Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 AM

32 posts, read 145,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Oh yes. You are the enlightened one. You broke free from a small town with people with small minds. God, doesn't it feel great to put those people down from your lofty perch in the Nation's Capital? Slaving away at college and busting your butt through law school gives you complete license to treat anyone who doesn't quite fit your intelligence standards like garbage.

Poor people are ugly, lazy, fat and stupid and they don't come to Washington, DC to build a career. Got the picture, now.

Oh yeah, no one outside of DC really cares what you do. But I am sure you are making the world a better place...for Fortune 500 corporate clients.

Oh...you and the hubby don't forget to vote Republican in November. God forbid if we should have a Democrat pulling such high-achievers like you down a notch by raising your taxes a few pennies so those ugly, lazy poor people get money for education and health care.
You are channeling my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Calm down everybody, please.
Yac.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
I'll never understand why people choose to live in a city filled with folks they despise (and envy, it would appear), and then complain about it. Washington attracts Type-A personalities, and if these types make you feel insecure, perhaps you should consider moving to one of those "normal" cities. There are many people living in the DC area who don't fit the profile you've laid out, and they seem pretty happy to me. Perhaps because they are busy with their jobs, families, and communities, and less concerned with the self-important guys glued to their Blackberries -- who, for all you know, might well be hard at work coordinating their volunteer assignments.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I'll never understand why people choose to live in a city filled with folks they despise (and envy, it would appear), and then complain about it. Washington attracts Type-A personalities, and if these types make you feel insecure, perhaps you should consider moving to one of those "normal" cities. There are many people living in the DC area who don't fit the profile you've laid out, and they seem pretty happy to me. Perhaps because they are busy with their jobs, families, and communities, and less concerned with the self-important guys glued to their Blackberries -- who, for all you know, might well be hard at work coordinating their volunteer assignments.
let me tell you my situation. My mother decided to move me here during HS. We thought it would be a good place to get ahead in life because of the jobs. We had no idea about most of the people that live here. All we wanted was better opportunites not all the garbage we have to put up with.

You say why not move? Let me tell a few other folks situations. One of my co-workers is sick of complaining about his high rent but he wont go anywhere b/c his young daughter lives here and he doesn't have custody. A lot of my friends are military so you know they cant go anywhere for awhile. Some are in college and dont want to transfer. Some are trying to sell their homes but cant move their homes because of the decline of the real estate market. A lot more stories, but i'll stop here.

Back to my situation, i'm at least a year from moving outta here. I'm in college and my mother is letting me live here free to save on rent. Also, i want to transfer with my company and want to build my resume so i'll get a promotion along with a transfer so i'll be able to have a higher standard of living. So, as much as i would love to, it is just not a wise idea to move right now for me. So as long as i'm living here i have every right to complain about it. Also, my mothers office is moving to KY in the not too distant future and from what i read her or her co-workers arent exactly too sad about having to leave metro DC.

Also, if the DC area was such a great place to live why are these "to h&%^ with DC, NoVA, MD, PG" so popular and most of the responses on those threads agree with the theme of the title?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Also, if the DC area was such a great place to live why are these "to h&%^ with DC, NoVA, MD, PG" so popular and most of the responses on those threads agree with the theme of the title?
On the day I move out, this is what I will say to DC:

http://heymabelblacklabel.com/5004ff40.jpg

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Oh...you and the hubby don't forget to vote Republican in November. God forbid if we should have a Democrat pulling such high-achievers like you down a notch by raising your taxes a few pennies so those ugly, lazy poor people get money for education and health care.

I think you're highly confused. Those "high-achieving", type-A personalities found here in DC are liberal Democrats, not Republicans.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,936 times
All in all, I personally think DC is a great city. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (stateside, anyway).

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
All in all, I personally think DC is a great city. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (stateside, anyway).
ditto. After spending some more time traveling to other cities in the US also I find that I am more of an East coast person...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:37 PM

381 posts, read 814,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
So as long as i'm living here i have every right to complain about it. Also, my mothers office is moving to KY in the not too distant future and from what i read her or her co-workers arent exactly too sad about having to leave metro DC.

Some people just love to be negative. But mostly, some just see what they want to see. This board is hardly an accurate sampling of the population of DC Metro.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
On the day I move out, this is what I will say to DC:

http://heymabelblacklabel.com/5004ff40.jpg
broken link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: