Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 AM

83 posts, read 113,409 times

Advertisements

While in DC, you could head down the B-W Parkway (south from Reagan Nat'l Airport) and visit Mt. Vernon. An amazing bit of American history. Worth a day's visit, and the drive is very nice, along the Potomac River. The grounds are large and beautiful, and many of GW's innovations are rebuilt for visitors to see.

Another place for information on what to see is TripAdvisor. It is set up much like city-data (by state/city,etc) and geared toward travellers. I use the forum regularly for insider info on places I want to visit.

P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
To elaborate on your safety question:

The only parts of DC that are too sketchy to walk at night are northern Georgia Avenue in NE and Anacostia, which is over the river. Its very unlikely you will end up in any bad areas unless you are actively trying to get there. For starters, they are pretty far away from the city core, and secondly, there is really no reason to visit these areas because there is nothing to see. But some people consider those parts "the real DC". Which is insulting to the city.

As far as riding the metro (subway) goes.. just avoid the Green line if you want to avoid accidentally going into a sketchy area. All the places worth going on the Green line are also served by the yellow line. And most places only served by the Green line are places you don't want to go anyway.
It is just as much a part of the Real DC as the lapdog neighborhoods in Northwest. Can't have one without the other.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
I'd look into staying near the Dupont Circle or Logan Circle areas. They're safe, centrally-located, and have a lot of decent restaurants and such nearby so you can just wander around. Tabard Inn would be really nice (old, historic inn), but there are a lot of hotels and smaller inns nearby. The Mansion on O could be interesting, or you could stop by for brunch and a tour.

Food: there's a lot of good options. If you're up for it, I'd try Ethiopian/Eritrean food while you're here. My favorite is Keren, but there are tons around the city, particularly in the U Street and Shaw area. Off the top of my head, other good places to look into (aside from what was already mentioned) would be Rasika (either downtown or West End), Farmers Fishers Bakers, Kapnos, Mintwood Place, Iron Gate, Pearl Dive, Granville Moore, Compass Rose, DBGB, Donburi, Mandu, Pho 14, Doi Moi, Thip Khao, Bar Charley, and Baan Thai (above Tsunami Sushi). I'm sure there's more, but that's just what comes to mind. You can look on Yelp or reviews in the Washington Post to get an idea of places.

For jazz definitely check out the U Street area, you can also walk to Adams Morgan from there and find live music at Columbia Station (I think there's free live jazz every night of the week). For Adams Morgan, I'd try to go there any night but Saturday night, since there's still quite a few people who come in to the neighborhood to get completely drunk. Every other night of the week it's got a much more neighborhood-y vibe. If you're into music you could also check out Songbyrd, a new cafe and restaurant that focuses on records, more so than live music.

In general, I'd say it's worth it to explore U Street, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park (more residential, but nice to walk between here and Cleveland Park or duck into the Zoo and Rock Creek Park), Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Capital Hill/Eastern Market, and H Street.

If you're interested in history, then it could be worth getting a car for a day and driving out to some battlefields. There are five Civil War historical sites in/near Fredericksburg, VA, which is about an hour's drive from DC. It also has a cute downtown, so it could be a good day trip. Mt Vernon is also really nice, and an easy drive. Old Town Alexandria might also be interesting to you, and it doesn't require a car (take the metro to King Street, or there's a boat you can take from Georgetown and back).

Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It is just as much a part of the Real DC as the lapdog neighborhoods in Northwest. Can't have one without the other.
You can totally have one without the other. Especially if the "other" is the Detroit-like, ghetto, grim that is over that river.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Hello, people, my wife and I will be taking a week off in October (10-17) and we are leaning toward visiting Dc for the first time, which we planned several times and always postponed.

I already browsed for hours the main websites about DC but it's always good to hear from the locals. We love the city, we are Italians and lived in West Palm Beach, Fl so we miss the city lifestyle, the walking, shops along the streets and not in strip malls etc...

After visiting NY and Chicago (well, Chicago 4 times, it's become our second home pretty much, love it), I decided I can't postpone a trip to the capital any longer.

We have no intention of driving; we love to get a smart card, ride buses and metro and finally walk, as down here in Fla, unless you go to Miami, you are dead without a car.

Being the first time in DC of course we'll go to the White House (outside) and the main attractions. But we are not just into taking pics of landmarks. We like to walk the neighborhoods, see real life unfolding, have a taste of the how the people are in a new city.

So, before this gest too long:

1-where should I try to get a hotel to maximize our excursions? We are going to get out at night as well: dinner, hopefully I can catch some live jazz etc..
Is downtown the best option?

2-If you would be a visitor and you had to visit 5 attractions where would you go?

3-anyone has ay "inside" tip regarding food, restaurants, or anything else that might not be found on the main websites?

Well, anything that comes to mind. I know that my trips to Chicago would have never been that great without the insiders from Chicago here at CD Forum, so I am asking for similar help here.

Also, it comes to mind, like I said we don't mind walking and seeing neighborhoods, so if you have a particular hood to suggest us as a visit, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help.
The Smithsonian Institution—the world’s largest museum and research complex—includes 19 museums and galleries and the National Zoological Park.

Most Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are free and open every day of the year except December 25. For hours of operation, see information on planning your visit or select a museum from the list.
Note: Additional Smithsonian exhibitions and events can be found in the S. Dillon Ripley Center on the National Mall.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I'd look into staying near the Dupont Circle or Logan Circle areas. They're safe, centrally-located, and have a lot of decent restaurants and such nearby so you can just wander around. Tabard Inn would be really nice (old, historic inn), but there are a lot of hotels and smaller inns nearby. The Mansion on O could be interesting, or you could stop by for brunch and a tour.

Food: there's a lot of good options. If you're up for it, I'd try Ethiopian/Eritrean food while you're here. My favorite is Keren, but there are tons around the city, particularly in the U Street and Shaw area. Off the top of my head, other good places to look into (aside from what was already mentioned) would be Rasika (either downtown or West End), Farmers Fishers Bakers, Kapnos, Mintwood Place, Iron Gate, Pearl Dive, Granville Moore, Compass Rose, DBGB, Donburi, Mandu, Pho 14, Doi Moi, Thip Khao, Bar Charley, and Baan Thai (above Tsunami Sushi). I'm sure there's more, but that's just what comes to mind. You can look on Yelp or reviews in the Washington Post to get an idea of places.

For jazz definitely check out the U Street area, you can also walk to Adams Morgan from there and find live music at Columbia Station (I think there's free live jazz every night of the week). For Adams Morgan, I'd try to go there any night but Saturday night, since there's still quite a few people who come in to the neighborhood to get completely drunk. Every other night of the week it's got a much more neighborhood-y vibe. If you're into music you could also check out Songbyrd, a new cafe and restaurant that focuses on records, more so than live music.

In general, I'd say it's worth it to explore U Street, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, Woodley Park (more residential, but nice to walk between here and Cleveland Park or duck into the Zoo and Rock Creek Park), Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Capital Hill/Eastern Market, and H Street.

If you're interested in history, then it could be worth getting a car for a day and driving out to some battlefields. There are five Civil War historical sites in/near Fredericksburg, VA, which is about an hour's drive from DC. It also has a cute downtown, so it could be a good day trip. Mt Vernon is also really nice, and an easy drive. Old Town Alexandria might also be interesting to you, and it doesn't require a car (take the metro to King Street, or there's a boat you can take from Georgetown and back).
It would take "The Flash" longer than a week to do all that.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
Guys, thank you a lot, great information, from the green line (try to find that online in this politically correct society...lol), from all the ethnic food, the history, to the suggestions for a day trip (I was already thinking Manassas, but I ike the Fredericksburg idea and Mt. Vernon).
I am creating a spreadhseet with all your suggestions, day truips, restaurant, bars, etc... Just can't thank you enough, very helpful indeed.

Let me ask, is 6 nights maybe too much to say in DC? I know some co-workers and friends who went to DC. They all took short trips 2 to max 4 nights and said it was more than enough. What do you think? My wife and I we tend to "get involved" in the cities we visit, I mean, we don't like just to rush from landmark to landmark, but we are a couple who can easily spend (waste?? lol) an entire afternoon in a park or in a bar, just because we like the vibe.
Or simply walking up and down with no set destination, looking at the shops, the people,, the buildings, the architecture....

And I know some of the Smithsonians museums can keep us in there 3-4 hours easily, if not more.

Worst scenario, I guess, if we want a change after a few days, we can always ride the train to Philly for a day and give a quick look the that city as well, it's so close!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
You can totally have one without the other. Especially if the "other" is the Detroit-like, ghetto, grim that is over that river.
Right. Because every single neighborhood East of the River is a Detroit-like urban prarire and bombed out ghetto full of bloodthirsty murderers and the like Miss me with that ignorant ass sheltered bullsh1t. It's as much a part of DC culture and history whether you like it or not.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post

Solidly informative post

Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Guys, thank you a lot, great information, from the green line (try to find that online in this politically correct society...lol), from all the ethnic food, the history, to the suggestions for a day trip (I was already thinking Manassas, but I ike the Fredericksburg idea and Mt. Vernon).
I am creating a spreadhseet with all your suggestions, day truips, restaurant, bars, etc... Just can't thank you enough, very helpful indeed.

Let me ask, is 6 nights maybe too much to say in DC? I know some co-workers and friends who went to DC. They all took short trips 2 to max 4 nights and said it was more than enough. What do you think? My wife and I we tend to "get involved" in the cities we visit, I mean, we don't like just to rush from landmark to landmark, but we are a couple who can easily spend (waste?? lol) an entire afternoon in a park or in a bar, just because we like the vibe.
Or simply walking up and down with no set destination, looking at the shops, the people,, the buildings, the architecture....

And I know some of the Smithsonians museums can keep us in there 3-4 hours easily, if not more.

Worst scenario, I guess, if we want a change after a few days, we can always ride the train to Philly for a day and give a quick look the that city as well, it's so close!
If you plan on visiting all the museums.. that alone can take up most of your time. For a normal tourist I would say 6 nights is too much.. but for someone who really wants to explore the city in depth and go beyond the tourist traps.. I say 6 nights is probably fine. At least you won't feel rushed and you will actually be able to take everything in at your own pace. It all comes down to what you enjoy doing and how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

Also.. if you happen to be in DC on a Wednesday night.. there is karaoke in Chinatown at Hill Country Barbecue on Wednesday nights. That is always fun to watch. And if you like newer architecture I suggest walking into the Marriott Marquis hotel near Chinatown. The interior is amazing and its not something most tourist will know about. Union station has nice architecture too.

If you want a nice peaceful walk with no destination.. I suggest Wisconsin Avenue. It starts in Georgetown and goes all the way to the Maryland border where there is a Metro station to take you right back into Downtown. You will see several restaurants, parks, bars and the National Cathedral on this walk. I suggest stopping to check out the National Cathedral as well. But its a good two hour walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: