Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
This will lead to a change in how both business and Government is run. Millennials being such a large generation will change things dramatically in the coming years as they eradicate much of the status quo. They will vote out people who don't see things their way and they will replace all the aging babyboomers. Majority of the workforce, managers, CEO's, etc. in the next 20 years. And millennials generally hate bureaucracy.

Its already happening in many companies in DC. I've seen large cultural shifts in companies with younger management.
This can't happen any faster. I am really tired of dealing with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" or "don't rock the boat" mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
DC will always be a hot job market because it is the capital.

This city is immune to what's going on in the rest of the country, up or down.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
"Why would anyone want to live in D.C. if you didn't HAVE to?"

Just about says it all doesn't it? I never saw the appeal to the place either, and regret living there as long as I did.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
They will vote out people who don't see things their way and they will replace all the aging babyboomers.
So in 2030, DC area workers might be able to embrace the same corporate culture Boston, Seattle, and SF have now.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
You can't compare DC to Manhattan, SF, Boston, or Seattle which have been largely white most of their history without the crime and blight DC had. All you newcomers can't remember a time in DC when there were no restaurants, shiny apartment buildings, or retail shopping across the city. DC is punching way above its weight in this completion considering where it started. All of you keep talking about what it's been like since 2002 etc., however, DC was very different prior to the last decade. DC will be very different over the next decade from now too. The more the city develops, the more it will change. We can come back to this thread in 2020 to see who was right and who was wrong.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You can't compare DC to Manhattan, SF, Boston, or Seattle which have been largely white most of their history without the crime and blight DC had. All you newcomers can't remember a time in DC when there were no restaurants, shiny apartment buildings, or retail shopping across the city. DC is punching way above its weight in this completion considering where it started. All of you keep talking about what it's been like since 2002 etc., however, DC was very different prior to the last decade. DC will be very different over the next decade from now too. The more the city develops, the more it will change. We can come back to this thread in 2020 to see who was right and who was wrong.
I totally get what you are saying and you make absolute sense but HOWEVER, you must admit that while people keep talking about what it's been like since 2002 etc., the new and or recent casts of elitists/classists have completely taken over. Therefore, all that you have written sort of gets washed away with the "world class", "on par" and reaching-like types that couldn't care less about the past.

Also, if the CURRENT culture wasn't genuinely cultivated at the grass ROOTS level and is ever changing, one has to wonder the overall impact this has had and will continue to have.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck-man View Post
NYC topped 2000 murders a year back in the late 80s/early 90s. While all five boroughs may not have been overwhelmingly black, there's been plenty in the 30-40% range for the the last years. Even NYC today has a 25% black population.

Who said NYC? I said Manhattan. NYC is 300 sq. miles and is way too large to compare to DC proper. Manhattan has been flipped upside down and turned inside out and the exact same thing is happening to DC with all the redevelopment. People complain about everything especially when they are new here. But people living here now have no idea how different the city is from 10 years ago. There are so many changes coming to DC the people in living here a decade from now in 2025 are not going to believe DC used to look like it does today. The people in 2035 are going to say the same thing about DC a decade prior.

DC, unlike San Fran or NYC has way more upside and undeveloped or underdeveloped parts of the city. You heard it here first, NOMA, Union Market, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Northwest One, Capital Riverfront, the Wharf/Waterfront Station, Buzzard Point, H Street/Atlas District, Ivy City/New City, and the Eco District will be considered some of the best urban neighborhoods in the nation when it's all said and done at full build out.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-28-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Who said NYC? I said Manhattan. NYC is 300 sq. miles and is way too large to compare to DC proper. Manhattan has been flipped upside down and turned inside out and the exact same thing is happening to DC with all the redevelopment. People complain about everything especially when they are new here. But people living here now have no idea how different the city is from 10 years ago. There are so many changes coming to DC the people in living here a decade from now in 2025 are not going to believe DC used to look like it does today. The people in 2035 are going to say the same thing about DC a decade prior.

DC, unlike San Fran or NYC has way more upside and undeveloped or underdeveloped parts of the city. You heard it here first, NOMA, Union Market, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Northwest One, Capital Riverfront, the Wharf/Waterfront Station, Buzzard Point, H Street/Atlas District, Ivy City/New City, and the Eco District will be considered some of the best urban neighborhoods in the nation when it's all said and done at full build out.
Would that be best in terms of overall culture or best as in richest for the elite? I still can't see how we go from what used to be, to current, then to what is going to be but still have a sense of rich rooted culture. If we don't have people that identify with its history, how can they contribute going fwd? Or is it by the time those places you state are fully developed, the field would have been panned out? Because if you need to have a BA to live in this area, how can people from all parts of the world that don't have such education be able to relate to those that live in these new build outs? How does culture beyond the uniqueness of DC thrive on this alone?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Would that be best in terms of overall culture or best as in richest for the elite? I still can't see how we go from what used to be, to current, then to what is going to be but still have a sense of rich rooted culture. If we don't have people that identify with its history, how can they contribute going fwd? Or is it by the time those places you state are fully developed, the field would have been panned out? Because if you need to have a BA to live in this area, how can people from all parts of the world that don't have such education be able to relate to those that live in these new build outs? How does culture beyond the uniqueness of DC thrive on this alone?
Best, as in very urban and vibrant. Usually, "best urban neighborhoods" tend to have the following:

-Very High Density
-Very High Shopping Saturation
-Very High Restaurant Saturation
-Multi-Modal Transportation Options
-Very Walkable
-Very Vibrant

Each of those neighborhoods will have all of these things.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck-man View Post
Having been to all four of the above cities, I can say that they offer a much more compelling lifestyle for young, affluent people.

I mean, give someone 20 million dollars and ask them to live in one of the following five cites: Boston, NYC, Seattle, SF or DC. How often will DC come out on top? We might beat Seattle or Boston occasionally, but who in their right mind would choose this place over NYC or SF?
Me. NYC is too busy for me and living in SF doesn't appeal to me since my family is in the Northeast. Way too many generalizations on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC