Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times

Advertisements

Anacostia will never become another Dupont Circle for the same reasons Friendship Heights, Brookland, Palisades, or any other outer DC neighborhood will never become another Dupont Circle: location and architecture. The older close in DC neighborhoods have architecture, basically Victorian style row houses, you don't have in the outer neighborhoods. So no matter how much a neighborhood like Anacostia improved it will never have the same appearance and atmosphere as a Dupont Circle and therefore won't attract the same demographic. Now a neighborhood like Shaw and similar close in neighborhoods could conceivably become very similar to Dupont Circle or Georgetown in appearance and demographics. But the outer neighborhoods just don't have the appearance, atmosphere, density, etc., to attract the demographic that makes a neighborhood like Dupont Circle what it is. That's not to say that neighborhoods like Anacostia won't become much improved and sought after places to live. But it won't be the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 AM

92 posts, read 141,344 times
Historic Anacostia might attract some hipsters who will bring in some organic small plate type businesses, but that general area is not going to change much outside of the core. Pretty much everywhere south, east, and north of historic anacostia is straight hood. Barry Farms is still there for now , last i checked Birney place was still there, Howard rd, morris, stanton, pomeroy, etc are all hood. Points north also have little section 8 buildings everywhere.

Outside of downtown anacostia does not have a good housing stock and is not convenient or urban enough to attract gentrifier types anyway.

Wholesale change may eventually happen, but by that time most of the posters on this forum will be walking with a cane and playing bingo.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
Historic Anacostia might attract some hipsters who will bring in some organic small plate type businesses, but that general area is not going to change much outside of the core. Pretty much everywhere south, east, and north of historic anacostia is straight hood. Barry Farms is still there for now , last i checked Birney place was still there, Howard rd, morris, stanton, pomeroy, etc are all hood. Points north also have little section 8 buildings everywhere.

Outside of downtown anacostia does not have a good housing stock and is not convenient or urban enough to attract gentrifier types anyway.

Wholesale change may eventually happen, but by that time most of the posters on this forum will be walking with a cane and playing bingo.
Yep. And even if they replaced the projects and section 8 apartments with yuppie condos it still wouldn't be a Dupont Circle.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Anacostia will never become another Dupont Circle for the same reasons Friendship Heights, Brookland, Palisades, or any other outer DC neighborhood will never become another Dupont Circle: location and architecture. The older close in DC neighborhoods have architecture, basically Victorian style row houses, you don't have in the outer neighborhoods. So no matter how much a neighborhood like Anacostia improved it will never have the same appearance and atmosphere as a Dupont Circle and therefore won't attract the same demographic. Now a neighborhood like Shaw and similar close in neighborhoods could conceivably become very similar to Dupont Circle or Georgetown in appearance and demographics. But the outer neighborhoods just don't have the appearance, atmosphere, density, etc., to attract the demographic that makes a neighborhood like Dupont Circle what it is. That's not to say that neighborhoods like Anacostia won't become much improved and sought after places to live. But it won't be the same thing.
Again.. when I say "like" I mean similar.. not a carbon copy. So this response is silly.

Also anyone who says "never" when referring to the future loses all their credibility. There is no way for you or anyone else to know what will happen in DC 100, 300 or 900 years from now.

When you say "never" you sound dumb.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:21 AM

The question you asked is "How long before Anacostia looks like K street or Dupont"? The operative words being "looks like". As for looking like K St. I guess it would be possible to build some typical boxy DC mid-rises along MLK Ave. that would give the area a physical resemblance. But Dupont Circle is another matter. The existing housing in Anacostia, much of which is pretty good, would have to be torn down and replaced with exact replicas of the century old Victorian houses of the Dupont area. And this just ain't going to happen. Remember, your question was how long before Anacostia "looks" like Dupont. Which is actually a pretty silly question. It's like asking how long before Springfield, Va. looks like Old Town Alexandria. Or Levittown, N.Y. looks like the Upper West Side. A ridiculous premise.

Last edited by r small; 12-10-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 07:42 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
The question you asked is "How long before Anacostia looks like K street or Dupont"? The operative words being "looks like". As for looking like K St. I guess it would be possible to build some typical boxy DC mid-rises along MLK Ave. that would give the area a physical resemblance. But Dupont Circle is another matter. The existing housing in Anacostia, much of which is pretty good, would have to be torn down and replaced with exact replicas of the century old Victorian houses of the Dupont area. And this just ain't going to happen. Remember, your question was how long before Anacostia "looks" like Dupont. Which is actually a pretty silly question. It's like asking how long before Springfield, Va. looks like Old Town Alexandria. Or Levittown, N.Y. looks like the Upper West Side. A ridiculous premise. You strike me as someone who doesn't know DC very well.
Repped. Agreed with every single sentence on this post. Aside from the projects and section 8 red brick and garden apartments, much of Historic Anacostia has a fairly good housing stock of early 20th century craftsmanship along with some new apartment buildings near the Anacostia Metro station near the Barry Farms neighborhood boundary. If people wanna tear down those older apartments, perhaps they could be replaced with the kind of large and beautifully colorful townhouses that have been going up in Navy Yard and the new "Waterfront Station" neighborhood. It'll definitely match the old character and historic fabric of Anacostia while also giving it a sense of contemporary newness without sacrificing its historic fabric and old school small-town aesthetic I like the thought of Anacostia being more like Brookland or Takoma in the future, even more so than Dupont or the K Street Corridor (Ughh...God forbid).

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Repped. Agreed with every single sentence on this post. Aside from the projects and section 8 red brick and garden apartments, much of Historic Anacostia has a fairly good housing stock of early 20th century craftsmanship along with some new apartment buildings near the Anacostia Metro station near the Barry Farms neighborhood boundary. If people wanna tear down those older apartments, perhaps they could be replaced with the kind of large and beautifully colorful townhouses that have been going up in Navy Yard and the new "Waterfront Station" neighborhood. It'll definitely match the old character and historic fabric of Anacostia while also giving it a sense of contemporary newness without sacrificing its historic fabric and old school small-town aesthetic I like the thought of Anacostia being more like Brookland or Takoma in the future, even more so than Dupont or the K Street Corridor (Ughh...God forbid).
tcave360 you know the city well. Maybe better than I do. I've lived in and around DC for 65 years and am familiar with practically every neighborhood in the city. But I don't get around as much as I used to so I'm not real familiar with a lot of the more recent development.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The question you asked is "How long before Anacostia looks like K street or Dupont"? The operative words being "looks like". As for looking like K St. I guess it would be possible to build some typical boxy DC mid-rises along MLK Ave. that would give the area a physical resemblance. But Dupont Circle is another matter. The existing housing in Anacostia, much of which is pretty good, would have to be torn down and replaced with exact replicas of the century old Victorian houses of the Dupont area. And this just ain't going to happen. Remember, your question was how long before Anacostia "looks" like Dupont. Which is actually a pretty silly question. It's like asking how long before Springfield, Va. looks like Old Town Alexandria. Or Levittown, N.Y. looks like the Upper West Side. A ridiculous premise.
BUT I clarified later in the thread that I was talking more about the people and businesses of the area and less about the architecture. So once again you are wrong.

This is what happens when people respond to threads without reading all the replies first.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
BUT I clarified later in the thread that I was talking more about the people and businesses of the area and less about the architecture. So once again you are wrong.

This is what happens when people respond to threads without reading all the replies first.
Maybe your question was poorly worded.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe your question was poorly worded.
It was.

I clarified everything later in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: