Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times

Advertisements

This isn't just Baltimore, it's happening to lots of areas all over the country as people come to DC cause that's where they can build their career and where the jobs are. You can substitute Baltimore with, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit... etc..

I would run into so many people from the Motor City in the past 2 years down here...

Baltimore has a unique situation in being close and just too easy to tap into DC to some degree, that's about the only difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
*Agreed!!! Majority of these are older East Coast/Mid-West rust-belt cities and Baltimore is in a prime location because it can access the metros of other cities on the Eastern seaboard pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
This isn't just Baltimore, it's happening to lots of areas all over the country as people come to DC cause that's where they can build their career and where the jobs are. You can substitute Baltimore with, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit... etc..

I would run into so many people from the Motor City in the past 2 years down here...

Baltimore has a unique situation in being close and just too easy to tap into DC to some degree, that's about the only difference.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM

"White suburban anxiety about black city residents commuting to suburban office parks and schools also played a part I suspect..."

*Ok! This an interesting point that has been reverberated from many residents inside and outside of Baltimore. I'd be called a reverse racist if I expressed the exact same sentiment.

"If you are a Republican governor with an anti-urban development bias, where do you put your dollars?"

*Another interesting point! Do you think Hogan has an anti-urban development bias?! This may be a possible thread that require more investigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Gov. Hogan gave a big middle finger to Baltimore. White suburban anxiety about black city residents commuting to suburban office parks and schools also played a part I suspect. Baltimore County is in a completely racial/political universe from the City. Been that way for at least 50 years now.

Here's the thing...Montgomery County is already affluent and enjoys super low unemployment. The State decides to build a light rail line in a region that is already flush with jobs and cash. That's called ROI. Developers can expect handsome profits for their properties near Purple Line stations. Building a rail line between Baltimore and its suburbs is far riskier and is thus perceived as a public works project. If you are a Republican governor with an anti-urban development bias, where do you put your dollars? Montgomery County wins every time.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Baltimore is doomed simply because there is nothing about Baltimore to draw people towards it when DC is so close. Its like Newark New Jersey compared to NYC.

When you have a large, cosmopolitan, vibrant, wealthy and powerful city near you.. there is simply no competition. The more iconic city will get the best people and the lower tier city will get the leftovers.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Baltimore is doomed simply because there is nothing about Baltimore to draw people towards it when DC is so close. Its like Newark New Jersey compared to NYC.

When you have a large, cosmopolitan, vibrant, wealthy and powerful city near you.. there is simply no competition. The more iconic city will get the best people and the lower tier city will get the leftovers.
Bad comparison, assumption, and exaggeration. For one Newark is only 8 miles west of Manhattan and DC is not New York and Baltimore is not Newark, and I'm sure there is nothing about Baltimore to draw people in because you said so. When you have arrogant boosters this is the best response you will get!^^^^

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 09-21-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:

Baltimore still has somewhat of a decent draw to lure people but you're right for the most part. However, I'd say DC and Baltimore are more like San Francisco and Oakland than NYC and Newark.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:

Not entirely. For me, I would find a city LIKE Baltimore attractive. I mean, a large cheap affordable city NEXT to with very close proximity to a monster powerful one like DC. It's way more interesting to have 'the best of both worlds' like that.

The real problem is Baltimore itself. The problems are too enormous.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 AM

I have family and friends from Newark, Hoboken, Irvington and West New York, NJ who say Baltimore reminds them of Newark circa' 1970's in so many ways. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
Bad comparison, assumption, and exaggeration. For one Newark is only 8 miles west of Manhattan and DC is not New York and Baltimore is not Newark, and I'm sure there is nothing about Baltimore to draw people in because you said so. When you have arrogant boosters this is the best response you will get!^^^^

Old 09-22-2015, 05:48 AM

"The real problem is Baltimore itself."

*Could you please explain what you mean by this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not entirely. For me, I would find a city LIKE Baltimore attractive. I mean, a large cheap affordable city NEXT to with very close proximity to a monster powerful one like DC. It's way more interesting to have 'the best of both worlds' like that.

The real problem is Baltimore itself. The problems are too enormous.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,287 times
What I think is interesting is that the educational attainment of Baltimore's population has increased dramatically over the past few years to just below the national average. Baltimoreans under age 50 have attainments a little above the national average. Sometimes I feel that the problem is with the old guard: people (my age) that are still in control of the city government and other institutions who are particularly impressive (to me anyway.) Anyway, if trends continue, there will be plenty of brain power in Baltimore and the very real drain of brains to DC won't make as much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: