Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,208 times

Advertisements

I don't think $170k in DC is the same as $130k in Pittsburgh. I think you'll need more money to have the same lifestyle. You can find somewhere for $300k in Beltsville, but if you're going to be traveling all over the DMV, you may want to rethink living out there. As other posters commented, traffic is awful and even train rides can take a long time if you're crossing all over the area. You may want to live somewhere more central, which will also cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskygreenleaves View Post
I am considering a job offer in D.C. and I have a few questions about cost of living and the area in general.

Standard of living:

My wife and I have a combined salary in Pittsburgh of approx. $130K. From my speculative offer and adjust for what I see for averages in D.C. of her position I estimate our combined income in D.C. would fall around $170K. I'm aware that the cost of living in D.C. is significantly higher (1.3-1.6X from what I've been able to gather). I've also noticed housing prices are much higher - I think we would have to pay around $300K for something similar to what we have now at $175K. I feel that we can at least maintain our standard of living, but she's more concerned about it (she hasn't begun job searching in D.C. yet).

What areas to live?

Calverton and Beltsville are the only two I've researched. My job will require commuting to and around the D.C. area on occasion (not everyday) and her job will be in healthcare, so we will want an area with ease of commute to hospitals as well. Neither one of us are strangers to 45-60 minute commutes. Of course the less the better. Neither one of us has really ever used public transit.

Intangibles:

My wife and I both like Pittsburgh and she's not crazy about moving, but professionally for me it can open up some possibilities. That said, the last thing I want is her to be miserable there and hear about it everyday. We are each in our early 30's, and really more accustomed to quiet nights in the house together, so nightlife won't be a factor in our decision. But general livability, comfort, and having a nice/safe area to walk the dog around is important to us, ideally with commutes that don't exceed and hour. We live in a large community of townhomes now that we really like.

I appreciate all feedback in advance!
If you and your wife both love Pittsburgh, then don't move here. I'm telling you, the money isn't worth it at early 30's.

You guys have something better.

UNLESS, if you want to try to tackle this beast, and that's what you guy's desire. This beast in DC is hard to understand, or tame. And it's been like that for 100's of years.

Oh wait. So, you can find renovated houses in Capitol hills, Eastern Market, and Little above H street.

That's where I would look. I do wish Foggy bottom had better development. That and the Waterfront.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:05 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
DC is like the Hotel California.

You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave.

You have been warned.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:40 AM

79 posts, read 97,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
DC is like the Hotel California.

You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave.

You have been warned.
Well.. that part is like Hotel California. All the good stuff about that song is unfortunately non-applicable.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
You can live comfortably on $170k a year in DC. As in all places, you will need to accommodate what DC has to offer, but that is more robust than your residential options in Pittsburgh. I think your wife will find DC an enjoyable place to live. There are lots of options.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
I was contemplating the Pittsburgh to DC move several months ago, and ultimately decided against it. Our combined income was going to increase by roughly 35K, but our sub-400k house would cost over a million in the District.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
You'd be best off posting in the Suburban Maryland forum. In particular, take a look at "old" Greenbelt, Maryland -- a comfortable, large community of townhouses, miles of trails for the dog, a few shops within walking distance, just down the road from Calverton, on the Beltway and the BW Parkway. Plus, it's cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Odds are she would work somewhere in DC or Virginia as Maryland has very few hospitals. Driving to Pittsburgh from VA will add like 5 minutes to your drive to Pittsburgh.
Depends on when you hit the traffic... also, Maryland probably has more medicine and life science jobs than Virginia, and MoCo has several large hospitals (Adventist, Holy Cross, NIH/Walter Reed, Suburban). Plus, it's probably easier to get to Washington Hospital Center or GW Hospital from suburban Maryland than from most of suburban Virginia. Granted, most of Maryland's hospital beds are in Baltimore due to Hopkins and UMd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: