Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Nobody asked you to compare the two blacks who gentrify out of the 98 whites who gentrify. So what? Miss me with the nonsense yo.
Do you have any statistics on the percentage of gentrifiers in DC that are white compared to other races (asian, black, middle eastern, Indian, Hispanic, etc.)?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Nobody asked you to compare the two blacks who gentrify out of the 98 whites who gentrify. So what? Miss me with the nonsense yo.
What law would you propose to keep blacks from selling their houses to whites?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
No law. People can buy from and sell to whoever they want. What kind of ignorant question is that? Lots of blacks would be better off somewhere else anyway. Let all the rich caucasians continue to converge on DC until they're all there like a bunch of ducks, if that's what they want. Who cares?

Blacks' been there, done that. It's just a matter of time before others follow right behind. It's just human nature anyway.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
No law. People can buy from and sell to whoever they want. What kind of ignorant question is that? Lots of blacks would be better off somewhere else anyway. Let all the rich caucasians continue to converge on DC until they're all there like a bunch of ducks, if that's what they want. Who cares?

Blacks' been there, done that. It's just a matter of time before others follow right behind. It's just human nature anyway.
First you want to stop blacks from selling their houses. Now you seem OK with it. I think you need to make up your mind.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
What law would you propose to keep blacks from selling their houses to whites?
That is illegal, it is caused housing discrimination no matter what the race of the person doing it. In fact steering by real estate agents is also illegal. Many real estate agents got sued and lost thier license for steering white couples into white neighborhoods in DC. Likewise black couples into black neighborhoods.

Additionally, many times the person recieving the offer does not know the race of the person offering until closing, this again, is intentional in order to prevent housing discrimination.

Again if you are wondering why so many whites are buying in black neighborhoods it is because the market is operating as it should. Meaning if you have money you are free to purchase on the market without discrimination.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
First you want to stop blacks from selling their houses. Now you seem OK with it. I think you need to make up your mind.
It's not like that. You must be assuming that from what I have written before, but I can't tell black homeowners in DC what to do with their own property, especially if they can't afford it anymore. What would you expect them to do, go bankrupt?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
It's not like that. You must be assuming that from what I have written before, but I can't tell black homeowners in DC what to do with their own property, especially if they can't afford it anymore. What would you expect them to do, go bankrupt?
Homeowners, unless they take equity out of their properties, will rarely have an issue with bankruptcy. You seem angry but unable to find whom to blame.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Homeowners, unless they take equity out of their properties, will rarely have an issue with bankruptcy. You seem angry but unable to find whom to blame.
I'm not angry. I'm just stating what I feel. Now you, on the other hand, are trying too hard to embarrass me but that's on you, homey. I don't see any gain in that.

If you can't pay your taxes, you can lose your house and you know it, so don't try to lecture me.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
That is illegal, it is caused housing discrimination no matter what the race of the person doing it. In fact steering by real estate agents is also illegal. Many real estate agents got sued and lost thier license for steering white couples into white neighborhoods in DC. Likewise black couples into black neighborhoods.

Additionally, many times the person recieving the offer does not know the race of the person offering until closing, this again, is intentional in order to prevent housing discrimination.

Again if you are wondering why so many whites are buying in black neighborhoods it is because the market is operating as it should. Meaning if you have money you are free to purchase on the market without discrimination.
Duh

Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
If Takoma Park gentrifies to the point that we only have wealthier and whiter people moving into the neighborhood than TK PK lost its entire, unique culture. Since you live in that neighborhood, you already know the kinds of people who live there.

But from a political perspective, TK PK was unusual because it was an activist community. The liberal/conservative clowns would jokingly label the community as the "Peoples Republic of Takoma Park" and they were actually more correct about that than they realized. We are not just talking about aging hippies but real hard-core leftist, Marxist activists who have done jail time and earned a place on the local police and FBI surveillance watch lists. This is a community where the Green Party outpolls Democrats in some elections.

The people who own houses in Takoma Park make solid incomes but they cannot compete with the hot-shot Millennial Generation lawyers, IT directors, finance industry professionals and other six-figure income professions. There are plenty of TK PK residents who are house rich but cash poor; living off disability/social security/meager retirement income but they cannot afford to move any place else. TK PK has a large population of non-profit organization employees who make no where near $100,000 in annual income but they sit on property that is valued at $400,000 and up. House rich with some cash in the bank account.

Getting back to the political angle. Many Millennial professionals are either apolitical or they are milquetoast Democrats. Lord knows I feel this political apathy when I spent enough time overhearing conversations in the restaurants and on sidewalks in the Logan Circle neighborhood. If they invade and colonize TK PK in larger numbers then the radical politics that made TK PK so unique will be vanquished forever. Gone are the radical lesbian feminists who actually gave a sh#t about the marginalized people in society and enter the white heterosexual couple with voluminous corporate-world Linkedin profiles. YAY gentrification!

I recently saw a white, heterosexual couple with Hillary Clinton T-shirts walking down Carroll Street. Yep, there goes the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
To those who say it will not hit. The week after this passed a tiny little douplex in my area that had been languishing on the market because the price was too high sold. The price was no longer to high post downzoning. Again, this is going to push up the prices of what are typically starter houses, because it is going to push people who may have been content with subdivided row house condos further out into dc neighborhoods. It is also going to push developers to buy these smaller properties in R1 to R3 to refurbish. They have been up to this point ignoring them, and as such remained the few units below $450k on the market.
This is going to change the dynamic, and is likely going to push the base price for a home to around $600k west of the river. So this not effecting things is not accurate.

Again, I have no issue with gentrification, but on the same token, I understand that it's best when it is a gradual process rather than a rapid one. The neighborhoods which were popping up were closer to the core, and they essentially created a process where any changes were more gradual elsewhere. The neighborhoods around Ft. Totten, Riggs Park, Manor Park, Brightwood, Brightwood Park, and the smaller homes in Takoma are all now likely to face a more competitive home buying market. The poor have been priced out of the market for years, but the middle class could still get into these neighborhoods, albeit in smaller homes. Because in many cases if people are completely priced out of one neighborhood, they go to some place where that is not the case. Many people who are intent on living in the city, will not even consider moving into the suburbs, especially if they do not want kids. So the early-mid career couple who could no longer buy in Columbia Heights or Petworth, is now looking in Brightwood.

This is really how gentrification works, and how downzoning ultimately provides fuel for it moving much faster. Those new buildings and retail chains actually usually lag gentrification. The leaders are just individuals buying homes, and independent restaurants, bars, and coffee shops following.

Again, as a current home owner, this doesn't really hurt me. All that downzoning does is put fuel on the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC