Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Not going to happen as long as WMATA is underfunded by the various jurisdictions.
I think you're missing the point. By "lean"....I mean cost cutting...getting rid of redundancies....reduction of the workforce....reduced workforce costs. None of that portends additional funding.....in fact the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
What it portends is utter systemic failure fueled by purposeful bias and other sorts of knee-jerk misconception. The system has for years now been slowly bled dry by backward, transit-hating local government ideologues who always seem to find something better to do with the money than giving it to Metro. The problems you see in the system today are ALL the result of under-funding. They would not be here had funding been maintained at levels a gerbil would have seen as necessary to maintain a first-class transit system. Come up with a dependable long-term revenue source for Metro -- something they can plan and count on. Problems solved.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-09-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
What it portends is utter systemic failure fueled by purposeful bias and other sorts of knee-jerk misconception. The system has for years now been slowly bled dry by backward, transit-hating local government ideologues who always seem to find something better to do with the money than giving it to Metro. The problems you see in the system today are ALL the result of under-funding. They would not be here had funding been maintained at levels a gerbil would have seen as necessary to maintain a first-class transit system. Come up with a dependable long-term revenue source for Metro -- something they can plan and count on. Problems solved.
You are absolutely delusional on this matter. You are defending a broken agency that is subsidized significantly by DC, Maryland, and Virginia, as well as our fares. You must work for them if you cannot see the problems from this top heavy, and poorly managed agency. Never mind the fact it was one of the worst unions, as well as tons of customer service issues.

WMATA would be rather easy to fix starting from scratch. One is no more defined benefit pensions, and defined contribution. DC switched to defined contribution ages ago, and it is one of the reasons it's one of the few states/municipalities which is in the black budgetary wise. The death spiral is common for entities which have defined benefit pensions.

Secondly, the entire organizational structure needs to be streamlined, layers of management solves nothing. One executive and one assistant director responsible, but no other managers for each division, and far fewer divisions. Clearer lines of communication as well.

This is a broken agency, and if you think it's because of some anti-transit agenda you are downright delusional. I want great transit in the city, I depend on transit as I don't own a car. But to say metro runs well, and place the blame elsewhere is telling. This is a broken organization, and you need to quit fooling yourself about it. It's not the lack of funds, it's the agency itself and it's employees. Commuters want the transit system to work, but the people who work at the transit agency and the agencies management are the problem.

If anything you are indicative of the knee jerk blame everybody else problem with WMATA. This is why the agency really should be restructured, go into receivership (which is very likely at this point), or dissolved and reconstituted entirely.

The reason why we are having problems is not because of funding, but because of negligent management and agency. Frankly, I am not surprised that nobody trusts anybody at WMATA at this point.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Not going to happen as long as WMATA is underfunded by the various jurisdictions.
One reason they are underfunded is because when they get more funding, it just goes to paying lazy, incompetent employees higher salaries instead of improving customer service.

Are they REALLY under funded? Or do they just suck at using the money they get properly? I think its a little bit of both. They would get more funding if people saw positive results from funding increases. But again.. it just goes to paying lazy, idiotic, rude, incompetent, metro staff higher salaries while customer service and reliability continues to degrade.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
One reason they are underfunded is because when they get more funding, it just goes to paying lazy, incompetent employees higher salaries instead of improving customer service.

Are they REALLY under funded? Or do they just suck at using the money they get properly? I think its a little bit of both. They would get more funding if people saw positive results from funding increases. But again.. it just goes to paying lazy, idiotic, rude, incompetent, metro staff higher salaries while customer service and reliability continues to degrade.
Bingo. People try to paint it as being one way or the other, when in reality, as is true with 95% of social and political issues in life, there are multiple factors at work.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You are absolutely delusional on this matter. You are defending a broken agency that is subsidized significantly by DC, Maryland, and Virginia, as well as our fares. You must work for them if you cannot see the problems from this top heavy, and poorly managed agency. Never mind the fact it was one of the worst unions, as well as tons of customer service issues.
LOL! You don't have to work for Metro to recognize blatant jaded babble when you see it. I've ridden the system for 30 years. I know what it was like then, I know what it is like now, and I know what happened in between to create a difference. The same management structure, the same sort of workforce, and the same union contracts were in place during the system's heyday. Those have nothing to do with declines in system performance. Declines are ALL primary, secondary, and tertiary effects of systemic underfunding over more than a decade now. That is what has caused the problems. It's quite a simple diagnosis for those without some sort of crude social agenda to put forward.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-10-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
How much of that worthless slander is just code-words for black?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Bingo. People try to paint it as being one way or the other, when in reality, as is true with 95% of social and political issues in life, there are multiple factors at work.
Wake up. The 800-pound gorilla here is UNDERFUNDING. Fund the system properly and your other complaints -- many of which are apt to be baseless in any case -- will be much reduced in number. You cannot drive a brand new Lexus while paying for a used Yugo.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Anyone defending Metro right now looks dumb and has egg on their face.

Even metro admits to themselves that they are stupid and incompetent:

https://wamu.org/news/15/10/09/at_lo...flicted_wounds

Old 10-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
How much of that worthless slander is just code-words for black?
Black has nothing to do with it. There are many black professionals in DC and around the world who do amazing work and are amazing at their jobs.

If the first word that comes to your mind when I say "lazy and incompetent" is "black" then YOU are the one who associates these characteristics with black people.

Don't project your own racism onto me please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC