Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,178,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
No offense, but you are one of them. So no matter what I say, you will find a way to undermine it. Right now I can name or list any social view and we will flat out disagree. We are simply that different in our thoughts and ideas.
No offense, but "different" is not an excuse for "disjointedly inscrutable".

Quote:
But if I present a flow chart and %s before you, you will go to town and eat it up so fast..
Such anti-intellectual stereotyping reveals more than I suspect you would have wanted it to.

Quote:
So, it's no offense it's just how we process things differently.
As in "scrutably" versus "inscrutably"?

Quote:
I will not get into it with you.
That's a wise choice you've made there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,173,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am just going to say flat out you are wrong in this regard, they are not here by default, and I think you fail to understand this. Those who are idealistic and want to work for nonprofits, DC is the place. Those who want to work in politics, DC is the place. It is pretty clear you are not part of the elite knowledge group that is drawn to DC, you are in entertainment. So you really do not get this place and the people who are drawn to it. I should also note this is not a one trick town The area is far more diverse economically than you realize. This is not just government office drones as you suggest and you will never get this. Frankly, you are not in the right circles to know that. You are too obsessed about entertainment.

I am sorry you don't get this, but you don't strike me as the type that will ever get DC and why people are drawn to it. If you want to get rich, you go to SF or NYC, if you want to change the world you got to DC.
Yeah, this is not a city for "normal" people. So what.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,512,623 times
Millennials like DC for the following reasons:

-Not as competitive and expensive as NYC.
-Not as dirty as Philly
-Not as cold and clannish as Boston
-Not as ghetto as Baltimore
-Not as slow as Atlanta

A lot of millennials want to live the Manhattan lifestyle on the East Coast. Currently DC is the best alternative to NYC.. which is where they REALLY want to live, but cannot afford it or cannot get a job in the hyper-competitive market up there. DC is international, powerful, cosmopolitan and important.. just like NYC. And its the only city on the East Coast that matters outside of NYC.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,745,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Millennials are young people. Three years to them is quite a long time. They arrive being open to leaving again if opportunities elsewhere should arise. But it seems that the longer they stay here, the less interested in ever leaving again they become.

It's not any more expensive than other comparable urban centers, and DC has more in the way of diversity and amenities to offer than many to most of the others do. Traffic in the REGION is said to be bad, but it isn't materially worse than anywhere else. Would I care if it took an average of 31 minutes to get to work here as opposed to an average of 29 minutes someplace else? Not a bit. Living in town, you might have to deal with some parking problems, but you don't have all these traffic problems that people from Gaithersburg, Purcellville, and La Plata like to talk about.
I fail to understand how you think you can generalize Millennials, saying, "Three years to them is quite a long time". Are you their representative? Did you study this group for decades? Do you have hard data to back this up??

What other simplified generalization do you have for the young people or even other race different than yours?

What I gather is that you're 'that guy'. You're that person who is in front of an open highway in your Leaf or Prius, going 35 on 55, slowing down traffic for everyone, believing you're actually saving the world.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 AM

27,366 posts, read 28,445,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Millennials like DC for the following reasons:

-Not as competitive and expensive as NYC.
-Not as dirty as Philly
-Not as cold and clannish as Boston
-Not as ghetto as Baltimore
-Not as slow as Atlanta

A lot of millennials want to live the Manhattan lifestyle on the East Coast. Currently DC is the best alternative to NYC.. which is where they REALLY want to live, but cannot afford it or cannot get a job in the hyper-competitive market up there. DC is international, powerful, cosmopolitan and important.. just like NYC. And its the only city on the East Coast that matters outside of NYC.
This is pretty much true, I agree. I would add that it is perhaps easier financially for a lot of people to live and work in the DC area and go to NYC as often as you like than living somewhere in NJ and trying to do the same.

I actually know quite a few New Yorkers who haven't experienced many things in their own city that I have, strangely enough.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:48 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,960,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

I know you feel oh so good all over your body. You were just waiting for it. Of course we are in DC, let the women walk in front and do the job... You have absolutely no idea how you come across when you do this. And you do this all the time...

Old 11-06-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I fail to understand how you think you can generalize Millennials...
Dude, it's the thread and the Business Journal article that have singled out millennials. I noted that these are young people, and that the younger one is, the longer any given period of time will seem. Three years is a distant and undetermined horizon to those just starting out in a job or a city. It's the same for every generation.

Quote:
What other simplified generalization do you have for the young people or even other race different than yours?
How do you expect to be able to talk about anything at all in a space-limited environment such as this one without using buzzwords, short-forms, and generalizations? Did you mistake C-D posts for a series of footnoted, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal articles? Maybe save your outrage for something that's actually outrageous.

Quote:
What I gather is that you're 'that guy'. You're that person who is in front of an open highway in your Leaf or Prius, going 35 on 55, slowing down traffic for everyone, believing you're actually saving the world.
At least on this occasion, you have demonstrated an ominous deficiency in gathering skills. Best of luck in your next attempts.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Let me just shut it down right now... Remember back when I would always question why the use of words such as "world class" or "on par" and that it sounded as if the DC defenders were reaching? Well even the Washington post caught up on that. It's a sense that I have noticed and touched on in that DC has an identity crisis by which it can't simply embrace its own uniqueness- (a word that Reynard32 despises) And we are talking about real-world conversations here. So in essence, DC is becoming a back wash because you don't know whether you are coming or going. It creates a 1 trick pony texture of the same kind of abnormal folk but are trying to lure in normal folks. Almost insane behavior. This is what happens when you have a bunch of wonks in 1 place.... (which is what my original post was about) But it is a disconnect- a pure blind spot. It's not what I don't get. It's the phoniness that people pick up on that YOU don't get. Had you retained authenticity....

Enough with this ‘world class’ nonsense
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...lass-nonsense/

QUOTE:
"Here’s the question: what does “world-class” even mean? These days, it feels more like a catch-phrase thrown in to a) draw investor dollars and b) inflate the egos of those involved in courting said money. But more insidiously, it implies that developing things for the folks already here isn’t enough of an impetus for change. “World class” should equally apply to the original and authentic, not just the new and glitzy".

QUOTE:
“We have the Georgetown waterfront, but that kind of has the feeling of being [an] upper class, pricey area. If we brought new stuff down here, and made it look nicer with newer buildings, it’s not going to be just Georgetown people,” Beth Hanko, 25, who’s worked there for 7 seasons, said. “This will be where people from D.C. can come, normal people.”

Even the commenters know it's inauthentic and phony.

QUOTE:
"As I always said, "world class" is an inferiority complex fetish enabled by Metro DC residents traveling the world over and seeing something modern that DC doesn't have. It won't end until the city installs moving sidewalks to every door".

QUOTE:
"You got it right. It's very inauthentic, and ignores those of us who are already here. Short term monetary gains over long term organic community building and development. Welcome to the last 14 years in Washington - transiency creation".

Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I know you feel oh so good all over your body. You were just waiting for it. Of course we are in DC, let the women walk in front and do the job... You have absolutely no idea how you come across when you do this. And you do this all the time...
As interesting as a left over bowl of yesterday's under-salted oatmeal. Those two months on the park bench were a time of waste and pointless fancy. You've gained no actual insight into the life of anyone. Or anywhere.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 AM

What you fail to realize is that you need balance. You need "normal" people to call you out and tell you, stop putting your tail between your legs, stop reaching, stop trying to be like everyone else, stop trying to be world class, stop being fake. What got you your masters is not what enables you to thrive socially..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: