Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 32,826 times

Advertisements

I will be driving from Southeastern Kentucky to Springfield, VA next month (2/15,16) to attend two concerts at JAXX Nightclub (W.A.S.P.) and know very little about the area.

Last year I visited Washington DC, but didn't venture outside the city itself and was only there for two days. I would appreciate any advice residents of the area or better still, people who've been to concerts at JAXX could provide. Where are some good places to eat, shop for music, cool sites or local curiosities? I prefer to sample the local culture of a place, talk to cool people and avoid the stip mall/chain store/chain restaurant scene at all costs.

Is it feasible to visit Washington DC by day and make it back to Springfield for the concerts at night? I still have nightmarish anxiety attacks when I recall the traffic around DC (worse than Los Angeles,) so any help getting around will be HIGHLY appreciated!

I'm really looking forward to these two shows as W.A.S.P. rarely tours the USA and they're one of my all-time favorite bands. Last time, it was all the way out in Hollywood, CA! Also looking forward to seeing and experiencing your city.

Thanks, I'll check back in a week or so for any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
Springfield isn't that far out of DC. You can definitely see some of DC during the day and make it back to Springfield in time for your concert. Is the show on a weekend?

The one thing you'll really have to watch is trying to drive out to Springfield in rush-hour traffic on a week day.

Probably the best thing to do is to find the closest Metro-stop to where your concert is, park your car there, and take the train into the city. The trains move slow, and you can wait 20 minutes for one to show up sometimes, but it never *stops* like traffic can. Just allow yourself a good amount of travel time (I would think an hour each way would be more than plenty, and that's getting into the station, waiting for the train, actual travel time, etc). Just be sure to factor in drive time between the metro stop and your concert venue. Maybe someone else can give you better specifics -- I think they've opened some new stops further out in the suburbs since I last lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC