Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi2728 View Post
Hello all. This forum was helpful to me during another move so I figured I'd reach out and try again for an upcoming move. This summer we'll be moving to DC for work--I'll be working near Chinatown and my wife will be working near GWU but only two days a week (she'll be pursuing a master degree online, from home, during the other days). We're in our mid to late 20s.

We're split between living in Clarendon and near Logan Circle. We like having some space, as we'll be getting a dog and are recently married. We also like to be close to good restaurants and bars (I tend to like places with a good beer selection...you could call me a beer nerd a bit, I guess... ). We don't mind a moderate commute to work (it'll have to be on the Metro, bus, or walking as we won't be able to drive to work).

Any advice on which area would be better for us? I've never been to Clarendon but I've heard good things and I like that we'd get more space for our money. But, Logan Circle seems close to a ton of bars and restaurants. I also don't know how long the commute would be or how easy it is to get into DC from Clarendon. And finally, what types of bars and restaurants there are in Clarendon.

Thanks in advance!

I would never move to Clarendon as a married couple. Clarendon is pretty much for the single young to mid 20's crowd who still like to party. Logan Circle is very nice and clean with some great restaurants on 14th Street. Plus, it would be a much better place to walk a dog. Logan Circle all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 13,267 times
Default Welcome to the neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi2728 View Post
... We're in our mid to late 20s.

...We like having some space, as we'll be getting a dog and are recently married. We also like to be close to good restaurants and bars (I tend to like places with a good beer selection...you could call me a beer nerd a bit, I guess... ). We don't mind a moderate commute to work (it'll have to be on the Metro, bus, or walking as we won't be able to drive to work).

Any advice on which area would be better for us?
I'm sure someone has asked, but what's your price range for buying/renting?

As someone who has lived in both Logan Circle and Clarendon: If money isn't an issue, I'd say Clarendon seems to fit your needs better. While both neighborhoods are extremely expensive, you get a lot more space for the price in Arlington/Clarendon. Here's a breakdown:

Dogs: Logan Circ has the dog park and plenty of other parks you can walk to, but I'd say it's not exactly safe to be in the circle after a certain hour of night. Both Clarendon and Logan have loads of dog owners who are out a lot, though so there's safety in numbers. Every place has its dangers, but I think you'll end up having more space and a little more safety in Clarendon (if that's a concern).

Beer: As a fellow beer geek, you really can't go wrong with either. DC certainly has a higher concentrations of bars and restaurants and everything, but Clarendon isn't some podunk suburb--there's plenty of great beer bars and restaurants and honestly, with Uber/Lyft the whole DC metro is easily accessible.

Commute: the commute from Clarendon is bike-able depending on where in the city you're going. My husband used to bike almost everyday over the key bridge and through georgetown. I took the metro which was pretty fast when there wasn't a fire or someone throwing themselves on the tracks. But if a quick commute is important for your sanity you might want to stick in the city where you can walk or bike quickly to work.

All of this said, there's tons of other neighborhoods in DC besides tiny little logan circle that sounds like it might fit your needs. Someone else said Dupont Circle-- I agree it's a great neighborhood if you can afford it. Also, the H-street/Atlas neighborhood has tons of great restaurants and bars.

PS Recommendations: Galaxy Hut for beer, check out Westover Market in Arlington, Whitlow on Wilson's brunch is pretty awesome, Pho 75 in Arlington is the best. In Logan Churchkey great for beer selection.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
I agree with the general consensus: Both are pretty walkable and have lots of restaurants. But, Clarendon is a little more suburban and cookie-cutter. Logan is more organically urban.

I feel like one factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is the street crime issue in DC. Talking about crime is always controversial. Some posters like to dismiss crime concerns in the District, and while they can be overhyped, they can't be dismissed entirely. The fact of the matter is you are far more likely to be mugged in Logan than in Clarendon. Logan isn't an "unsafe neighborhood", but you are at an elevated risk for be victimized than you are in Arlington.

Logan Circle is a generally safe neighborhood with little in the way of murder,shootings, gang hot spots, etc. But, the side streets are pretty quiet at night and muggings and burglaries are not uncommon. Now, you can generally minimize your risks by using "street smarts" and avoiding problematic areas (especially at night).

I lived near Logan until very recently, so clearly the crime didn't dissuade me. The pros outweighed the cons. But, the crime was a nuisance and I was a lot more cautious at night than I was when I lived in Arlington back in the day. I wouldn't let it dissuade you. But, it is a factor you do need to be aware off.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:31 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I agree with the general consensus: Both are pretty walkable and have lots of restaurants. But, Clarendon is a little more suburban and cookie-cutter. Logan is more organically urban.
That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Go a few blocks away from Logan Circle and there's more city, for better or for worse. A few blocks from Clarendon are detached suburban houses. If a dog park is a priority, choose Clarendon. If urban exploration is a priority, choose DC. (If you've tired of the beer list at ChurchKey, walk a few minutes over to Black Jack or Garden District or Right Proper or Lost & Found or A&D or Maddy's.)

(Not sure why so many threads here get so heated so quickly...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: