Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 22,487 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone - I'm a first-time poster but somewhat longtime lurker here. I apologize in advance for a "please tell me where to live" thread, but I'm not finding anything both recent and relevant in a number of search forums, so I've decided to officially join the forums.

I am an American, currently working in SE Asia, where I have been based for the better part of the last decade. I am planning to relocate to DC within the next few months and would like some advice regarding places where I might consider renting.

Some information about me:
- I am in my early 40s and single (no children, no pets), but would like to be in an area where it is easy to meet others my age, both socially and romantically
- I've previously lived in Chicago and NYC, so I think I have a decent safety threshold. However, I'd prefer spots that are not terribly far off the beaten path
- My working location will vary, so while I prefer to be close to a metro line, there is no specific commute that I am trying to manage at the moment. If parking is available, I might get a car, but I don't need a car
- I may be working from home a fair amount, so I would like to be in an area that is close to gyms, cafes, etc.

My budget is $2000-2500/ month for a 1BR, though I'd prefer closer to the lower side. If I can snag a 1BR+den or a small 2BR for that price, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm currently considering DC proper and Arlington, but can be open to other suburbs (Bethesda, Alexandria, etc.) if they come highly recommended.

If there is any other information that I can provide, please let me know. TIA for any helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
For the District proper, I would recommend looking at Capitol Hill (Eastern Market) which is very suitable for your age range. Old Town Alexandria would also be very suitable for your age range. Both of those places have very easy street parking and apartments in your range. Crystal City and Pentagon City in Arlington also are slightly older than most urban neighborhoods in the area but parking would be a little more difficult.

I would avoid Ballston, Clarendon, Rosslyn, Adam's Morgan, and the U street areas because they are much younger neighborhoods, although they do have some older singles.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,726 times
You have a pleathra of options. My advice though is to stay in an older building west of the park. You are more likely to find your peer group in Chevy Chase then you are on U St. NW.

There are communities though like Takoma Park, which have better age diversity than the hyper-young areas of the city and suburbs.

So if I were to make a list...Takoma Park, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Old Town Alexandria, Capital Hill, and west of rock creed neighborhoods in general in DC.

Crystal City and Pentagon city are a little too office parky, they kind of lack the character of these neighborhoods.

Finding a 2BR will likely be difficult, so at least you are realistic. But you should be able to find a nice 1BR.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. It looks like the suburbs come more highly recommended, but are these areas single friendly or do they cater more to couples/families? I'm particularly interested in Alexandria, as well as any specific neighborhoods in Arlington which draw an older crowd (30s-40s).

Another question I have is how easy will it be to rent an apartment without pay stubs? I'm working for a non-US company right now, so I don't have W2 information, though I do have tax returns which state my income at my current company and I can get a salary letter or something similar from my new company.

I think I once managed to rent an apartment in a similar situation by showing a few months of bank statements with some multiple of the rent, but I'm not sure if that is a common practice or some lucky one-off. Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:47 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,678 times
With your budget, you have many options. I would recommend an apartment near the Metro red line stations. I would avoid the 14th Street/Logan Circle/U Street/Columbia Heights/No-Ma/Shaw areas if I were you. Only because the age demographic is mostly Millennial professionals, hipster musicians and trust fund kids. Speaking as a Generation Xer myself, I have a lower tolerance for vapid and pampered Millennials.

Neighborhoods are safer and quieter from Woodley Park all the way up to Chevy Chase. And they are still walkable with retail and restaurants within short distance of most apartment buildings along the Connecticut and Wisconsin Ave. corridors.

You may want to check out the Penn Quarter neighborhood in downtown but you would be really stretching your budget thin. Lots of 40-something professionals such as yourself have a pad in PQ.

You would like Bethesda too. Basically, stick to the WMATA red line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning Expat View Post
Hi, everyone - I'm a first-time poster but somewhat longtime lurker here. I apologize in advance for a "please tell me where to live" thread, but I'm not finding anything both recent and relevant in a number of search forums, so I've decided to officially join the forums.

I am an American, currently working in SE Asia, where I have been based for the better part of the last decade. I am planning to relocate to DC within the next few months and would like some advice regarding places where I might consider renting.

Some information about me:
- I am in my early 40s and single (no children, no pets), but would like to be in an area where it is easy to meet others my age, both socially and romantically
- I've previously lived in Chicago and NYC, so I think I have a decent safety threshold. However, I'd prefer spots that are not terribly far off the beaten path
- My working location will vary, so while I prefer to be close to a metro line, there is no specific commute that I am trying to manage at the moment. If parking is available, I might get a car, but I don't need a car
- I may be working from home a fair amount, so I would like to be in an area that is close to gyms, cafes, etc.

My budget is $2000-2500/ month for a 1BR, though I'd prefer closer to the lower side. If I can snag a 1BR+den or a small 2BR for that price, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm currently considering DC proper and Arlington, but can be open to other suburbs (Bethesda, Alexandria, etc.) if they come highly recommended.

If there is any other information that I can provide, please let me know. TIA for any helpful advice.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
Old Town Alexandria would be perfect for you. Yes in general the suburbs are mostly family-oriented and terrible for singles, but Old Town seems to be the one of the few bar/restaurant areas geared more toward middle-aged people than other groups. It also is a really beautiful, historic and walkable area, which is a combination difficult to find elsewhere in the suburbs.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Old Town Alexandria would be perfect for you. Yes in general the suburbs are mostly family-oriented and terrible for singles, but Old Town seems to be the one of the few bar/restaurant areas geared more toward middle-aged people than other groups. It also is a really beautiful, historic and walkable area, which is a combination difficult to find elsewhere in the suburbs.
I turned 41 a month ago and still can't bear the term, middle aged!

Thanks for the vote on Alexandria, though. I've been there before and it is lovely.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,855 times
I moved to the area roughly a month ago. I've been diligently looking around at the various neighborhoods within DC proper. Old Town was a top contender for me, until I found Glover Park. Very nice area, you should check it out. Also, based on my chats with leasing agents at the various apartment complexes, you'll totally be ok with tax returns and/or a salary letter.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,678 times
Beware of Old Town Alexandria if you care about politics. Old Town looks lovely with the brick streets and 150 year old townhomes but there is a high concentration of conservative Republicans who live on those blocks. The number of Republican candidate, NRA and Marine Corps bumper stickers on resident cars is a dead giveaway. If you are cool with that then no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning Expat View Post
I turned 41 a month ago and still can't bear the term, middle aged!

Thanks for the vote on Alexandria, though. I've been there before and it is lovely.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:46 PM

324 posts, read 467,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Beware of Old Town Alexandria if you care about politics. Old Town looks lovely with the brick streets and 150 year old townhomes but there is a high concentration of conservative Republicans who live on those blocks. The number of Republican candidate, NRA and Marine Corps bumper stickers on resident cars is a dead giveaway. If you are cool with that then no problems.
hahahaha. stay away from those republicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC