Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
DC is not the best place to be without a degree. I run into so many people with degrees from top 10 universities so even having just a Bachelor's degree isn't enough in this city. A lot of employers are looking for candidates from top schools.
This hasn't been my experience. I have only a bachelor's from a so-so school and have had no problem getting jobs. I'm sure your school matters for some employers and some Federal agencies, but where I've worked, no one cares. The exception might be if your degree is from the same school as the hiring manager, but that could backfire as easily as it could benefit you. (E.g., you went to Tech but the hiring manager went to UVA, or vice versa.)

Long term, my take is that without a bachelor's, the only bankable options for a good living are a skilled trade, law enforcement, or the military, assuming you get to be an NCO or (better yet) a warrant officer. But the military is downsizing, and they're pretty picky these days. If I were this guy, I'd become a plumber, welder, electrician, Audi mechanic, etc. Or a cop.

Bummer the OP hasn't weighed in again if only to acknowledge all this advice. Hopefully he's busy interviewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:04 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If I were this guy, I'd become a plumber, welder, electrician, Audi mechanic, etc. Or a cop.

Bummer the OP hasn't weighed in again if only to acknowledge all this advice. Hopefully he's busy interviewing.
Man, in 04 I purchased a 2001 Audi A4 and that thing was a lemon. Thinking about going back.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,218 times
Well I want to thank all of you for your comments. Sorry I was away for so long also I got busy. Yes I am still looking. No the armed forces will not be an option for me. The funny thing is I see they will have job ads that are military related like you have to be in the reserves or a certain age just to apply like 34 is the cutoff. I was at a job fair in April it was 12 different companies and 75% of them were there to see Metro and I was one of them too. I know people who work there but it's not easy getting in there even if you know people too. I have applied to warehouse, animal hospitals, health related jobs which is what I mainly want to do. I have tried temp places, on-line applications is the bulk of my search. I have gone to job centers in the city. It's hard to find a livable wage job even with a decent resume. I was also looking for 3rd shift jobs but those are so rare now. I thought about seeing a professional job coach but I doubt it's wise to spend money on it. I'm just stuck but I'm not giving up it's just stressful that's all. I want to go to school but I feel I need a job first.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 AM

417 posts, read 594,514 times
Try the military while you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: