Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
I just found out I might be able to arrive at work at 6:00 or 6:30 am and leave at 2:30 or 3:00 pm. So I'm avoiding rush hour.

Does that change your stance?
in the morning that's almost always good. In The afternoon, it's usually good to be out before 3 pm, but not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 04:51 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
I just found out I might be able to arrive at work at 6:00 or 6:30 am and leave at 2:30 or 3:00 pm. So I'm avoiding rush hour.

Nope. That doesn't change the price of parking. Nor does it change the nature of this area.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:01 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
Quote:

In my opinion, no. Commutes here are often terrible. You will thank yourself endlessly for choosing a home with the most limited commute possible, unless sitting in miserable traffic is your idea of a good time.

Also keep in mind that LOTS of people, especially in the government, are doing the same thing that you are proposing (getting to work super early and leaving early). Some (though not all) of the highways are packed in the early morning hours, albeit less than 7-8am, but still can be quite congested. Same goes for the early afternoon. I-66 can be jammed with traffic all times of the day.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 20,422 times
Hey Skooby -

What part of North Carolina are you coming from? I grew up in the Triangle and moved here almost ten years ago.

I know that public transportation in North Carolina is not a viable option for getting anywhere, but in DC, it really is the more efficient, less stressful way to commute. "Driving" to work in DC is like driving in rush hour in NC but with half the lanes closed for construction. You will save yourself hours and hours of aggravation every week by taking the metro to work instead of your car.

All of the neighborhoods that you and others have mentioned are fine – generally safe with at least a bearable commute – but if you can, I would suggest signing a shorter lease (like 3-6 months) until you’re more familiar with the different options.

For what it’s worth, when I first moved up, I moved to western Alexandria (near 395), and the day to day hassle of getting to and from downtown was exhausting. After that I moved to the SW Waterfront (surprisingly tranquil neighborhood for being right downtown) and now to Capitol Hill (“cluttered” compared to North Carolina neighborhoods but really nice and livable once you get accustomed to it.)

Congratulations on the new job and have fun getting to know DC!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 PM

95 posts, read 227,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuqueBlue View Post
Hey Skooby -

What part of North Carolina are you coming from? I grew up in the Triangle and moved here almost ten years ago.

I know that public transportation in North Carolina is not a viable option for getting anywhere, but in DC, it really is the more efficient, less stressful way to commute. "Driving" to work in DC is like driving in rush hour in NC but with half the lanes closed for construction. You will save yourself hours and hours of aggravation every week by taking the metro to work instead of your car.

All of the neighborhoods that you and others have mentioned are fine – generally safe with at least a bearable commute – but if you can, I would suggest signing a shorter lease (like 3-6 months) until you’re more familiar with the different options.

For what it’s worth, when I first moved up, I moved to western Alexandria (near 395), and the day to day hassle of getting to and from downtown was exhausting. After that I moved to the SW Waterfront (surprisingly tranquil neighborhood for being right downtown) and now to Capitol Hill (“cluttered” compared to North Carolina neighborhoods but really nice and livable once you get accustomed to it.)

Congratulations on the new job and have fun getting to know DC!
I'm coming from Cumberland County.

I have no problem catching the metro. I will use it, I just won't totally disregard my vehicle as I don't mind driving. Also the areas that are right near the Navy Yard are out of my price range unless I get a roommate or live in a 300 square foot studio. That's something that i'm not willing to do.

Thanks I plan to!

Last edited by Skooby; 01-02-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
I won't live in a 300-400 sq ft apartment. I would like at the very least 600-650 sq ft.

I'm going to visit all these areas soon, but just from maps and photos Capitol Hill isn't the type of area I would like to live in (seems like it's too cluttered, even moreso than the other places).

I know people keep mentioning walking distance and metro. I'm not going to be walking all over the place lol...I would really prefer to get in my car and drive. That's just what I'm used to. Maybe I'll change a little once I actually start living up there, but initially I'll be driving my vehicle.
Part of what you're running into here is that you're posting in the DC forum, which is filled with "city people," when you really seem like a suburban kind of guy. There are lots of 30-something military guys who live in the Route 1 corridor, from the Pentagon south to Fort Belvoir and beyond, so you'll probably fit in there. If you live south of Old Town Alexandria, you can also take 495 to 295 into the Yard instead of traffic-prone I-395.

Speaking of which, one part of Maryland that's convenient to the Yard is National Harbor. Most of us city people think it's weird, but everything's shiny and new and it's right off 295.

That said, I grew up in N.C. (Wake County) and now live here because I like city living. Yes, it's different, but it's great to be able to walk around and see new things on a regular basis. You might like it, too.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Part of what you're running into here is that you're posting in the DC forum, which is filled with "city people," when you really seem like a suburban kind of guy. There are lots of 30-something military guys who live in the Route 1 corridor, from the Pentagon south to Fort Belvoir and beyond, so you'll probably fit in there. If you live south of Old Town Alexandria, you can also take 495 to 295 into the Yard instead of traffic-prone I-395.

Speaking of which, one part of Maryland that's convenient to the Yard is National Harbor. Most of us city people think it's weird, but everything's shiny and new and it's right off 295.

That said, I grew up in N.C. (Wake County) and now live here because I like city living. Yes, it's different, but it's great to be able to walk around and see new things on a regular basis. You might like it, too.
I'm a city guy through and through, but I can also understanding living in the 'burbs if it's cheaper. But since he's working in the Navy Yard and he'll be making good money in 2-3 years time, it makes a ton of sense if he stays in the city. Why extend your commute another 30-45 minutes.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
It should be noted too the burbs are often not cheaper here in DC. Inside the beltway outside of PG county, the burbs are frequently as expensive or more expensive than the city itself. The only time they start to get cheaper is when you push past reasonable commuting distance. I should also note bluntly, it is ill advised to drive into the district. If you are looking for a similar thing here in DC that you encountered in the more sprawling areas of NC, you will be disappointed. This is very much a NE city in terms of density. Albiet more like Boston than NYC. Cars are sometimes needed, but best avoided if you have to option for commuting. Save the car for the weekend trips.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Welcome to the Yard.

I've been working here a little over a year.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:02 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:

When I worked at the Navy Yard, it was very common for people to work from 6:00 to 3:00, so you are not really avoiding the rush hour.

I'd suggest living in NoMa or Southwest DC, depending on your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: