remembering exactly how you got home or recalling any of the faces that were on the street when you left the bar. Not to mention those who pop $600 bottles of Grey Goose trying to be like multimillionaire celebrities on the weekends sitting with their friends behind velvet ropes at pretentious nightclubs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top