Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM

144 posts, read 43,702 times

Advertisements

Hahahaha

Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM

31,989 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Economists do in fact qualify pretty clearly and probably more so than any other group, CBO budget analysts, not so much. Think tank, nonprofit, and NGO researchers also clearly qualify. As do the legal scholars and scientists living in the area.

Economists though are leading intellectuals right now. This has been the case since the enlightenment (Karl Marx, Adam Smith, Keynes, Friedman, etc). DC has more economists per capita than any other city. The most influential intellectuals in history are economists.
I would not call a Federal Reserve, CBO, DOL or Treasury economist an "intellectual" any more than I would an economist working for Moody's or Goldman. If we were talking about someone like Gary Becker or Susan Strange, then you'd have a point, but these people are not advancing the field of economics in any way.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I think the fact that the discussion has descended into attempts to create a definitive ranking undermines the case for Washington having much intellectualism at all.
The left hemipshere would be more DC. NYC would be more of a balance.

http://www.lefthandersday.com/images/brainorg.jpg

Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,951,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would not call a Federal Reserve, CBO, DOL or Treasury economist an "intellectual" any more than I would an economist working for Moody's or Goldman. If we were talking about someone like Gary Becker or Susan Strange, then you'd have a point, but these people are not advancing the field of economics in any way.
I am talking more about the economist working for think tanks, ngos, and nonprofits. More akin to those working at Brookings, and the Urban Institute, and advancing the field through research. Not the CBO or Treasury. DOL serves an important purpose, but it's not intellectualism, and they hire more statisticians than economists, and this is being familiar with people who work there. They more provide the data than analyze it. Most economists in the area though do not work for the government.

With that being said the Federal Reserve being the exception to the list you provided. The federal reserve does quite a bit of research that does in fact advance the field of economics.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am talking more about the economist working for think tanks, ngos, and nonprofits. More akin to those working at Brookings, and the Urban Institute, and advancing the field through research. Not the CBO or Treasury. DOL serves an important purpose, but it's not intellectualism, and they hire more statisticians than economists, and this is being familiar with people who work there. They more provide the data than analyze it. Most economists in the area though do not work for the government.
You mean Nobel prize winning economists who've written for Brookings but don't live or teach in DC?

Paul Krugman (teaches at CUNY, lives in Manhattan)
Joseph Stiglitz (runs his own think tank in Manhattan)
Daniel McFadden (Professor at Cal Berkeley)
Gary Becker (deceased, Chicago School of Economic Theory)
Robert Solow (M.I.T.)
Lawrence Klein (Wharton)

The most influential economists who've written for Brookings are based out of institutions elsewhere.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Nobel Prize Winners by Institution

Harvard University - 153
Columbia University - 101
University of Cambridge - 91
University of Chicago - 91
UC Berkeley - 70
New York University - 36
Johns Hopkins - 36
University of Pennsylvania - 28
Georgetown University - 2

We clearly see where the transformative ideas are coming from.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM

Cities with most Nobel Prize Winners through 2012

New York - 51
Paris - 23
London - 17
Vienna - 13
Chicago - 12
Berlin - 10
Budapest - 8
Boston - 7
Moscow - 7
DC - 7

Nobels, No Degrees | Visual.ly

Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM

6,582 posts, read 6,634,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
San Francisco's particular influence is more technology/engineering so it shouldn't make the top 3. San Francisco would rank better for nerdiest cities, perhaps.
we need engineers far more than additional people overanalyzing the Presidential race

Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,322,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nobody argues that. I just took issue with the notion that New York is dominated by the financial industry. DC is dominated by the legal industry to a greater extent than New York is by the financial industry.

NYC Metro Financial Analysts + Financial Managers + Securities and Commodities Agents + Brokerage Clerks

199,015 (2.05% of civilian workforce)

DC Metro Lawyers and Paralegals

76,055 (2.39% of civilian workforce)
I think it may be more of an issue of how the phrase 'dominated by' is being interpreted. The NYC area is not dominated by finance in the sense that the majority (or even plurality) of people work in the finance sector. That said, it could be argued that the NYC area is dominated by finance in the sense that many (if not most) of the movers-and-shakers, top philanthropists, those buying the $20M+ apartments, expensive jewelry, etc. are working in finance.

If someone asked me if NYC was dominated by finance, I might say yes but my answer would best be interpreted as the latter as opposed to the former.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,376,161 times
Maybe for people who work for the feds, they think they're sooooooo intellectual, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: