Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times

Advertisements

Coldbliss, no offense but you have little understanding of the actual unemployment data. Frankly, I do. You are not just wrong, but you are dead wrong on every thing you are saying. It's not backed up by facts, or understanding of the labor economy in either city. If you understood the situation, it is just the opposite, this person in on the fast track to homelessness in DC. The demand of work for his skill level is lower than than the supply in DC. If they moved to Omaha they could likely find a job quickly, as well as have a much more comfortable life. Here their best home is to live in poverty. DC is great for those who are high skilled professionals where the cost of living is no big deal, but for lower skilled workers this is not a city you should be living in.
Omaha has a 3% unemployment rate and around 30% of it's residents are college educated. They have full employment across the board, not just for high skill workers, but for everybody. It is not some failing and decaying post-industrial rust belt city, on the contrary it is the best urban economy in the country and that has long been the case. Some people put it plainly about Omaha, it is easy to get a job no matter who you are. They do not just need high skill workers, they need middle skill office workers like the poster above who have a high school education and some college. On top of that the housing costs are low in Omaha, $663 for a one bedroom, and $900 for a two. Also this worker would not be another fast food worker, they were pretty clear they were largely in office position, and they would be going down in DC, but in Omaha they would have an honest opportunity to move upward. In DC, they would hit a ceiling immediately, in fact they are already feeling the credential ceiling.

DC is great for high skilled workers with a bachelors or higher where there is plenty of opportunity and upward mobility, but is awful for anybody else. You need to come to terms with this. We have major issues with structural unemployment for lower skilled workers and the best advice for them is to move where the labor markets are better.

Let me state the data clearly to you.
DC uneployment rate 7.7%...but it is very polarized. Those with a bachelors or higher it is below 4%. Which again, is in the full employment range, especially for a city this size. But when you get into the unemployment rate for those without a bachelors, things get much worse. For those with some college like the poster above, the unemployment rate is close to 15%. It is even worse for those without the college experience, and not much better for those with an associates. DC is inherently economically polarized place. You either have a bachelors or graduate degree and are thriving, or you do not, and you are suffering from being in a city with one of the highest percentages of high skilled workers in the country and the higher cost of living that brings.

None of this has not changed much since the recession, which is an indication that this is deep structural unemployment, and when one is structurally unemployed like the above poster the best advice they can get is move. The result is the wages for those who have a bachelors or higher have gone up, but those without such a wage have had quickly declining wages. This is what structural unemployment does. DC is not chalk filled with low skill positions, we have high demand for those with a bachelors or higher, in fact the sign going into DC should read bachelors required, masters or higher preferred. Why? Over 44% of positions require a bachelors or higher. The fact is if you take jobs which typically hire those with a bachelors the number is even higher.
Education level and jobs: Opportunities by state : Career Outlook: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics In fact DC leads the country in terms of educational requirements for jobs. No other city is even remotely close.

But even when jobs do not state this as a explicit requirements, and equivalent experience is taken, many cannot get in the door because 52.5%+ of DC's population has a bachelors degree, and it's even higher in many of the suburbs. Arlington it's 75% for example. The poster is NOT competitive for this region, and it's hurting his prospects. Because the higher skilled work is out of his reach, and his option is a very low paid service position. In a place like Omaha he would be able to get an office job fairly easily, because not as much weight is put on the college credential as DC. They are desperate for labor period.

DC is an awful place if you lack the sheepskin. You may think it has high demand for lower skilled workers, however, the data speaks otherwise, the demand is low and it's resulting in both structural unemployment and declining wages. Considering these same people are competing for housing for higher skilled workers who are paid better it is driving up the housing costs. The city has deep structural unemployment for low skilled workers. So you either acquire the skills, or you move. For this poster considering their background moving should be a serious consideration. Moving to a city with a lower unemployment rate for all workers, not just high skill employees. Move away from the structural unemployment.

Next time you make assertions, it would be a good idea not to argue with somebody who has a comprehensive understanding of the data. This may work with the less educated set, but it doesn't work for those who live and breathe data analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I've been there too--many times, in fact. Just keep persevering. Sometimes it's a matter of playing the odds.

Have you thought about becoming a cop? No degree needed to be hired, and they will often help pay for you to finish yours. Starting pay is not bad; Arlington, for example, starts at 48K and pays 50K once training is done. You like dealing with people, have some college, write well (unlike the gibberish-spewer who perpetrated post no. 8 above), have no criminal record--if you're under 37 and physically fit, this might work for you.

Otherwise, how about a skilled trade? I've heard there's a dearth of welders, electricians, plumbers, etc.--and they make great money. I would call one out of the blue and ask if he could suggest a trade school or union apprenticeship.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-16-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post

Next time you make assertions, it would be a good idea not to argue with somebody who has a comprehensive understanding of the data. This may work with the less educated set, but it doesn't work for those who live and breathe data analysis.

Somebody is on fire tonight! Watch out now...

Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 PM

68 posts, read 122,456 times
Be a catering waiter. Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com look for Occasions Caterers or Protocol Staffing. $17/hr but you'll need a tuxedo.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduma View Post
Be a catering waiter. Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com look for Occasions Caterers or Protocol Staffing. $17/hr but you'll need a tuxedo.
I did this back in the late '90s. It's actually really easy work for being a waiter--no orders to remember, and no worrying about what your tip will be. Plus, you always get a free meal! Easy to find an old tux at a Goodwill or other thrift shop, etsy, Craiglist, etc.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Join the military

Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Let me be blunt and to the point. If you just graduated from HS and have minimal college experience DC is not the right city to live in. You are not likely to make more than $14 an hour without a specialized skill. This is not a kind city to be in if you lack a bachelors degree.

You could try to get some certifications, or you can get yourself in a skilled trade (HVAC, Plumbing). These are alternatives. Truth be told the skilled trade is the better idea than the certs, even with the certs you will find yourself on the losing end. The skilled trade...they limit people entering and you are a good candidate. The skilled trade may require classes while you work, but the pay is decent while that is happening.

Ultimately, I suggest moving to another city, maybe Omaha with it's 2.6% unemployment. They have massive labor shortages across the board and really need workers. They are more likely to look past you have not finished college, but want too. Not DC where there is an overysupply of low skilled labor and where most good paying jobs require a bachelors or higher. I am going to be blunt, you are in the low skill group right now, and there is just too many people in that group. So either get a bachelors, or go into the skilled trades.
That's not true. You can make it, if you can get with the right people.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
WMATA (Metro).
UPS
Fedex

Learn a trade perhaps?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss of sasha View Post
I got downsized from my last job and I’m in my 30’s. I work hard and use my brain as well. I am just having a real hard time finding work and a job with a livable wage too at least $14 an hr. My unemployment dried up last month. I am with a temp place for almost a month but they haven't found me any assignments yet. I have job counselors’ one sucked ass and the other is a real stand up person. It’s just hard I feel like I’m letting everybody down. I apply on line to jobs but with little follow up or real interest from the employers. I have been on about a handful of interviews in person &over the phone with little follow up or real interest from the employers. I have no priors with the law. I depend on public transportation to get around mainly. My education is I graduated from high school & and I have some college experience but no degree. I am so tired of job scams on line, in the paper, TV and job fairs too. I am running out of options here find a job or go back to school or both. I really want to find a job first because it would be easier to go to school. Honestly, everything so impersonal to get hired it’s all on line or if you do get a phone interview we’ll call you by next Tuesday if we want to hire you and next Tuesday comes and no phone call. I believe a lot of temp places you just walk in person you have apply on line and wait for them. I am face to face person but that seems to be a lost art. I just need some real feedback on what to do?
$14/hour is not a livable wage in DC unless you have roommates or family in DC and roommates wouldn't be enough to survive in this city. You'd be making $29,000/year at this level. The average median wage in DC is around $90,000/year.

DC is not the best place to be without a degree. I run into so many people with degrees from top 10 universities so even having just a Bachelor's degree isn't enough in this city. A lot of employers are looking for candidates from top schools.

My advice is move out of the area for a while even for just a year or so.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:32 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
If you're young enough do a 4 year hitch in the Air Force and choose a MOS that can transition back into the civilian sector.

When I got out of the Army I had to civilianese my resume cause employers with little to no exposure to the military have no idea what most of that stuff even means, of course the DC region is mostly fed jobs or defense contracting so you wouldn't have to civilianese as much.

The wife and I bring in over 100k and I don't have a degree, I did go to tech school and took advantage of everything the Army had to offer that was of course available to me at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: