Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times

Advertisements

Markets crash, they boom and then level off or worst bust. Finance drives NYC, Federal drives DC, and Tech drives SF.

So lets see what could or has happened:
1. Enron
2. Dot Com Bubble.
3. Madoff Ponzi Scheme.
4. Federal Sequesters.
5. Government backed student and home loans that create bubbles.
6. AIG insuring sub-prime loans that were packaged and sold off as good when in fact they were toxic.
7. Its happened before and most likely will happen again

Old 10-12-2015, 07:12 PM

417 posts, read 594,588 times
I am not sure what is meant by intellectual. People that hold many degrees, then maybe but I don't believe that is what makes one an intellectual. Innovation and creativity is what makes a person intellectual. DC is not a hotbed of innovation that drives the economy. It pours money into the economy which is a driver but most of the "intellectuals" that I meet are not exactly creative or innovative. Most are in a bubble and they happen to be the only ones in it.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
This is just a general inquiry that I've had for quite sometime about Washington D.C., our Nation's capitol, and the amount of intellectualism that runs through it that is somewhat reminiscent of a well-oiled machine that is self-generating.

It's been duly noted, that DC has some of the most smartest, well-educated and creative people on the planet working and innovating all over the district. Can DC take this intellectual prize hands-down....Boston or New York anyone??!
DC is definitely a highly educated city, that's for sure. Tons of people who live here graduated from top universities all over the world. I would say DC does have smart and well-educated people but not so much creative. When I think creative I think of San Francisco. Entrepreneurship isn't as big here as in SF for instance since so many of the jobs here are affiliated with the government whether it be law, non-profits, actual government work, etc. DC is a conservative city in my opinion and I don't feel people are all that creative generally speaking. It's more status quo for the most part I find.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:26 PM

37 posts, read 41,910 times
I've lived and worked in both NYC and DC. My opinion is that they are pretty much equal intellectually. Overall culture though, in my opinion, is different in that NYC is much higher end and DC is more small townish.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:27 AM

417 posts, read 594,588 times
DC has alot of diversity but I would not call it cultured. NYC has a vibrant theater district, fashion industry, and much more. Keep in mind that DC and the surrounding areas have only recently, within the last decade have massive growth, in the 1960s and 1970s, DC and the surrounding area didn't have much of anything. NYC also has a large financial district. BTW, San Francisco has Silicon Valley which is about as intellectual as it gets and a vibrant art scene. DC has alot of lawyers but many of them are not from top schools. Unfortunately lawyers do not contribute much to any economy. As a matter of fact, many of the occupations that are abundant in DC do not add value to the economy. Lawyers, accountants. finance, and even social workers, politicians, and lobbyists do not create anything in terms of jobs. They are just support roles in most organizations and actually create very little in terms of creating jobs. Why do you think every country in the world is obsessed with STEM jobs which the other occupations I mentioned earlier look down on. Lawyers, financial, accountants, lobbyists, politicians, and so forth, what have your occupations contributed except to regulate all STEM which most have not even the slightest clue as to what they actually do but they love to tell people in those fields how to do their jobs and regulate them!! It's actually scary! In essence, lot of degrees but they are useless.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 AM

57 posts, read 87,093 times
DC is an intellectual city and perhaps the most intellectual in the world given its unique position in global affairs and public policy.

It's important to not throw labels in a bucket: Kant, Rousseau, Socrates, etc... they weren't 'creative' or 'inventive' but they are considered 'intellectuals' simply because of their philosophy which touches upon societal norms and global interactions.

The word 'intellectual' would not be the first adjective that comes to mind when discussing the workings of Leonardo Da Vinci. He is known as an 'inventor', 'creator', etc.

Silicon Valley can be 'creative' and 'inventive' but not so much 'intellectual'. That doesn't mean that there aren't highly intelligent people in SV, however.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:00 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Quote:
I am not sure what is meant by intellectual.
Why are you in here asking such an asinine question??!! Aren't you reading some of the posters responses on what intellectual and intellectuality is?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I am not sure what is meant by intellectual. People that hold many degrees, then maybe but I don't believe that is what makes one an intellectual. Innovation and creativity is what makes a person intellectual. DC is not a hotbed of innovation that drives the economy. It pours money into the economy which is a driver but most of the "intellectuals" that I meet are not exactly creative or innovative. Most are in a bubble and they happen to be the only ones in it.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Quote:
DC has alot of diversity but I would not call it cultured.
Muffy1, whatever you're smoking, drinking or injecting into your bloodstream...you need to put it down and call AA or DA.

Quote:
DC has alot of diversity but I would not call it cultured. NYC has a vibrant theater district, fashion industry, and much more. Keep in mind that DC and the surrounding areas have only recently, within the last decade have massive growth, in the 1960s and 1970s, DC and the surrounding area didn't have much of anything. NYC also has a large financial district. BTW, San Francisco has Silicon Valley which is about as intellectual as it gets and a vibrant art scene. DC has alot of lawyers but many of them are not from top schools. Unfortunately lawyers do not contribute much to any economy. As a matter of fact, many of the occupations that are abundant in DC do not add value to the economy. Lawyers, accountants. finance, and even social workers, politicians, and lobbyists do not create anything in terms of jobs. They are just support roles in most organizations and actually create very little in terms of creating jobs. Why do you think every country in the world is obsessed with STEM jobs which the other occupations I mentioned earlier look down on. Lawyers, financial, accountants, lobbyists, politicians, and so forth, what have your occupations contributed except to regulate all STEM which most have not even the slightest clue as to what they actually do but they love to tell people in those fields how to do their jobs and regulate them!! It's actually scary! In essence, lot of degrees but they are useless.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:48 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Muffy1, whatever you're smoking, drinking or injecting into your bloodstream...you need to put it down and call AA or DA.

I know what you both mean but at the same time Infinite_heights77, what Muffy1 is refering to in terms of culture is the total package relating to various ethnic groups, historical sights and natural heritage, as well as the impact a city has in as far as having or playing a major role in music, film, theater, dance and visual art withing these diverse ethnic groups.

Unfortunately, DC falls mostly in the heretiage and historical culture aspect. People don't come here purely for the cultivation of music, art, theatre, or to set up shop in a specific ethnic neighborhoods based on heritage.

But DC is definitely rich and diverse in cultural heritage, various ethnic groups, and as well as historical sights. Unfortunately, most people derive pleasure from music, art, film, and dance more so than historical monuments, national parks, and museums.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:15 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Since the term is apparently now infinitely flexible, what if being an "intellectual" actually involves being able to recite all the emperors of Rome while simultaneously negotiating a left turn off Pennsylvania Ave SE onto Potomac Ave SE? How are all these out-of-town thing-maker people going to make out at that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: