U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:19 PM

95 posts, read 193,696 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I posted a thread back in October: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...ny-advice.html

It was about possible job in Falls Church. However, I was #2 on that list and instead got selected for the Navy Yard position. Which I thought was odd, since I never interviewed with them. I only interviewed with the Falls Church location. Anyway, It's a GS-11/12/13. (promotion potential to GS-13).

Have any of your worked in this area? What would you recommend as far as living (apartment)? What about commute times? (I've heard they were terrible). I'm just looking for a one bedroom apartment.

About me: 37 year old male. Single, no kids. Nightlife isn't important. I'm willing to commute 30-45 minutes.

Rent: I'm only looking for a 1 bedroom. I would like to stay under $1500 if possible.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,090,429 times
The area around the Navy Yard itself, specifically by the Navy Yard metro, has gotten pretty good in recent years. They keep building new apartment buildings and restaurants and there's a brand new Harris Teeter and also a Safeway nearby. The proximity to the Nationals Ballpark is a big plus for many. There's no nightlife but you don't care about that.

I'm pretty sure you can find 1 bedrooms in your price range there, so why not start there? It's hard to beat being able to walk to work.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,354,257 times
It's a great area but on your budget a 1bd will be a stretch. Many buildings are offering promos right now so check around. You may want to check nearby SW Waterfront; some of the older buildings have big 1bd in your price range.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:31 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,453,131 times
I would say try to find something in Capital Hill, like an English basement. You can likely find one of those in your price range, and the neighborhoods are great with the added bonus you can walk to work.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
The area around the Navy Yard itself, specifically by the Navy Yard metro, has gotten pretty good in recent years. They keep building new apartment buildings and restaurants and there's a brand new Harris Teeter and also a Safeway nearby. The proximity to the Nationals Ballpark is a big plus for many. There's no nightlife but you don't care about that.

I'm pretty sure you can find 1 bedrooms in your price range there, so why not start there? It's hard to beat being able to walk to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
It's a great area but on your budget a 1bd will be a stretch. Many buildings are offering promos right now so check around. You may want to check nearby SW Waterfront; some of the older buildings have big 1bd in your price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I would say try to find something in Capital Hill, like an English basement. You can likely find one of those in your price range, and the neighborhoods are great with the added bonus you can walk to work.
A few months ago I had gotten inteviewed for another job and had researched and looked for apartments in the Alexandria area.

How would the commute be from Alexandria to Navy Yard?

I was looking at: The Reserve at Eisenhower Apartments & The Reserve at Potomac Yard. Google maps has them at 12-22 minutes away. I'm guessing that's without traffic.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,899,202 times
For whatever reason, it's pretty common for DOD agencies to hire without interviewing. I work about 12 blocks from there on the other side of Nationals Park at Fort McNair.

If you upped your budget slightly to $1600 or $1700, you could get a 1 bedroom in a pretty nice place with a short walk to work. Waterfront SW will have slightly cheaper apartments.

If you want to drive (which is almost always faster than Metro), you will find a lot of good deals in Alexandria off of 395. If you rather take Metro, there are some very good deals out in the suburbs. Like you could get a 2BR apartment in walking distance to the Springfield Metro Station for $1300 a month: Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial or a 1BR for $1250: http://www.chelseasquareapartments.com/floorplans.aspx. That would be about a 50 minute commute from the front door of your apartment to your office (including walking).

It would be easier to help if you told us if you rather live in a more urban or suburban area and if you rather drive or take metro. Normally, it would be much cheaper to take Metro to downtown DC but you will have free parking on base.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,899,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
A few months ago I had gotten inteviewed for another job and had researched and looked for apartments in the Alexandria area.

How would the commute be from Alexandria to Navy Yard?

I was looking at: The Reserve at Eisenhower Apartments & The Reserve at Potomac Yard. Google maps has them at 12-22 minutes away. I'm guessing that's without traffic.
Don't do the Reserve at Eisenhower Apartments. It's a boring industrial area.

The Reserve at Potomac Yard would be a 15-30 minute commute depending on traffic. Mondays and Fridays are the easiest and Tuesdays-Thursdays are the worst.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
For whatever reason, it's pretty common for DOD agencies to hire without interviewing. I work about 12 blocks from there on the other side of Nationals Park at Fort McNair.

If you upped your budget slightly to $1600 or $1700, you could get a 1 bedroom in a pretty nice place with a short walk to work. Waterfront SW will have slightly cheaper apartments.

If you want to drive (which is almost always faster than Metro), you will find a lot of good deals in Alexandria off of 395. If you rather take Metro, there are some very good deals out in the suburbs. Like you could get a 2BR apartment in walking distance to the Springfield Metro Station for $1300 a month: Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial or a 1BR for $1250: Floor Plans of Chelsea Square Apartments in Springfield, VA. That would be about a 50 minute commute from the front door of your apartment to your office (including walking).

It would be easier to help if you told us if you rather live in a more urban or suburban area and if you rather drive or take metro. Normally, it would be much cheaper to take Metro to downtown DC but you will have free parking on base.
The first link you posted I wouldn't be able to live there. They have maximum income qualifications and I would make to much (maximum income is 45K): Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial

Salary:
$64k (year 1-2015, GS-11),
$76k (year 2-2016, GS-12), then finally
$90k starting year 3-2017, GS-13.

I rather live in a suburban area...I'm open though. I have never took public transportation before. I am not opposed to it but I have always lived in areas where a car was needed. I would rather drive at first then take metro as I get more used to the area.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Don't do the Reserve at Eisenhower Apartments. It's a boring industrial area.

The Reserve at Potomac Yard would be a 15-30 minute commute depending on traffic. Mondays and Fridays are the easiest and Tuesdays-Thursdays are the worst.
I'm a home-body so I don't mind boring but I'll keep that in mind.

Are you familiar with the area are Potomac Yard? What do you think of it?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,354,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
The first link you posted I wouldn't be able to live there. They have maximum income qualifications and I would make to much (maximum income is 45K): Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial

Salary:
$64k (year 1-2015, GS-11),
$76k (year 2-2016, GS-12), then finally
$90k starting year 3-2017, GS-13.

I rather live in a suburban area...I'm open though. I have never took public transportation before. I am not opposed to it but I have always lived in areas where a car was needed. I would rather drive at first then take metro as I get more used to the area.
Not sure where you're coming from originally, but the Alexandria and Arlington suburbs may not be like the suburbs you are accustomed to. Yes, parts are spread out with tract homes, but much of these areas are very built up with lots of high rise offices and apartments. Honestly, other than the pricey Ballston-Rosslyn corridor or Old Town Alexandria, I find most of Arlington and Alexandria to be pretty ugly looking and unappealing. I've lived in both Arlington and the District, and by far I like the District much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or