Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:32 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Three year projection is not that long, most people would respond that way.its too expensive and traffic is terrible.
Muffy, you live in the suburbs don't you? Traffic is not a city problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
DC people do't complain about traffic on 395, 50, NY Ave, 16th St, MacArthur, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Georgia Ave, NH Ave, N. Capitol, Nebraska, Foxhall, Constitution and dozens of other streets all over DC? I find that hard to believe. DC has plenty of very heavy traffic.
Around 70% of people living in D.C. commute by a means other than an automobile so why would we complain about traffic?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Around 70% of people living in D.C. commute by a means other than an automobile so why would we complain about traffic?
That's interesting. Where did you get the 70% number from?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's interesting. Where did you get the 70% number from?
Probably here: Here's a map of where people in our region commute to, and how - Greater Greater Washington

The fact is the majority of people who live in DC borders do not drive to work or to really anything. 40% of households do not even own a car, and to prove that's not an economic thing, the percentage goes up with college educated millennials. Again this may be hard for you to understand, and it's pretty clear you are a suburbanite, but for many living in the city it's a way of life.

It is also part of the whole return to the city thing which is popular with millennials that has been going on at least for the last 10 years, but only got noticed in the last 5. Many people do not want to spend their life stuck behind the wheel of a car and prefer walking, biking, and taking public transit. Taking DC has these features, the traffic issue is not really much of one for those living and working in the city since they do not drive to get around.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 11-05-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 02:36 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Quote:
Three year projection is not that long, most people would respond that way.
Millennials are young people. Three years to them is quite a long time. They arrive being open to leaving again if opportunities elsewhere should arise. But it seems that the longer they stay here, the less interested in ever leaving again they become.

Quote:
its too expensive and traffic is terrible.
It's not any more expensive than other comparable urban centers, and DC has more in the way of diversity and amenities to offer than many to most of the others do. Traffic in the REGION is said to be bad, but it isn't materially worse than anywhere else. Would I care if it took an average of 31 minutes to get to work here as opposed to an average of 29 minutes someplace else? Not a bit. Living in town, you might have to deal with some parking problems, but you don't have all these traffic problems that people from Gaithersburg, Purcellville, and La Plata like to talk about.

Last edited by Reynard32; 11-05-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 02:40 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am just going to say flat out you are wrong in this regard, they are not here by default, and I think you fail to understand this. Those who are idealistic and want to work for nonprofits, DC is the place. Those who want to work in politics, DC is the place. It is pretty clear you are not part of the elite knowledge group that is drawn to DC, you are in entertainment. So you really do not get this place and the people who are drawn to it. I should also note this is not a one trick town The area is far more diverse economically than you realize. This is not just government office drones as you suggest and you will never get this. Frankly, you are not in the right circles to know that. You are too obsessed about entertainment.

I am sorry you don't get this, but you don't strike me as the type that will ever get DC and why people are drawn to it. If you want to get rich, you go to SF or NYC, if you want to change the world you got to DC.
Yeah, this is not a city for "normal" people. So what.
And there she is!! I was wondering where you were.

The post has been up for a couple days and it needed some traction. All I had to do is drop a pin and let it ripple...

But on a serious note, here is the problem with the "follow up" to your statement (not necessarily you). I have been arguing for a while now, ever since I finally came to, that DC is very unique. There are those that thrive here and those that don't. However, DC is a back wash. Meaning, DC is ever changing and many that come here assume that certain things will be set in place because it is DC, the capital. But as many "normal folk" that come here, they don't understand the why it isn't and so they ask. And instead of being met with normalcy, they are met with enormous backlash and undermined by the self-anointed classists such as yourself (and I respect that of you) But DC has a way of defending itself in order to be "ON PAR" with all other cities instead of defending its own uniqueness. That in itself shows defeat and weakness. You can't be a city for the abnormal but expect to have the cultural aspect of cities for normal people.

You get it but many don't. You are of the very few that champion that DC is not a city for normal people and you stick with that.

And I still love you District Sonic.. (seriously)

Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And many who do use a car are doing a reverse commute. You can zip right along when all the traffic is going in a different direction.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I have been arguing for a while now, ever since I finally came to, that DC is very unique.
"Unique" is like "pregnant" -- either you are or you aren't.

Quote:
There are those that thrive here and those that don't.
Just as true of Billings.

Quote:
However, DC is a back wash. Meaning, DC is ever changing and many that come here assume that certain things will be set in place because it is DC, the capital. But as many "normal folk" that come here, they don't understand the why it isn't and so they ask.
What? Did you read that back before you posted it? I've read it several times and have no idea what it means. The rest of the post seemed to me just as disjointedly inscrutable. Maybe be more "normal" than trying to be some deep-seeing mystical sage or something.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am just going to say flat out you are wrong in this regard, they are not here by default, and I think you fail to understand this.
It's just the wording that you are hung up on but it's really all the same.

Default means they have no other choice because what is UNIQUILEY offered in DC is not offered nearly as much in many other places- further supporting your "DC is not for normal people" statement. So, this limits their options and they end up here by default. And yes, being part of entertainment, not exclusively mind you, is my understanding of human behavior and pattern. So yes, if they could get all that DC had to offer without stepping foot in DC, they would never come here. People don't genuinely love living with roommates and not being able afford a home. So that is why I said that default is starting to fuse in with "deliberately" because as the years go by with this economy, they don't have any other option but DC... But now that they are here, with all the above stated, where else and even more, why esle would they go?

Plus, you can't compare millennials and the more seasoned. Different stages of life with different needs. The more seasoned are NOT going to stick around a city of the abnormally expensive and educated their entire lives unless they have been here from jump- like these new millennials coming on board. Therefore, the city is going to get younger and younger...

How am I doing?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
"Unique" is like "pregnant" -- either you are or you aren't.

Just as true of Billings.

What? Did you read that back before you posted it? I've read it several times and have no idea what it means. The rest of the post seemed to me just as disjointedly inscrutable. Maybe be more "normal" than trying to be some deep-seeing mystical sage or something.
No offense, but you are one of them. So no matter what I say, you will find a way to undermine it. Right now I can name or list any social view and we will flat out disagree. We are simply that different in our thoughts and ideas.

But if I present a flow chart and %s before you, you will go to town and eat it up so fast.. So, it's no offense it's just how we process things differently. I will not get into it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: