Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
One thing I have to disagree with DistrictSonic on....DC is a Class A Worthless Town for live music. Do not come to DC expecting to have fun-filled weekends with a whole host of jamtastic live bands at a local bar/hole in the wall to choose from. There are music venues that bring in bigger name acts, but the college band trying to make it big? For get about it! Randomly here and there...yes....established music bars.......hardly!

I will admit that having lived in Nashville for 6 years did spoil me.....but I also lived in Cincinnati for several years and I thought Cinci was terrible....until I came to DC! DC makes Cincinnati look like Music Mecca! LOL
It depends on what you like, really. Nashville has a bit of everything, DC is really only good for a few things, particularly Jazz and classical.

But if your tastes do not match DC has to offer, it will seem awful. The classical folks will be happy, but anybody into country or blues is likely to be disappointed. Neither is there an abundance of bar bands playing covers, which I largely see as a good thing. Most acts around here, are primarily playing original work. There is not a great number of bands trying to make it either. Rock is a bit more of a mixed bag, there are plenty of rock and punk shows, but nowhere near the meccas.

Again, it depends on what you like, I have never had an issue, but my taste skews a bit more high brow.

The reality is Boston and DC are pretty comparible in this regard though in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Live music scene would be about #12 on my list of important features of a place to live. To each his own. Everyone has to live somewhere.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Live music scene would be about #12 on my list of important features of a place to live. To each his own. Everyone has to live somewhere.
It is more important to some then others, and even then it depends on what type of music.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
I guess it depends on which city you think you can work in longer. If not, choose whichever and see.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I believe you are mistaken. There is no where in District Sonic's post where it mentions live music specifically. Music venues in general is what was meant. There are certainly great music venues and dance clubs/lounges which don't all deal with live bands.

But to the OP, you have your answer. The last thing you want to do is go back and forth in your mind and play the perk vs recreation game. Remember, it always comes down to where a person is at in their life and you obviously are better suited for Philly as others have pointed out- at this stage of your life. It may certainly change in a few years and you will have an easier time doing lateral moves by already being in the system.

Take it from me, if the listed activities are not your cup of tea, you shouldnt come here trying to make $1 out of $.15- ESPECIALLY with warning. Meaning, as you now are properly advised, you shouldn't come here thinking you are going to change things or hopefully adapt to the DC area. Perhaps it may work but why take a chance when your odds are more favorable in Philly and you already know what you are and aren't into.
Ok, fair enough. But lets face it. What medium/big city doesn't offer music venues for touring acts, etc? Isn't that pretty much stating the obvious that there are some music venues in a city? Do you think the vast majority of millenials are looking for a jazz bar? LOL When most people inquire about music and bars in the same inquiry, they're usually implying a good band to listen to while enjoying a beer with friends on a Saturday night. Do you disagree?? Afterall, this is what he actually inquired:

Quote:
"...going to see a diverse array of bands in cool venues."
He could mean jazz. But I have a hunch that that's not what he's referring to!

Old 06-15-2015, 04:07 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ok, fair enough. But lets face it. What medium/big city doesn't offer music venues for touring acts, etc? Isn't that pretty much stating the obvious that there are some music venues in a city? Do you think the vast majority of millenials are looking for a jazz bar? LOL When most people inquire about music and bars in the same inquiry, they're usually implying a good band to listen to while enjoying a beer with friends on a Saturday night. Do you disagree?? Afterall, this is what he actually inquired:

He could mean jazz. But I have a hunch that that's not what he's referring to!
Hahaha, I am totally laughing out loud here. There is no way I can argue your point- what you said makes sense of you really think about it.. Seriously, no sarcasm. I stand corrected.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 PM

9 posts, read 12,143 times
Thank you for the good discussion everyone. I ended up choosing DC just basically because all the other alums told me to choose it, though I did try to leave myself open for a rotation in the Philly field office over the phone. If anyone would like to keep this discussion going now that I"m committed, I would appreciate that. I would like to know more about the nightlife that is not clubs or upscale types of places. The neighborhood bar idea someone suggested is good and one I already planned on heeding. I've read a lot about H-street and it sounds really great, though I will need a roommate and that is kind of weird at 30. Places in Brookland seem cheap and at least close geographically w/ a metro. Any opinions on that? I don't necessarily have to be in the heart of the city, I just need to be able to get there fairly easily. Also, I'm working at Constitution Ave. NW and would prefer a short commute by metro or the ability to ride my bike there.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Constitution Ave NW goes on for several miles. Good areas for commuting there depends on where on Constitution Ave.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,143 times
200 Constitution Avenue at the west end of the mall, specifically.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
People forget that DC has "boroughs" (for lack of a better term) which are places like NOVA and the suburbs in Maryland. While those places are not officially DC, they act similar to the boroughs in New York as well as parts of New Jersey where the culture and economy of the city bleeds over.

Basically.. the DC area has something for everyone.. even if the city itself doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: