Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the stuff im saying very much matters because history matters, esp when making claims about who and what ruined big cities in the first foccccking place.

and math also matters. 100 years ago was 1915....what i speak of didnt start until roughly 1960 which is only 55 years ago.

and a college educated black person who tries to rent a room in anypart of DC thats not the far SE runs into the same housing discrimination they ran into in white suburbs for years (this forum proves the existence of these atitudes) youd be surprised howmany educated professional blacks are living in a studio out in suitland landover or hyattsville somewhere.

gentrification can easily be used as indirect non violent ethnic cleansing so i do understand how it works.
False.

There are many, many, many middle class blacks living in nice DC neighborhoods. Lots and lots. And I know many of them. At this point you just sound uneducated and you are losing credibility fast. I am talking about what is true TODAY in 2015 and nothing more. I'm not talking about 5 years ago, or 10 years ago or 50 years ago. I am only talking about today. TODAY in 2015, gentification is not racist. Period.

For some education, read the quote below from DistricSonic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
People forget that many white people moved out of cities percisely because crime skyrocketed in many areas, and so did many black people. Much of flight was a direct result of the violent crime that comes with increased urban poverty. We had a terrible policy of warehousing the poor in cities, and as a result many people left. This "Affordable" low income housing remained a blight on cities, largely because what comes with it is a significant increase in crime. Anything that leaves out the high crime that low income people brought in the flight narrative is an inherently false narrative. To say it was racism alone is being ignorant and in denial of what was going on.

Gentrification is the direct result of things being market based. Gentrification would not happen to the same extent otherwise, especially in DC. Real estate agents have to show all properties based on a persons budget and criteria, and any steering has to be directed by the person who is buying. This is why in a housing market like DC gentrification is going to happen, real estate agents have been sued over steering white people away from black neighborhoods, and lost. Because it's ILLEGAL.

Like it or not getting so hung up about the past is not going to help...gentrification is going to happen. Because those same non-discrimination provisions in many ways fuel gentrification. They are a double edged knife. It cuts both ways. When a market acts in a non-discriminatory matter, it is those who are best financed which win out. That's it. Gentrification then is not racial at all, but rather economic, it is the direct result of the housing market acting in a non-discriminatory fashion. Where racial boundaries are not respected, and money flowing based purely on other factors. Like it or not this means many "historically black neighborhoods" are not going to black anymore. On the flip side, the same will happen with white suburban neighborhoods. When the market acts in a non-discriminatory factor, this means change is more rapid in neighborhoods everywhere, as market factors decide based more under this financially based rubric instead of an enforced demographic one. Money, and money alone controls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
False.

There are many, many, many middle class blacks living in nice DC neighborhoods. Lots and lots. And I know many of them. At this point you just sound uneducated and you are losing credibility fast. I am talking about what is true TODAY in 2015 and nothing more. I'm not talking about 5 years ago, or 10 years ago or 50 years ago. I am only talking about today. TODAY in 2015, gentification is not racist. Period.

Exactly and this is very true as I was just sitting next to one of them at my home over Christmas dinner. A cousin of mine moved INTO a decent area in LeDroit Park this year from the suburbs, with college degree middle class income and all.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:04 PM

373 posts, read 368,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Gentrification is a wonderful thing. I wish more cities would bulldoze ghettos and build new stuff, move people who care about the community in
It is not that they do not care but, are on restricted income. Cities have been too busy expanding outwards and letting the core waste away instead of investing city core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Gentrification is racist!
I wouldn't say it is racist. It provides an alternative to those that cannot afford to fix up their property to help raise property value and improve the appearance of the neighborhood. Gives residents a chance to get better bang for their buck away from the urban core. You can say they are running poor residents away but, before the poor moved in the rich moved out. Now the rich is back.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Where are these displaced residents move to?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:02 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Gentrification is basically doing the dirty work that most are afraid to do. Gentrification and commercializing is what ruins neighborhoods and attracts transplants who dont care about the neighborhood in which they move to because its not their home.

Gentrification also closes down shops cause bearded hipster boy from Ohio is used to Pizza Hut, as an example if I were in the Bronx I would want a slice a pizza you could only get in the Bronx, I can go to Pizza Hut anywhere, gentrification kills the soul of the neighbirhoods, the shops, the entreprenuerial small business owners.

Gentrification is also for wimps, 15-20 years ago most of you wouldnt have the guts to live where you are living now, someone else had to clean it up for you which tells me all I need to know about gentrifiers.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
False.

first off i wanna see proof that whites were steered from black neighborhoods...lets start there....

DC has a strong black bourgeoisie I wont deny that but its not a new phenom theyve been there long LONG before most gentrifiers even knew what and where DC was. But youd be surprised how many of the black professionals in DC are hiding out in maryland somewhere.

Gentrification at its core is heavily CLASSIST but think about it: loads of the urban poor are people of color. In the eyes of the elite their on the undesirables list. First they were abandoned in the city for reasons we dont need to discuss. Now elites wanna live in the city. At first it may start off accidental but once certain real estate developers shot callers and govt officials saw how raising rents ultimately drove out a group of people they werent fond of well......what did YOU think was gonna happen?

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:

Since u wanna go solely based on class, the urban poor didnt ruin the city. Rowdy trashy residents at worse just made an already bad situation worse. the creation of the slums, disinvestment serial neglect REDLINING and all those other things killed these cities. The real estate shotcallers abandoned the city and the govt used the city as a dumping ground for all the poor people other districts didnt wanna deal with. Poor people didnt enact those policies; real estate and govt officials did that. SO now those same entitites suddenly see demand for city living has increased from the wealthy so OF COURSE theyre gonna pull all the strings and build anything and everything to make them comfortable and use gentrification to drive out a class of people they once warehoused in the city.

I reference the past because early in the thread someone brought up the past. I feel if u bring up the past least tell the facts ALL the facts....

Old 12-27-2015, 05:03 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven 1 View Post
gentrification is also for wimps, 15-20 years ago most of you wouldnt have the guts to live where you are living now, someone else had to clean it up for you which tells me all i need to know about gentrifiers.

this!!!! ^^^^^^^

Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Gentrification should be for the betterment of everyone in the community, living in a diverse neighborhood allows one to be more open to different ethnic backgrounds, get to try their culinary dishes.

Keeping the criminal element out is the trick but if a family is deeply rooted inside a community they should be allowed to remain in a housing option thats affordable.

Being rich doesnt mean you have class, New Jersey Housewives series is a good example of that, white trash with money.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Conspiracy theories and reality television, and no clue of what causes gentrification. What a perfect representation of the urban underclass. Gentrification is an effect of urban reinvestment. It's not a cause, it is an effect. When money and jobs begin to flow into cities again. It is a side effect. Like it or not those with money and jobs displace those with neither. This is a market based economy, and land has value in proximity. If one has capital, they can in effect purchase. The effect on the market, especially the fee simple market is pretty simple. Housing goes up in price as demand increases. If demand is high, things get more expensive. If the demand was not there, we would have a situation like much of the rust belt, prices drop.

Like it or not, renters are transient by the very fact they do not own. Neighborhoods change, and the only way to be deeply rooted is to purchase and pay taxes. Renting does not imply ownership, and it doesn't matter what type of housing it is.
Do you know what rational adults do when they can no longer afford housing, they move someplace else. But I have yet to see anybody on the "affordable" low income housing or anti-gentrification set come off as rational adults.

Instead we get conspiracy theories, and reality tv....

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 12-27-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
first off i wanna see proof that whites were steered from black neighborhoods...lets start there....

DC has a strong black bourgeoisie I wont deny that but its not a new phenom theyve been there long LONG before most gentrifiers even knew what and where DC was. But youd be surprised how many of the black professionals in DC are hiding out in maryland somewhere.

Gentrification at its core is heavily CLASSIST but think about it: loads of the urban poor are people of color. In the eyes of the elite their on the undesirables list. First they were abandoned in the city for reasons we dont need to discuss. Now elites wanna live in the city. At first it may start off accidental but once certain real estate developers shot callers and govt officials saw how raising rents ultimately drove out a group of people they werent fond of well......what did YOU think was gonna happen?

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:

Since u wanna go solely based on class, the urban poor didnt ruin the city. Rowdy trashy residents at worse just made an already bad situation worse. the creation of the slums, disinvestment serial neglect REDLINING and all those other things killed these cities. The real estate shotcallers abandoned the city and the govt used the city as a dumping ground for all the poor people other districts didnt wanna deal with. Poor people didnt enact those policies; real estate and govt officials did that. SO now those same entitites suddenly see demand for city living has increased from the wealthy so OF COURSE theyre gonna pull all the strings and build anything and everything to make them comfortable and use gentrification to drive out a class of people they once warehoused in the city.

I reference the past because early in the thread someone brought up the past. I feel if u bring up the past least tell the facts ALL the facts....
No one is disagreeing with this. Rich people not wanting to live around poor people is nothing new and will never change. No one is shocked that a rich person doesn't want to be BFF's with a panhandler on the corner. Why would they?

And of course the demand from the upper class to live in city urban cores has lead to re-investment in cities. The rich bring tax dollars and they spend their $$$ on expensive consumer goods. So of course everyone wants to accommodate them. The poor are viewed as bringing crime, noise, trash, low culture and little else. So of course no one cares about them because they are not viewed as contributing anything positive.

Nothing you are saying is new. Everyone knows this and has known this for a long time lol. My only point to YOU is that it has less to do with race than you make it sound. Gentification is not racist. People care about who has $$$, education and class more than they care about skin color. At least compared to the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: