Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will be more desirable in 5 years: NoMa vs Cap Riverfront
Noma 9 31.03%
Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard. 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,335 times

Advertisements

I would say NoMa for now, but Navy Yard may surpass it after it's 100% completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
I'd have to vote for contiguity. New development is happening around Union Market, up New York Avenue, and in Northwest One. The result, eventually, will bridge from Shaw over to H Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
What was Navy Yard like before Nats Park was there?
Try JD's Favorites Expanded Project Archives - JDLand.com
A lot of it looked sort of like what Buzzard Point or areas along NY Ave look like now, with warehouses and random nightclubs. There was also lots of public housing.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I'd have to vote for contiguity. New development is happening around Union Market, up New York Avenue, and in Northwest One. The result, eventually, will bridge from Shaw over to H Street.

Try JD's Favorites Expanded Project Archives - JDLand.com
A lot of it looked sort of like what Buzzard Point or areas along NY Ave look like now, with warehouses and random nightclubs. There was also lots of public housing.
Wow those pictures are breathtaking. It really just looks like the 1st Street/2nd Street SW area. I knew there used to be a lot of public housing. I had no idea that S Capitol was an elevated highway though.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
It's been a couple years since I first posted this thread. Navy Yard has really pulled out into the lead with much more development.

NoMa seems kinda stuck in place. The main portion of NoMa still feels like an awkward collection of 9-5 offices, parking lots and a few big apartment buildings. No eating or drinking scene to speak off. It seems the pace of new construction has slowed, several big buildings are delivering/verge of delivering, but nothing additional has broken ground recently. Storey Park, the Mews/theater project both appear dead or delayed. NW One, and the other big redevelopment are perpetually "just about to break ground in the next year or two." Union Market is spinning off some restaurants, but I wouldn't say it feels like a neighborhood yet.

Navy Yard, by contrast, is really be coming into its own. Tons of projects have opened in the past 2 years and it seems like new stuff is breaking ground every quarter. Every time I'm there I'm amazed at the pace of change. It's still not as urban as midcity NW, but it is fast developing an active city feel.

IMO Navy Yard is clearly in the lead at this point. I'm becoming more skeptical about NoMa's prospects for fulfilling its promise anytime in the next 5 years.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:47 AM

409 posts, read 333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It's been a couple years since I first posted this thread. Navy Yard has really pulled out into the lead with much more development.

NoMa seems kinda stuck in place. The main portion of NoMa still feels like an awkward collection of 9-5 offices, parking lots and a few big apartment buildings. No eating or drinking scene to speak off. It seems the pace of new construction has slowed, several big buildings are delivering/verge of delivering, but nothing additional has broken ground recently. Storey Park, the Mews/theater project both appear dead or delayed. NW One, and the other big redevelopment are perpetually "just about to break ground in the next year or two." Union Market is spinning off some restaurants, but I wouldn't say it feels like a neighborhood yet.

Navy Yard, by contrast, is really be coming into its own. Tons of projects have opened in the past 2 years and it seems like new stuff is breaking ground every quarter. Every time I'm there I'm amazed at the pace of change. It's still not as urban as midcity NW, but it is fast developing an active city feel.

IMO Navy Yard is clearly in the lead at this point. I'm becoming more skeptical about NoMa's prospects for fulfilling its promise anytime in the next 5 years.
Yeah, I agree everything you posted about NoMa. I'm not really impressed so far either. I think NoMa is still holding out for the Burnham Place development and the Union Station redevelopment which I don't think will break ground until 2021 at least. So I think for now, that development needs a major office tenant to kick things off for the area.

In the long term (20-25 years), I feel like NoMa is going to be the better neighborhood. It's got the 2nd busiest transit station in the country and it's closer to midtown, mt.Vernon triangle and Penn Quarter.

Last edited by MDfinest; 10-21-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 PM

209 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:

I agree, I think NY is the far better neighborhood and the pace of development down there is like nothing I've ever seen before. I think why NY has been more successful compared to NoMa is that that connection to the water is unbeatable. There's a reason to go to the navy yard as opposed to NoMa which hasn't fulfilled its promise. Something like Amazon Hq2 could help it though...

Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Neither appeal to me. I left Navy Yard after 4 years when it started becoming a destination neighborhood. Always crowds of people from out of the area on nice days and the baseball fans just annoyed me. I've never understood NOMA. It seems like it was a popular spot for a while but I never hear anyone mention it anymore. I don't view it as a destination neighborhood as I understand it is mostly just residential mid-rise and high-rise apartments. I also feel the same way about the Wharf. I don't find the area attractive at all but people love to hang out there. Wherever there is water, people will flock.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:

I was surprised by the comments because I thought Navy Yard hands down wins and I didn’t like NoMa when I first visited. That was the area I planned on moving to after researching where to live but came to visit and I didn’t really like it. I fell in love with Southwest & Navy Yard though. I could see how in 2015, NoMa would seem like a safer bet.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 433 times
NoMa is better now.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loter View Post
NoMa is better now.
I will say I like Union Market (part of NoMa) better than Navy Yard. Navy Yard was cool many years ago but has been overbuilt and the dining/bar options aren't that great. If you like crowds, this area is busy as hell during baseball season and the warmer months. The places I used to frequent back in the day like Agua 301 feel dead and soulless now. There are just too many options in my opinion. Union Market has some great restaurants and I like the rustic vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC