Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Floridian, so I've experienced colder weather before but not snow or any harsh conditions in winter.
What can I expect when visiting in February? Do you guys have crazy snow storms that time of year or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 PM

137 posts, read 252,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
What can I expect when visiting in February? Do you guys have crazy snow storms that time of year or anything?
As for snow, you can't predict it at all this far away but there's a better chance you won't see any than you will.

As for temps, it's mid-December and it was 70 degrees here today. It could be in the 30s in a few days. Basically, just pack a good jacket and keep an eye on the forecast a few days in advance. Not really much else you can do.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:17 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
It will be cold. Very cold. Pack a winter jacket, it's the coldest month in DC.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
If the temperatures are in the lower 30s or 20s or below, as it often is in February, you'll need stuff you may not even own if you live in Florida. A heavy weather jacket, a sweater or lighter jacket to layer under the jacket, gloves, some kind of cap that covers your ears. Don't make the rookie mistake I often see from people from warmer climates who just wear a heavy jacket but don't have anything covering their head and then complain about how cold it is. Dressing for temperatures under the freezing point is a totally different animal than dressing for the coldest days in Florida. When it's freezing good head protection is as important as a good jacket. Or it could be in the 40s and not that much colder than Florida.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 PM

22 posts, read 23,328 times
Quote:
I'm a native Floridian, so I've experienced colder weather before but not snow or any harsh conditions in winter.
I'm sorry to say this but you do not know cold. Try negative degree temperatures.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
As another poster said, February is the coldest month in DC. Expect highs around 30 degrees and lows around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the average. However, it can vary widely. It can go as low as -10 and as high as 50 in February.

Just check the weather here the week before you come. Then go buy a jacket that fits the temperature (if you can find one in Florida).

Here is the clothing you will need:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6f752a11a5.jpg

Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Yes. February is often our worst month for weather and snow. Dress WARM.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:05 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
What week? The second/third weeks of February are like our snowiest time of the year.

My birthday is February 11 and it snows every single year the week of my bday.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,474 times
The average high temp in DC in Feb is 47 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
As another poster said, February is the coldest month in DC. Expect highs around 30 degrees and lows around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the average. However, it can vary widely. It can go as low as -10 and as high as 50 in February.

Just check the weather here the week before you come. Then go buy a jacket that fits the temperature (if you can find one in Florida).

Here is the clothing you will need:

[URL]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0f/28/e9/0f28e99c8fdf381da7737d6f752a11a5.jpg[/URL]

Old 12-16-2015, 02:40 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Charm Style View Post
The average high temp in DC in Feb is 47 degrees.
Finally, a voice of reason!

OP - it can be cold in February, and the last few have been bitter. But, by and large it's far from brutal. As other posters have recommended, just bring warm clothing to layer.

And for the record, historically January is DC's coldest month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: