Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times

Advertisements

As i have started traveling more & more recently, both overseas by plane, & up & down the coast by car, I have realized that no one calls this city DC unless you are from here. Overseas everyone calls it Washington, up & down the coast a majority of people call it Washington, all highway signs say Washington, we are called Washingtonians, almost all our sports teams are Washington _____, & the people trying to bring the Olympics here are calling it the Washington Olympics. Is it time We stop calling it DC & make it more simple for everyone by just changing the name to Washington City? I feel like it would be so much easier to adopt the name that everyone knows us by. & there really is no reason as to why we call ourselves DC. Not to mention continuing to use the term "District" implies that we are just a federal district & hinders & home rule initiatives. but what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
For those of us that were born and raised here it will always be "DC".

Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Often when people say "Washington" they mean the District plus the 'burbs. If someone says "The District" or DC, they mean just the District of Columbia.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 AM

490 posts, read 649,537 times
Most people I know call DC, "DC". And I'm not from here (or the east coast).

Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
DC is just a shorthand nickname like "Philly" for Philadelphia, "Cincy" for Cincinatti, the
"Burgh" for Pittsburgh, etc. It's alot easier to say than "Washington".

Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
The reason why it is referred to as DC even outside of the regional area, is the fact that Washington is a state in the pacific northwest. Using DC avoids confusion. I have had to clarify many times to foriegners that the state and the city are on opposite ends of the country.
It should also be noted our local government is called "The Government of the District of Columbia". Not the government of washington, DC or the government of washington. It's DC. Even the local government website is DC.gov.

So my vote is also for DC.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The reason why it is referred to as DC even outside of the regional area, is the fact that Washington is a state in the pacific northwest. Using DC avoids confusion. I have had to clarify many times to foriegners that the state and the city are on opposite ends of the country.
It should also be noted our local government is called "The Government of the District of Columbia". Not the government of washington, DC or the government of washington. It's DC. Even the local government website is DC.gov.

So my vote is also for DC.
This was discussed ad nausium a couple moths ago. Washington is also correct. The people from the state should make sure they clarify.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Often when people say "Washington" they mean the District plus the 'burbs. If someone says "The District" or DC, they mean just the District of Columbia.
I agree. Not to mention there is a Washington, VA, a Washington, PA, and a Washington County in MD. When you say the District, everyone here knows you mean the actual city.

Or the confusion when you are trying to say City of Baltimore, Baltimore County, or the Baltimore metro area. Or the City of Alexandria vs. the parts of Fairfax County called Alexandria. Or the Mt. Vernon area with a mailing address of Alexandria.

The District or DC is just super easy and doesn't cause any confusion for the locals here. I also like how it emphasizes we just aren't a city, but a weird federal creation that is kind of in a no man's land.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
I am from 'DC' and it will be "DC'

Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
But wasn't it originally named Washington to honor George Washington? By having the official name Be District of Columbia all you are doing is honoring a man who committed mass genocide. Not to mention, no one gets Kansas City confused with Kansas, everyone knows that Kansas City is in Missouri. by calling it Washington City you would avoid confusion with the state. Similar to NYC & New York, if you are from the city you add the city part t the end of New York as to not confuse people. But as everyone is saying, the official name for the district is District of Columbia, so why do we keep tacking on the Washington part at the beginning. There seems to be a lot of confusion already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: