Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

Level anacostia? What are you, smacked?

By the way, crime is not synonymous with poverty,
and since babylon owns the projects, they're the
main reason for its problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 05:38 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
Not soon enough and yet too soon for me.

Unlike everyone else it seems, I love the housing stock of Anacostia and most of SE DC. I love most of NE housing stock too. I can't afford NE and most of SE is too dangerous with amenity deserts. In that way, not soon enough.

With the skyrocketing housing costs of DC when anything positive happens and my rate of saving for a good down payment... too soon.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Level anacostia? What are you, smacked?

By the way, crime is not synonymous with poverty,
and since babylon owns the projects, they're the
main reason for its problems.
Crime is TOTALLY synonymous with poverty.

Wrong again.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:40 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Crime is TOTALLY synonymous with poverty.

Wrong again.

not always.....sometimes its greed (white collar crime, corporate crime) and just the human propensity to do evil ****te

Old 12-06-2015, 10:42 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The vast majority of DC's bad neighborhoods are being gentrified and gentrification has already started in the worst part of DC over the river where the city got its old "murder capital" name from.

But a large number of poor people over the river have already been removed to make room for new development. Public housing standards in areas with new development have also been changed so that "low income" means people making around 50K. In other words.. they are making sure the original residents they are removing have no way of coming back.

How long do you think it will be before the Anacostia area becomes as safe, desirable and high income as Dupont? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUGFprcgaI

anacostia has a different street grid pattern than Dupont.....dupont is at the intersection of multiple milti lane blvd style avenues....anacostia is a semi jumbled intersection of minnesota ave good hope rd and MLK ave......i was there last night....theres slow progress but its not even like H street yet....

Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
not always.....sometimes its greed (white collar crime, corporate crime) and just the human propensity to do evil ****te
True.

But no one can argue that poverty doesn't sometimes lead generally good people to engage in crime out of desperation, fear, etc. With white collar crime you only have people who are inherently immoral committing crimes. With poverty you have many GOOD people committing crimes because they have no other choice.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
anacostia has a different street grid pattern than Dupont.....dupont is at the intersection of multiple milti lane blvd style avenues....anacostia is a semi jumbled intersection of minnesota ave good hope rd and MLK ave......i was there last night....theres slow progress but its not even like H street yet....
You are taking my question too literally. I didn't mean Anacostia would ever look exactly like Dupont architecturally. I mean more along the lines of the class of people living there and the businesses that set up shop there.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:21 AM

769 posts, read 830,083 times
What exactly do these "working class" people who live in Anacostia do? There can't be that many drug dealers in DC Metro can there be? Most of Anacostia looks like Baltimore

Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
IMO, one win for the city would be to encourage downtown District offices and the WMATA HQ to relocate to Anacostia. This would encourage economic development in Anacostia, lower real estate costs for local public agencies and open up new opportunities for mixed-use residential development in the downtown core which is still too office dominated.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
What exactly do these "working class" people who live in Anacostia do? There can't be that many drug dealers in DC Metro can there be? Most of Anacostia looks like Baltimore

My guess is that Anacostia is basically a tale of 2 cities: lower density row house neighborhoods that account for the majority of land area, but a much smaller share of the population. These are mostly working/middle class homes for (mostly AA) government employees, contractors, non-profit workers etc.

Then you have the public and low income housing complexes which take up a small amount of land area, BUT have a disproportionate share of the areas population.

I assume this explains, why most of Anacostia (geographically) consists of quiet, well kept, reasonably prosperous residential streets, while the neighborhood as a whole is known for its poverty and violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: