Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:26 PM

11 posts, read 17,393 times

Advertisements

Hello all. This forum was helpful to me during another move so I figured I'd reach out and try again for an upcoming move. This summer we'll be moving to DC for work--I'll be working near Chinatown and my wife will be working near GWU but only two days a week (she'll be pursuing a master degree online, from home, during the other days). We're in our mid to late 20s.

We're split between living in Clarendon and near Logan Circle. We like having some space, as we'll be getting a dog and are recently married. We also like to be close to good restaurants and bars (I tend to like places with a good beer selection...you could call me a beer nerd a bit, I guess... ). We don't mind a moderate commute to work (it'll have to be on the Metro, bus, or walking as we won't be able to drive to work).

Any advice on which area would be better for us? I've never been to Clarendon but I've heard good things and I like that we'd get more space for our money. But, Logan Circle seems close to a ton of bars and restaurants. I also don't know how long the commute would be or how easy it is to get into DC from Clarendon. And finally, what types of bars and restaurants there are in Clarendon.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:38 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi2728 View Post
Hello all. This forum was helpful to me during another move so I figured I'd reach out and try again for an upcoming move. This summer we'll be moving to DC for work--I'll be working near Chinatown and my wife will be working near GWU but only two days a week (she'll be pursuing a master degree online, from home, during the other days). We're in our mid to late 20s.

We're split between living in Clarendon and near Logan Circle. We like having some space, as we'll be getting a dog and are recently married. We also like to be close to good restaurants and bars (I tend to like places with a good beer selection...you could call me a beer nerd a bit, I guess... ). We don't mind a moderate commute to work (it'll have to be on the Metro, bus, or walking as we won't be able to drive to work).

Any advice on which area would be better for us? I've never been to Clarendon but I've heard good things and I like that we'd get more space for our money. But, Logan Circle seems close to a ton of bars and restaurants. I also don't know how long the commute would be or how easy it is to get into DC from Clarendon. And finally, what types of bars and restaurants there are in Clarendon.

Thanks in advance!
I think ultimately, this comes down to whether you prefer living in the city or the suburbs. Clarendon is a nice little transit oriented development surrounding a metro station, but its not the city. I think you should come visit and get a feel for what the city is like versus the suburbs. From Logan Circle, you both could walk to work. The metro ride wouldn't be long for Clarendon, probably 10-15 minutes.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
If your budget allows for Logan Circle, do it. Why subject yourself to a longer commute if you don't have to? I don't think there's anything special about the nightlife in Clarendon. It has way less stuff than Logan Circle. If you are really into going out to bars and restaurants I think you will tire of going to the same places in Arlington very quickly, and will find yourself frequently heading into DC as it has so much more to offer on the nightlife front. Might as well just live in DC. Getting a place with enough space for you and your dog might be more expensive in Logan Circle than Clarendon but maybe not as expensive as it initially appears when you consider all the cab rides and Metro rides into the city you won't have to take.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:01 AM

37 posts, read 41,925 times
I agree with stateofnature. Logan Circle would definitely get my vote for reasons listed above.
And, if you can afford it, look into the Dupont Circle area.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
It's very easy to get into DC from Clarendon. When I'm lazy and don't feel like going up and down escalators (the train), I just take the 38B bus which goes into Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and Farragut Square. I also bike a lot to downtown and it's only like a 20 minute bike ride.

Everyone on here is going to tell you DC's bar and food scene is so superior. But it's not (actually, a lot of the bars/restaurants on 14th Street have sister bars/restaurants in Arlington). I'm a beer nerd myself and have been to like 50+ bars between DC, Arlington, and Alexandria. Galaxy Hut in Clarendon is in my top 5 for bars. Their beer selection is awesome, atmosphere is great, and the drunk food is just as good (most hipster bar in Clarendon). Don Tito's in Clarendon has one of the best rooftops in the entire DC area, although it has more of a douchebag scene that takes some strong drinks to deal with. Whitlow's on Wilson has a very solid brunch and one of the best happy hours in the entire DC area. Northside Social is an awesome outdoor café where you can sip on wine on a nice day or have a pastry. There are a zillion other bars/restaurants in Clarendon so this is by no means exhaustive. Also, Clarendon probably has the nicest dog park on the face of planet earth and is within walking distance of three grocery stores (Giant, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes).

Please don't underestimate the fact that Logan Circle is like a 15 minute walk from a Metro Station. It sounds like you don't have a car, so that would be a major inconvenience. Yes there are buses, but buses won't get you to Tysons Corner or the Airport. Don't get me wrong, Logan Circle has a lot of great amenities/bars/restaurants itself but if I didn't have a car, I would never live more than 10 minutes from a Metro Station.

Take everyone else's opinion of Arlington with a grain of salt. I'm convinced most of them have hardly been over here -- a lot of them seem to think all of North Arlington is "Clarendon." Clearly they don't know the hoods very well.

Also, Chinatown has my favorite bar in the area right now FYI. Jackpot on 7th Street is every beer nerd's fantasy. You will have to go there for happy hour a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I don't think there's anything special about the nightlife in Clarendon. It has way less stuff than Logan Circle.

Do please tell.

Last edited by gomason; 12-22-2015 at 07:04 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM

What do you mean "do please tell"? What is there to say? I said Clarendon has way less stuff than Logan Circle. That's a fact. Not only are there far more bar/restaurant options in Logan Circle due to 14th St, it also is in close proximity to way more stuff by virtue of being closer to Adams Morgan, U St, Dupont, etc.
It's fine if you prefer Arlington nightlife to DC - in my opinion that's a completely laughable statement, but hey your opinion is your opinion, you're welcome to it. Nightlife is totally subjective. But most people seem to prefer DC, as shown by how much more crowded 14th St, U St, and Adams Morgan are at night compared to any nightlife district in Arlington. Popularity doesn't mean "better," but it does mean that if the OP wants a lot of nightlife odds are he is going to prefer DC.

And I lived in Arlington for several years and still go there frequently (against my will, usually), so don't try to tell me I don't know the area. Just deal with the fact that many many other people don't share your opinion that Arlington is so great.
I completely accept that many people hate DC and think the burbs are superior. It's good news for me when that happens. Please stick to the boring burbs and keep my rent down.

Last edited by stateofnature; 12-22-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 03:52 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Arlington's bar and nightlife scene cannot compare with DC - DC is far far superior, be it Clarendon vs Logan Circle or Arlington vs DC.

Food it depends, but as far as brunch, modern 'American' cuisine and in general upscale restaurants are concerned, again DC is much better.

Ethnic food, the suburbs kick the sh** out of DC.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
If you have to ask this type of question, the the answer is Clarendon

Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
What do you mean "do please tell"? What is there to say? I said Clarendon has way less stuff than Logan Circle. That's a fact. Not only are there far more bar/restaurant options in Logan Circle due to 14th St, it also is in close proximity to way more stuff by virtue of being closer to Adams Morgan, U St, Dupont, etc.

But most people seem to prefer DC, as shown by how much more crowded 14th St, U St, and Adams Morgan are at night compared to any nightlife district in Arlington. Popularity doesn't mean "better," but it does mean that if the OP wants a lot of nightlife odds are he is going to prefer DC.
I meant say something substantive and dont use meaningless filler words like "stuff." I will stick to the facts: a quick Yelp search found like 20 bars and restaurants in Logan Circle. I think there is a couple more in Clarendon but regardless there is zero evidence for your claim that "Logan Circle has way more bars and restaurants." That's just a boldface lie but feel free to provide ANY evidence for your claim. Also, Arlington is very close to Foggy Bottom and Georgetown too if you want to go down that slippery slope which you conveniently ignored.

I hang out in both Clarendon and 14th Street/U Street a lot. I really dont think that 14th/U is way more crowded but I guess thats subjective and theres no way to measure that.

I dont think "Arlington is so superior." As I said originally, I dont think DC is so superior either like you are claiming.

If I was intellectually insecure like you I would end with a snide remark like, "enjoy your closet while I enjoy my much more spacious apartment" but I wont...

Lastly, there is nothing suburban about Clarendon. Feel free to provide ANY evidence like density numbers to actually provide evidence. Or just continue lying or being very ignorant.

FYI, by your reasoning, Waterfront and Navy Yard are rural cow pastures right?

Last edited by gomason; 12-25-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 AM

LOL, I guess somebody didn't have a merry Christmas? There's really no need to resort to personal attacks like calling me insecure. Are you mad I called where you live "boring"? Well I do indeed think Arlington is boring but that's not a personal attack. I actually have several good friends who live in Arlington. My opinion on their town has no effect on my view of them as people.

I'm only responding to this because I think this information might be useful to the OP when trying to decide between Logan Circle and Clarendon and which would better fit his/her lifestyle. No, it's not at all a "lie" to say that Logan Circle has way more nightlife than Clarendon. It's a fact. It took me two seconds to search on Yelp to find 299 results under the Nightlife category within 1 mile walking radius of Logan Circle, compared to only 41 within 1 mile walking radius of Clarendon.

Nightlife Arlington

Nightlife Logan Circle, Washington, DC

Please don't be pedantic and say "but those results include places that aren't technically in the neighborhood of Logan Circle!" People who want to live in cities generally care about what is within walking distance. You don't care if you pass over arbitrary neighborhood lines as long as it's not a far walk.

This is exactly what one would expect given that Logan Circle is one of the densest neighborhoods in a pretty dense city, DC, while Clarendon is one of the densest parts of a city that is less dense than DC, Arlington.

NOTHING suburban about Clarendon? LOL thanks for the laugh. There's plenty suburban about Clarendon. I would call it an urban/suburban mix. You can be literally steps away from Wilson Blvd and find detached single family homes with yards: https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...bfcb081e3c997a

There's nothing like that within walking distance of Logan Circle. It's far more urban development. That might not matter to you, but you shouldn't be surprised that for some people Clarendon is not to their tastes and they prefer something more urban.

If you're going to call people "ignorant" you're going to need to do better than arguments that can be debunked in about five seconds of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: