Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

I have to have contacted dc water like 8 times by now for them to come out and fix the water meter on the street curb in front of my property.

I dont know how it got this way (perhaps the sidewalk work the city did or earthquake) but the entire underground tube/container has sunken deep into the ground (much lower than my neighbors) and shifted to a sharp slant where you cant access the shutoff valve. Furthermore the meter doesnt even work (red triangle dial does not spin) and water keeps leaking from somewhere and fills up the tank.

I called 2 plumbers who were on their hands and knees digging out gobs of mud from the tank as well as used a shopvac to suck up the muddy water and it just comes back after 20 min. They could not access the shutoff valve and refuse to go further because it would require them to dig around the tube to reposition it and they do not want to be liable and fined by dc water if something goes wrong.

IMO it not their or my responsibility to fix something that's not on my property and is connected to neighbors as well. If they break something dc water will surely be quick to point blame and fine (as they have admitted over the phone). Yet dc water keeps interrogating me and refuses to send someone out to fix this.

All I needed is for them to shutoff water from the meter outside my property so a plumber can fix the broken pipes inside my property. The problem seems much bigger now.

I am not sure what to do. I have called 311 and they are no help, of course the answer they give is that c water is outside their jurisdiction. I am afraid its going to get very cold and the pipes will burst outside and inside, it will be much harder to fix if the meter and ground freezes.

I do not know what to do at this point, I have called dc water so many times and had some guy named greg on their emergency line yelling at me and saying it's all my fault and my problem.

I've heard wssc will send someone out to shutoff the meter but dc water likes to push all responsibility to property tax and water bill paying customers.

If anyone has answers it would greatly appreciated, how do I solve a problem without going through the people I have a problem with?

Last edited by point2; 11-11-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC