Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 AM

353 posts, read 1,261,465 times

Advertisements

I was planning on staying in my nice little apartment for another year, then considering relocating to another state. Unfortunately for me my landlords dropped news on me that they're leaving the country and that I have to find another place at the end of the month. It's out of the blue for me but what can I do? I really liked where I lived, the tight-knit community of the neighborhood, but if push comes to shove I've gotta take whatever's available and suitable, even if it's out of my current neighborhood.

I've been looking at the apartment ads, but not only have the lying ads gotten to me (I did a thread on that in "Renting"), but the ridiculous prices people are asking for. I saw one for $1000/mo which I thought was a good idea, until they said "utilities not included." I see some for $2000 for a closet-sized apartment with no utilities included, and I'm thinking "you've gotta be kidding me."

I'm frustrated, upset, and worried I'll be homeless if I don't find something soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 AM

196 posts, read 920,346 times
have you tried craigslist? that seems to be the most popular option. What neighborhood are you looking? $2000? sounds like Dupont Circle.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
If the only thing you can find in DC is $2,000 a month apartments then you simply aren't looking in the right places. I agree with talktobrent, try craigslist, LOTS of places listed there and at decent prices.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I suspect you might be picking up those glossy rental magazines. I'm not sure what's up with them, but they're always very expensive and only deal with huge rental companies.

You can expect to pay about $1000 for a studio - 1 bedroom not including utilities, depending. If that's outrageous, then yeah - you're screwed. That's just big city living, though.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You can expect to pay about $1000 for a studio - 1 bedroom not including utilities, depending. If that's outrageous, then yeah - you're screwed. That's just big city living, though.
Actually $1000 for studio/1br is a STEAL in DC and most upscale neighborhoods these days. It IS outrageous.

But if you don't mind rooming with 2-4 people, you can expect to pay about $550-$900 for your part of the rent... which you can find on craigslist. Especially in places like Silver Spring and Alexandria and NE/SE DC. Bethesda and Arlington and NW DC are going to be more expensive, of course.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 PM

People, trust me, CraigsList is my go-to place (I'm constantly telling people to go there), but there have been too many lying ads and overpriced things listed on there lately. I was paying about $1000/mo with everything included (including cable/wireless), a full kitchen and a W/D in unit, and I'll be lucky if I can get that again.

And as for rooming with others, I can't do that. After spending a year on my own with my own space, it'd be a hard adjustment to go back to roommates.

I put an "apartment wanted" ad on my community list serv as well and got one potential hit, so we'll see.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
I was planning on staying in my nice little apartment for another year, then considering relocating to another state. Unfortunately for me my landlords dropped news on me that they're leaving the country and that I have to find another place at the end of the month. It's out of the blue for me but what can I do? I really liked where I lived, the tight-knit community of the neighborhood, but if push comes to shove I've gotta take whatever's available and suitable, even if it's out of my current neighborhood.
Do you have a lease? And are your landlords selling the place due to their planned trip/move out of the country? If you have a lease and they are trying to break it unilaterally, you might have some recourse to stay for the remainder of your lease term. Also, if they are selling the place, as the current tenant, I believe you have a right of first refusal to purchase the place. Bottom line--DC has very tenant-friendly laws, so you want to make sure you are not being mistreated by your landlord.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

48 posts, read 184,355 times
Breakingfree, IIRC, aren't you in/around Brookland? I literally just saw this ad about two hours ago. It may be of interest to you. Yahoo! Groups

Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisat View Post
Breakingfree, IIRC, aren't you in/around Brookland? I literally just saw this ad about two hours ago. It may be of interest to you. Yahoo! Groups
Thank you for that!

I also got another hit from my list serv as well. If any of them goes well, I can kick back and go back to using CraigsList for laughs (Missed Connections and ridiculous personal ads, anyone?).

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
craigslist, also ads in the local CityPaper... and if you want (not for everyone) group housing is an option for cost (although you might not like the trade offs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC