Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:28 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What other urban city with an urban lifestyle that offers the ability to live without a car would be cheaper than living in D.C.? That is the type of population D.C. attracts. People who desire an urban lifestyle with the ability to live in a walkable neighborhood with high density without a car. D.C. is headed for a Manhattan lifestyle in the core of the city with hundreds of high-rises going up in every corner. The type of people attracted to Manhattan or San Francisco will find D.C. appealing and both of those places are very expensive. Gentrification will take care of everything else you named overtime.

As for metro, nobody will be saying anything about Metro once the 7000 series replaces all the old cars. Those old cars are the reason metro has issues. It's not metro, its broken down cars.
Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland, Seattle and (if you're willing to live in Queens) NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Let me tell you the reality from a millennial. I was born in 1977. I work a fed job 2 blocks away from the White House. I will tell you what my "entertainment" along with law enforcement, military, and creativity has brought to the table- total disruption to the federal office. I am the the boat rocker. When the Thursday staff meeting comes, people cringe. outside of my day job, I am hired to consult nightclubs and pair djs with the texture, venues, and demographic of a space around the world thanks to technology. I bring this talent to the workplace in terms of assessing organizational structure- the federal work place. But in DC, the workplace bleeds into the local social scene and that is what creates such a bad mix for the various types that flood this area. And empathy is the new sexy word that many leaders of today lack. They are great at studies and their technical skills. But they have no idea how to lead or even speak to people.

For the past 3 performance ratings, I have received a superior. Because of me, each an everyone in my office has received their xmas bonuses. Rather than my efforts be recorded under my name, it was billed as a team effort. But still, despite my doings and because I am the youngest, I am considered the black sheep by the very same people that are receiving these bonuses. I am continuously being told to not rock the boat by the long timers. Guess what, the same people that champion DC as not being for NORMAL people and that DC should have a sign saying "bachelors degree" only are the same ones that I have to battle in government. These are the same individuals that have no idea how to lead and relate to people. They all want status quo. Nobody wants fresh ideas. It just doesn't register to them. Great leaders don't segregate and limit who should be part of their group. We open everyone and are mindful of those that don't comprehend.

Remember, in 2015, millennials are coming with more interests and abilities. It's not only nerds and the recluse types (although there are many). But the problem is that the open minded and creative types have to work together but they are being suppressed by the 1 trick pony types that you find on this message board. And the nerds aren't able to explore their own creative sides. It doesn't make you want to continue. It's very thankless in a way.

So when you have someone on yelp that asks the following question, someone like me can relate to her and guide her. I won't be waiving the "DC is strictly for the educated" flag at her.

Although the following article mostly reports the need for work-life balance and not being physically present at the job, it does demonstrate the disconnect with how people relate to current times.

Millennials want a work-life balance. Their bosses just don’t get why.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...db0_story.html

“I really see that there’s an empathy gap in the workplace,” said Karyn Twaronite, EY global-diversity and inclusiveness officer. “When there’s frustration about work-life balance in the workplace, and you think your boss doesn’t get it, that very likely could be true. ”
I laughed in that good drunk way. Good post. Damn, old man. lol

Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland, Seattle and (if you're willing to live in Queens) NYC.
Neither Boston or Seattle are cheaper than DC, try again. Boston in fact is far more expensive to rent in. (DC is more expensive to buy in.)

Likewise Chicago, Philly, and Portland have much weaker job markets for knowledge workers.

Also Boston is too Cold during the winters, and the winters are about 3 months longer (November to late March). Seattle is nice, but it's lacking in good public transit and is not as walkable as DC.

Again, I am not going to go through all the details either.

It should be noted, Boston is still the third most important city on the east coast, and Seattle is the third most important city on the west. They are great cities to live in by all means, but they are kind of a step below DC.

Like it was stated elsewhere, DC has unique opportunities you will not find in other cities. There are entire careers one can only really find in DC. Never mind the area has a very thick job market making it easy to maintain a career, change careers, and grow.

DC is an awful place if you are working class, but those are not the millenials moving here. These are idealistic and ambitious college educated young people. It's a little bit different stripe than the money hungry one finds in SF/SV. The opportunities they are seeking, flat out, cannot be achieved in the cities you listed.

For this reason DC is likely to draw people to the area for a long time.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Chicago and Boston are too cold and snowy for me. Portland and Seattle might be dense and urban compared to most of the country but they are a lot less urban than DC and lack subways. Philadelphia I can see as a good cheaper alternative to DC, except the job market there seems not as strong in some respects (or at least, not nearly as strong in the areas that DC is strong in).

Basically my point is depending on one's tastes for weather, transportation and style of neighborhood, there are a lot of reasons one might pick DC over cheaper, urban cities.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:52 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Philly needs help!!!!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Also Boston is too Cold during the winters, and the winters are about 3 months longer (November to late March). Seattle is nice, but it's lacking in good public transit and is not as walkable as DC.
Just playing devil's advocate -- but you could easily say DC is too warm in the summer. I've lived on the east coast my whole life and I've never *gotten used* to the miserable summers. Boston is perfect in the summer IMO.

Also, DC does have the idealistic political/non-profit opportunities that you can't really get other places. But how long does that last? Personally I've become extremely jaded/cynical about politics in this city after years of experience.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Just playing devil's advocate -- but you could easily say DC is too warm in the summer. I've lived on the east coast my whole life and I've never *gotten used* to the miserable summers. Boston is perfect in the summer IMO.

Also, DC does have the idealistic political/non-profit opportunities that you can't really get other places. But how long does that last? Personally I've become extremely jaded/cynical about politics in this city after years of experience.
That's the thing, when I left it was easier to transition into a better higher paying job in a different field. I am not sure it would have been nearly as easy in another city to do so, nor as financially rewarding. Especially to a job I actually like and do not hate doing.
So I am not the least bit jaded because of this. That's the thing, the layers of additional knowledge jobs helps DC out quite a bit, even if one gets burnt out on political/non-profit jobs.

With that being said, many people I know never did get burnt out.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 11-10-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Neither Boston or Seattle are cheaper than DC, try again. Boston in fact is far more expensive to rent in. (DC is more expensive to buy in.)
I implore you to do some actual real-estate searches. DC does not have a single walkable, subway-acessible, low-crime neighborhood as cheap as Allston, Brighton or Jamaica Plain. You can still find 2br apartments in the Back Bay for $2400. Try finding that in Georgetown.

Quote:
Likewise Chicago, Philly, and Portland have much weaker job markets for knowledge workers.
I know absolutely nothing about the job market in Philly or Portland, but the knowledge based economy in Chicago is very strong, and the arts economy is stronger. Yes, it's easier to find a DC-centric job in DC.

E]

Old 11-10-2015, 04:35 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Any beaches near Chicago? Whitewater kayaking in Boston? Civil War sites in Seattle?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Any beaches near Chicago? Whitewater kayaking in Boston? Civil War sites in Seattle?
Chicago is a better city by almost every measure. I'm sure that, along with the 12k/year you save in rent more than makes up for easy access to cold-water mid-Atlantic beaches.

DC is a lovely city, but the question was "what dense, urban walkable city is cheaper" and the answer is most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC