Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 19,685 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am trying to move closer to my job near the Grosvenor metro station in Maryland. I looked longingly around the station itself, dreaming of being able to walk to work, but there aren't really too many options, so I'm expanding my search, especially toward/in DC.

Here are some specs:
Budget: $1300/mo if magically within the Grosvenor neighbhorhood ($1400 if utilities are included); $1200/mo if metro is required ($1300 if utilities are included).
Metro: Necessary. I don't have a car.
Safety: Relatively safe. I'm fine with "city safe" or "suburban safe."
Access to culture/nightlife: I would prefer if there was at least a grocery store nearby, but I'm not the type to go out every night, so I would prioritize my budget over this.
Alone/Housemates: I am burnt out on housemates and therefore looking to live alone. However, if it was a spacious private room/bathroom with one housemate for under $1000, I would be open.
Size: Studio or 1bd (hey, doesn't hurt to throw it out there).

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any neighborhood suggestions based on those criteria? On the DC side, I've seen some things popping up for Tenleytown and Van Ness.
2. Does anyone have any thoughts on high-rise apartments in the area? I have always rented in houses/apartment communities, so I am new to high-rises and a little overwhelmed by the low ratings and people complaining about mismanagement. Are they no-win situations all around, or is it a case of angry Yelp-ers venting?

I've been searching, but would really appreciate any thoughts from people who are familiar with this area of DC/Maryland since it has been a bit overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
I think your budget is too low for even a studio in one of the big apartment buildings in Tenleytown or Van Ness or really anywhere in DC that would be a short commute on the Red line to Grosvenor. You might be able to rent out a room in the basement of somebody's house. It's pretty common for homeowners in DC to convert their basements to apartments that have their own kitchen, bathroom and private entrance, sometimes even washer and dryer. So it's not like you'd be a guest in somebody's house. These are advertised on Craigslist frequently, and will tend to be cheaper than a managed apartment building.

But if you don't find much on Craigslist after spending some time searching... you may need to either reconsider not having roommates or increase your budget to about $1,400 or so.

But assuming you can find something within your budget, yes, I think Tenleytown and Van Ness (Friendship Heights I will add as well) are going to be the best places in DC to live to have a short Red line commute to Grosvenor but also have a relatively urban area where there are grocery stores and other shopping within walking distance so it's easy to live without a car.

I think you are right to look at places in DC over Maryland because in general it is much easier to live in DC without a car. Most of the Maryland burbs are typical suburbs where you are trapped without a car. One exception to that is downtown Bethesda, which would be an even quicker Metro ride to Grosvenor than Tenleytown or Van Ness, and is just as urban, if not more so. However, I don't think Bethesda is much cheaper.

As for the apartment reviews online... think about it. People don't tend to bother posting reviews when they like their apartment is fine and things are uneventful. It's usually when they get mad about some problem that motivates them to post a review. So of course all apartment reviews are skewed to the negative. I just disregard them entirely.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I think your budget is too low for even a studio in one of the big apartment buildings in Tenleytown or Van Ness or really anywhere in DC that would be a short commute on the Red line to Grosvenor. You might be able to rent out a room in the basement of somebody's house. It's pretty common for homeowners in DC to convert their basements to apartments that have their own kitchen, bathroom and private entrance, sometimes even washer and dryer. So it's not like you'd be a guest in somebody's house. These are advertised on Craigslist frequently, and will tend to be cheaper than a managed apartment building.

But if you don't find much on Craigslist after spending some time searching... you may need to either reconsider not having roommates or increase your budget to about $1,400 or so.

But assuming you can find something within your budget, yes, I think Tenleytown and Van Ness (Friendship Heights I will add as well) are going to be the best places in DC to live to have a short Red line commute to Grosvenor but also have a relatively urban area where there are grocery stores and other shopping within walking distance so it's easy to live without a car.

I think you are right to look at places in DC over Maryland because in general it is much easier to live in DC without a car. Most of the Maryland burbs are typical suburbs where you are trapped without a car. One exception to that is downtown Bethesda, which would be an even quicker Metro ride to Grosvenor than Tenleytown or Van Ness, and is just as urban, if not more so. However, I don't think Bethesda is much cheaper.

As for the apartment reviews online... think about it. People don't tend to bother posting reviews when they like their apartment is fine and things are uneventful. It's usually when they get mad about some problem that motivates them to post a review. So of course all apartment reviews are skewed to the negative. I just disregard them entirely.
Thanks Stateofnature! I really wasn't sure how my budget would fare in those areas. I saw a few studios pop up on apartments.com around $1000-$1200, but I suppose people say that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is...

I will take a look at Tenleytown, Van Ness, Friendship Heights, and will poke around Bethesda, although I'm not too worried about the possibility of living in the Maryland burbs without a car, as long as there is a metro station within walking distance. I've lived in worse places without a car! But yes, having a walkable neighborhood is nice, and might be worth an increased budget or housemates.

Also, I probably should have specified-- I'm not as worried about superficial things like mean/unresponsive management at high-rises, but rather practical things like large raises in rent, security deposits never being returned, paying for utilities outside of your unit... It's hearing about those things that worry me more.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,293,432 times
I'd definitely recommend Tenleytown just because of the stretch of Wisconsin Avenue from there to Friendship Heights. It's walkable and has plenty of amenities at your disposal.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,874 times
i think your best bet in that budget is an older building in grosvenor. Still might be too low though.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 144,452 times
As has been said before, your budget is somewhat low without roommates. You might be able to share an apartment with a private room/bathroom in Grosvenor for around $1200.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
This is going to be very tight. I would suggest looking in the rockville area, or gaithersburg.
This is one of those cases where your expectations and budget likely do not meet reality.
These neighborhoods are great suggestion, as is Bethesda, if you had the budget. But western Montgomery County and West of the Park in DC are expensive. Hell even east of the Park in DC and Silver Spring can be expensive if it's close to a rail station and has a nice walkable neighborhood (Brookland, Takoma).

My advice for your budget is to find a roommate. You may be burnt out, but you are budget constrained.

Also if you must live alone, and are okay with a longer commute, you would be able to find something in Wheaton or Ft. Totten (DC).

I am going to be direct, your choices are rather limited, and in some cases non-existant.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I'd definitely recommend Tenleytown just because of the stretch of Wisconsin Avenue from there to Friendship Heights. It's walkable and has plenty of amenities at your disposal.
Thanks for the vouch! I'll poke around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
i think your best bet in that budget is an older building in grosvenor. Still might be too low though.
Thanks! I'm not finding too much up for rent in Grosvenor, period, but I have seen some things pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
As has been said before, your budget is somewhat low without roommates. You might be able to share an apartment with a private room/bathroom in Grosvenor for around $1200.
I've seen 1brs around $1400 and studios around $1200-$1300, as well as a 1br in a high rise for $1330, so if it comes down to maxing out my budget or saving $100-$200 month, I'd rather live alone... But if it comes down to $300, $400, $500 and I needed to move more urgently, yes, I'd look for a housemate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
This is going to be very tight. I would suggest looking in the rockville area, or gaithersburg.
This is one of those cases where your expectations and budget likely do not meet reality.
These neighborhoods are great suggestion, as is Bethesda, if you had the budget. But western Montgomery County and West of the Park in DC are expensive. Hell even east of the Park in DC and Silver Spring can be expensive if it's close to a rail station and has a nice walkable neighborhood (Brookland, Takoma).

My advice for your budget is to find a roommate. You may be burnt out, but you are budget constrained.

Also if you must live alone, and are okay with a longer commute, you would be able to find something in Wheaton or Ft. Totten (DC).

I am going to be direct, your choices are rather limited, and in some cases non-existant.
I know things are limited on my budget, but I wouldn't necessarily call them non-existent, especially since I'm not set on one particular neighborhood, have some flexibility, able hunt a bit, and I'm willing to live somewhere that's not particularly vibrant or exciting. My budget is partially based on my pay, but partially based on a couple of things I've been seeing in the Grosvenor neighborhood. I really just wanted more feedback on the neighborhoods themselves rather than feedback on my budget itself, which is flexible depending on what I find. I just threw it an ideal set of numbers out there so someone wouldn't say, "What's your budget? Dupont would be a GREAT area for you." But yes, the fact that the west side of the red line in DC and Montgomery County seems to be so expensive has made me weeplaugh many-a-time.

Thank you, though! I am having pretty good luck finding a few things in Rockville.

At this point, my main search is pretty much narrowed down to Grosvenor, Rockville, and Friendship Heights, with only some feelers out for the right living situations in Tenleytown, Van Ness, or some of the in-between stops in Maryland. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Just get a roommate. When you start making more money.. live alone.

I can afford to live alone, but I still choose roommates for the following reasons:

1. DC is vibrant with lots to do so I am almost never home anyway and neither are my roommates. Home is just a place to sleep. I don't even eat any meals at home accept breakfast on weekends.

2. I like having money to do things.. thus leading to being home less. I can travel, eat out every day and still save loads of money.

Roommates are the way to go unless you're a home body. No point in living alone if you will rarely be home.

My 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Your budget is tight but it's doable. Other posters are being too pessimistic. You won't get a 1BR but you can definitely get a studio in your price range. It might have to be an English basement or garden style apartment complex but it's doable.

Have you looked on Craigslist? Seriously, there isn't a better website online for finding rentals than Craigslist. Everyone posts on there. Believe me, I've just gone through my second very exhaustive search in less than a year for an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC