Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 35,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinders View Post
Hi all -

I'm considering an offer that would bring me from Philadelphia to Tysons Corner, Va. My husband and I were down in DC this weekend, and while we love the area, we're a little terrified of the housing costs. Right now we live in a location near Philly's Center City, in an 1,800 sq ft rowhouse. Mortgage is about 2K. We can walk to bars, restaurants, etc. We're not suburban people, and do not plan to have kids (I'm 38, he's 46).

The job is truly a great one, with a salary bump to 125K (husband is at 100K, would probably get more if he found a job down there. also, my current job sucks and there are few opportunities in my field here in Philly). But it's smack dab in Tysons. I think we would hate living there. But would the commute from DC drive us nuts? He drives 45 minutes now, but it's not bumper-to-bumper. I only drive 15 minutes; obviously, I know I won't get that. I'm definitely amenable to taking the Metro out on the Orange line, as I can probably store the car at work.

Soo....do we try to find a condo in DC (Capital Hill, Logan, U Street?) and deal with the reverse commute? Are there any Virginia suburbs that are cute and interesting, ie, town-like, that we haven't considered? Where do the DINKs live anyway?

Zinders
I lived in DC downtown 80-92, then moved 4 miles across the potomac to a new condo in arlington, The Altavista located on Wilson Blvd, and it is poised right over the mouth of the ballston subway, you can see down the moving escalator when you site on your 10th floor balcony. Look into that area. I sold my condo in 97, but he area has burgeoned loads of sidewalk cafes. It also has a glass tunnel connecting straight through the national science foundation HQ into the Ballston Mall. A not overly large mall, but in the dead of winter you can walk through the heated glass tube over to that mall with no coat, got to several restaurants and 3 tories of shops. Moreover, the street in front of the Altavista condo is a straight shot 2oo yard entrance into RT 66 to take you into DC or out towards Dulles.

I moved in 97 to Reston VA, which is a planned community of 60,000 built by Gulf oil, but now independant. It has a town center. It has condos, stand alone houses, townhouses. 30 swimming pools and three with large heated jacuzzies, and excellent highway access into DC on the Dulles toll rd rt 266. About 9 miles east to Tysons. And it is a 7 minute ride to Dulles airport if you travel often. I usually get a taxi to dulles for 15.00 rather than park at Dulles. Look into Reston also. Happy to talk with you about these items on the phone if you want this weekend, Tom Lawford Reston VA 703-476-5155
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 PM

82 posts, read 567,549 times
if your use to walking I would only consider Arlington, VA and just about any neighbor hood in NW DC and maybe Capitol Hill. I say maybe because typically people who live in NW are not crazy about Capitol Hill and vice versa..I have always lived in NW. Don't get me wrong Capitol Hill is nice but I've always felt it was a little quiet and NW has way more to offer (restaurants, bars, shopping, urban vive, etc). Tysons Corner is not the least bit pedestrian friendly. Nice place to work, but not very walkable.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,700 times
Wow, if you don't want kids, the world is your oyster.

Couldn't they find a nice rowhouse in the city on their budget? Mt Pleasant is affordable and close enough to Adams Morgan for night life, but far enough away that you don't get so many drunk club kids puking on your door step, don't you think?

Driving to Tysons is going to be icky no matter what. I think for a real walkable urban vibe, some people would probably prefer DC proper to Arlington. Arlington is great, but I think the Ballston corridor can feel a bit plastic, something like living in a shopping mall. Living in a shopping mall can be incredibly convenient, and it is very close to Tysons, and Arlington schools in general just can't be beat. But it has a different feel from the city.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 AM

540 posts, read 962,709 times
If you are serious about taking the Metro (which, after checking the rail/bus route Metro - Homepage, isn't all that bad), Logan Circle might be great for you. You are looking at rowhouses starting at $800k to $1 mil, but you can also find nice two bedroom condos in the $450-500k range. The restaurants and bars in the neighborhood are great, and more are moving in. A great wine bar just opened up and a little specialty hot chocolate shop just opened across the street. My wife and I have been in the neighborhood for about 2 1/2 years and love it. I take the orange line out to Rosslyn everyday. We're at 13th and N - McPherson Square is about an 8 minute walk for me.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
If you live near Center City and want the same lifestyle, definitely go for DC. You can get the same brownstone/brick townhouses or condos. I love the Logan Circle area, it reminds me a little of home (I grew up in Philly). Penn Quarter's nice too, although it'll be farther from Tyson's. Generally, I'd try out the area around Foggy Bottom, Logan Circle, and up to around Dupont. I like U Street, but I'm also 22 and it seems to be a lot of crowds around my age.

As far as suburbs, I don't know Arlington very well, but I'd guess that Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn would be the best (most urban). Old Town Alexandria reminds me of a bigger, more active Chestnut Hill (if you're familiar with NW Philly), but it's far from Tyson's.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Yeah, forget Old Town. That's an hour+ commute to Tysons (my husband is doing that commute right now. And he's glad it's temporary!)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,249 times
If you don't have to take the job then don't do it and stay in Phila. I know a few people who quite their jobs in Tysons because it is Tysons with all the commuting nightmares.
Just my two cents.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM

Oh come on, just because she can't live in Old Town doesn't mean there aren't perfectly fine places to live with a decent commute to Tysons. Arlington. Bethesda. Fairfax. Falls Church. Reston. NW DC. It's not hopeless by any means.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinders View Post
We're not suburban people
Then you won't like Reston, it's a minivan-chain restaurant paradise.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270homes View Post
while being a few lights away from Tysons Corner.
except it's at least 30 minutes in rush hour to get through those "few" lights

the OP will not want to live anywhere west of Stacy's Coffee if she's not into the suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC