Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,646,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
There is a Colonial garage at 396 6th St SW that is close to the National Mall and US Capital building. Should be sufficient to see most of the major landmarks right?
Check the opening hours of any garage you're considering, they can vary a lot, 7pm or midnight closing, or completely closed at the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,709,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Check the opening hours of any garage you're considering, they can vary a lot, 7pm or midnight closing, or completely closed at the weekend.
Yeah they have hours stated on website. We will only be there Thursday and Friday and looks like most open until midnight so we should be good.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,514,481 times
As mentioned, the Mall is a few miles long, and any one spot along it will be a long walk from anywhere else. However, this new city bus route just started service along the Mall:
http://nationalmall.dccirculator.com/

I highly recommend leaving anything non-essential in your hotel room or car. Some of the Smithsonian museums have lockers, but all are at least a few blocks from the White House or Capitol.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the website

Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,945,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
As mentioned, the Mall is a few miles long, and any one spot along it will be a long walk from anywhere else. However, this new city bus route just started service along the Mall:
http://nationalmall.dccirculator.com/

I highly recommend leaving anything non-essential in your hotel room or car. Some of the Smithsonian museums have lockers, but all are at least a few blocks from the White House or Capitol.
Do the museums and monuments frown on people carrying small backpacks inside? My wife and I are very athletic, and we were thinking about walking to most of the sites from the Hyatt Regency hotel with a backpack containing water, snacks, and our cameras.

Also, a friend told me that a lot of the museums are free. Is that accurate?

Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Do the museums and monuments frown on people carrying small backpacks inside? My wife and I are very athletic, and we were thinking about walking to most of the sites from the Hyatt Regency hotel with a backpack containing water, snacks, and our cameras.

Also, a friend told me that a lot of the museums are free. Is that accurate?
From what I read many on the National Mall are free (Smithsonian, Air and Space Museum, etc). But with that in mind since it is free the lines to get in are long especially with the security measures

Old 07-06-2015, 02:59 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,514,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Do the museums and monuments frown on people carrying small backpacks inside?
No, but your life will be much easier if you're not carrying anything. There's airport-style security at most federal sites, where you'll walk through a metal detector and someone will poke through your bag. At some, like the National Gallery of Art, almost all bags need to be checked. The lines are much shorter if you don't have a bag.

There are plenty of water fountains and snack shops around, and I guess you could stuff a granola bar into your pocket if you really feel the need for one. Otherwise, just bring your wallet, keys, and phone, and be ready to fish the latter two out before walking through the metal detector. Pack like you're going for a run, just with museums along the way.

Most of the larger museums here are free, since they're operated by the federal government. (Not all federal sites are free, though; the Washington Monument and Great Falls have admissions fees.) Many museums run as private non-profits do charge admission fees. Any good guidebook will tell you the difference, and with few exceptions most of the fees are under $10; Spy Museum, Newseum, and Mount Vernon come to mind as a bit pricier.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,952,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
We'll be driving from NC and looking to tour US Capital and White House (tours have been requested already) alone with other monuments.

I have heard that parking is a major issue downtown. Meaning basically none.

Our idea was to rent hotel in the suburbs (VA or MD) and use public transportation.

How feasible is this? Looking at Best Western in Arlington, VA.

Will be traveling with 3 year old kid with stroller.

Wanting to spend as least as possible in terms of parking. But convenience is also a factor

Also are there public lockers in and around the White House area. We are touring but need place to store all our things not allowed on tour.

Thanks
You can park in a garage easily, but do not park on the street. Deciphering DC parking signs is not tourist friendly. I highly suggest doing garage parking, because it is better to not find your car towed at the end of the day. It is better to be safe than sorry.

But, my number one advice is to take the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: