Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What about single tracking on weekends. I have all but avoided metro on weekends. It's just must faster to drive.
Still likely to happen occasionally, but not nearly as bad as closures, and not as often as in the past.

In terms of driving it depends, for those of us in the city metro is often faster, and driving involves parking which can be painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,866 times
metro is basically useless on the weekends.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
metro is basically useless on the weekends.
Its a lot tougher to manage, but still the better way to get downtown, I think. Although parking isnt that big an issues on the weekend.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,312 times
Once their done rehabbing the system, it will go back to how it was when it was a new system.

The reason they had to do this rehab is because they fell WAY behind on maintenance over the years. If they just keep things maintained moving forward, metro will become very reliable. Especially with the new rail cars coming that will replace most of the current fleet by 2018.

No pain no gain. But people don't get it. They just like to whine.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
It seems like the red line has so many more major incidents than the other lines...I can't imagine having to rely on it.

In the almost two years I've been using Metro on an almost daily basis, I haven't had a single major incident (thankfully I drove the day of the L'Enfant incident or that would have been a nightmare, although I probably would have just biked). It also seems to me, but maybe I'm just crazy, that the vast majority of Metro incidents happen later in the morning rush. I'm off Metro by like 7:50 so that's my theory. My coworkers than come in at 9 are the ones always having problems.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It seems like the red line has so many more major incidents than the other lines...I can't imagine having to rely on it.

In the almost two years I've been using Metro on an almost daily basis, I haven't had a single major incident (thankfully I drove the day of the L'Enfant incident or that would have been a nightmare, although I probably would have just biked). It also seems to me, but maybe I'm just crazy, that the vast majority of Metro incidents happen later in the morning rush. I'm off Metro by like 7:50 so that's my theory. My coworkers than come in at 9 are the ones always having problems.
Yeah something always seems to happen between 8 and 9 AM.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Was traveling from Grovesnor Metro to the Navy Yard on Saturday. They stopped the train at Dupont, made everyone get off then offered shuttles to Farragut North. I've lived here most of my life but I have to admit, I got confused a little. Ended up getting out at L'enfant plaza, took a bus to the Navy Yard.....

For now on, I will check the status of Metro before I leave,....
I don't take Metro but it seems worse than NYC subways which is remarkable to me. In NYC the trains generally operated smoothly with delays caused by suicides, people holding doors or track fires due to litter. Metro delays seem to be based on sheer incompetence.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't take Metro but it seems worse than NYC subways which is remarkable to me. In NYC the trains generally operated smoothly with delays caused by suicides, people holding doors or track fires due to litter. Metro delays seem to be based on sheer incompetence.
NYC subway is garbage. And they have ALL the same problems the metro has and more.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,477 times
Actually, to be fair I took the Metro home from the Nats game last night, at around 8PM. Went from there to Bethesda, and it was a really smooth ride, no problems......so kudos. Although it cracks me up that I cannot understand the conductor. Either they talk to fast or in this case, half sentences were girggled...

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
The more I follow @unsuckmetro on Twitter, the more I realize we have a lot of damn whiners in this city. I was expecting armageddon yesterday because of the single tracking on the Orange/Silver/Blue and there was absolutely no issue at L'Enfant. Not a big crowd on the platform, not packed trains, and not a long wait for the train.

Some are legitimate like the crazy 26 minute headways on the weekend and the A/C problems but 80% of the crap is just whining. Wah, I have to stand. Wah, the trains crowded. Metro riders should be forced to ride trains in London, Paris, or Tokyo and then come back.

And then there are the dumb orange line riders who switch to the red for Gallery Place or to the green for Navy Yard when both stadiums are within a 15 minute walk of Metro Center and Capitol South (I love walking by all the dumb people on the platform at Metro center trying to pack in a red line train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC