Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,286 times

Advertisements

I've done lots of reading on this site and seem to keep coming back to the same things, so i figured I'd post my own question.

I currently live in Rhode Island. I am finishing my Master's Degree in Boston in Political Science. I would like to move to the DC area to find a job, not specifically live in DC, rather in MD, VA, or WV. I don't want to rent, much rather just own a home. At most right now I would say 275k. I have done a little reading on the MARC and VRE, and after using the commuter rail everyday to get to Boston, this sounds like my best bet. I'm looking for a suburb, nearby to one of the rail lines. I don't really care which state I'm in, or how long the train ride is, could be the furtherest stop. I don't necessarily have to live with my back to the train station, short drive is ok. Also I'm wondering how bad the winters get. I would assume they would not nearly be as bad (cold, and as much snow) as here in New England.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 PM

51 posts, read 311,519 times
wow..... $275K? are you opposed to living in a condo? Because that's all you will find on that in this area.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,213 times
You could probably get a townhome along the MARC lines in MD for that price. Also if you go down south to Charles County in MD they have homes at that price, though it's a bit more of a drive to the Branch Ave metro. In VA you'll largely be looking at condos near the rail lines unless you go further down to Prince William or Stafford County.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
For the money, one area you might want to think about is around Point of Rocks, MD, which is a relatively sparsely populated area set into some plain old gorgeous scenery right along the Upper Potomac River. Point of Rocks itself is a small, old, and quiet town, but because the area is all but completely off the beaten path of suburban DC, you can from time to time find an older but updated SFH out there for under $300K, often including a decent parcel of land. The town has a great deal of railroad history, and the MARC Brunswick Line can get you in to Union Station in downtown DC in an hour and fifteen minutes. If you've got a little old school in you, and could appreciate some land, some green, some water, and a little bit of a slower pace in life, you might like it out that way. If you were of a mind to drop a line on top of some black bass now and again, you might like it even more. The Upper Potomac is a very good place to fish. Anyway, as I said, for the money that might be a place that could fit on the list...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,339 times
The winters are milder than those in New England but the summers are horrible.
Humid, hot and smoggy. I guess it's a trade off.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
West Virginia is your best option.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
Laurel Maryland

Old 01-08-2008, 06:58 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
You'll not have an easy time finding a house for $275K. It can probably be done, but you will most likely be looking a long way out from D.C. Since that doesn't matter to you, all the better. West Virginia might be a good place for you to look.

Growing up in Michigan, I can vouch for the milder winters here. We just got through a cold snap that lasted for about a week (mid-20s to low 30s in the morning), but now things are pretty much back to normal. My computer's weather bug shows 51 degrees here at 9 a.m. on January 8. I don't miss the brutally cold, snowy winters back home at all. The tradeoff, however, is that you also get long, hot, and VERY humid summers here. You can get drenched in sweat just standing still.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Winters in West Virginia aren't going to be better than in Rhode Island, but then summers won't be as hot as in DC. You give up a lot when you live far from where you work in this area. If you want a Washington experience, you aren't going to get it living in West Virginia.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You give up a lot when you live far from where you work in this area. If you want a Washington experience, you aren't going to get it living in West Virginia.
That's pretty much it on the dot. Many people come here wanting the experience but save money by living far away from their jobs. The reality is they don't get any of the experience cause they live too far away.

You either come here and bite the bullet or do the above. I didn't get it at first but I eventually wanted the experience and did it. I just never understood why people want to come and live so far away to save money but then never get the experience, what's the point in even coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: