Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 PM

142 posts, read 249,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You clearly do not live in DC and did not read my post. I do not want a penny of my income tax, or property tax going through Annapolis or Virginia. Not one penny. I am not going to see my local tax dollars subsidize some rural parts of Maryland, or for that matter Baltimore.

No DC resident will agree to this.

Hell no.

You don't get this, anybody who even suggests DC goes back in Maryland or Virginia simply does not get this. It's not just about representation, it's more so about full budgetary autonomy. This is why for those of us in DC it's statehood and only statehood, which is acceptable.
There were three lines in that post. Your reply reads as though you only read the first two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
I would rather see the original boundaries of DC restored, with the old Alexandria County made part of DC. DC would be a nice square again, with a population near or over a million, and the Republicans might support it, as it would pull a lot of Democrats out of VA.

In addition, there are a lot of people in Arlington who like to call it "urban," and this would give them more credibility.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 AM

79 posts, read 97,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I would rather see the original boundaries of DC restored, with the old Alexandria County made part of DC. DC would be a nice square again, with a population near or over a million, and the Republicans might support it, as it would pull a lot of Democrats out of VA.

In addition, there are a lot of people in Arlington who like to call it "urban," and this would give them more credibility.
Considering the population densities of the 3 original areas that comprised DC:
1) Arlington: 8,819/sq mi
2) Alexandria: 10,038/sq mi
3) DC: 11,011/sq mi

I don't think there's any argument saying that the original Virginia areas of the district aren't urban.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:46 AM

And just to add some fuel to the "is it urban or not" fire, here are a some "real" cities with lower population densities than the combined Arlington/Alexandria areas (380K pop with 9265/sq mile density), in no particular order:
Charleston, SC
Kansas City
Nashville
Salt Lake
Orlando
Charlotte
Austin
Phoenix
San Antonio
Albuquerque
- Above all under 3K/sq mi
Tampa
Richmond
Houston
Dallas
Columbus
Cincinnati
Denver
- Above all under 4K/sq mi
Portland
Sacramento
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Honolulu
Milwuake
Minneapolis
Baltimore
Los Angeles
- Above all below ALX/Arlington combo

Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM

And because I love metrics so much, here's a list of "real" cities that would have both a lower population and a lower population density than a combined Arlington/ALX combo:

Tampa
Honolulu
Anaheim
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Lexington
Cincinnati
Madison
Orlando
Newark
Reno
Richmond, VA
Boise
SLC

Old 01-09-2016, 11:02 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Imagine if Washington DC became part of Maryland and Virginia again?

Let's not and say we did.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM

BTW, if the original districts were reunited, it would have a population of around 1,050,000. That would make it the tenth largest city in the US. Of the 9 larger cities, only 3 would have greater population densities ( NYC, Chicago and Philly - barely).

Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM

126 posts, read 117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlaceInDC View Post
BTW, if the original districts were reunited, it would have a population of around 1,050,000. That would make it the tenth largest city in the US. Of the 9 larger cities, only 3 would have greater population densities ( NYC, Chicago and Philly - barely).
What does density or "urban feel" have to do with some place identifying as a city or not?

Old 01-11-2016, 01:27 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You clearly do not live in DC and did not read my post. I do not want a penny of my income tax, or property tax going through Annapolis or Virginia. Not one penny. I am not going to see my local tax dollars subsidize some rural parts of Maryland, or for that matter Baltimore.

No DC resident will agree to this.

Hell no.

You don't get this, anybody who even suggests DC goes back in Maryland or Virginia simply does not get this. It's not just about representation, it's more so about full budgetary autonomy. This is why for those of us in DC it's statehood and only statehood, which is acceptable.

No, I live in the Maryland burbs and bringing DC into the Free State is pretty low on my to do list.

But...I was born and raised in DC and lived many years there and thus feel I have a valid opinion on the matter.

The current tax situation in DC is hardly laudable. To oppose "normalizing" the situation on the basis of tax flows strikes me as rather odd. DC would be part of a real state and would deal with the same situation that every state deals with. New York City has been moaning for decades about sending tax money to other parts of New York State. Doesn't mean they want to be a City-State of their own.

DC will never be a state in its own right for reasons mentioned. Never. The best deal possible is joining Maryland. DC will not do better.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
What does density or "urban feel" have to do with some place identifying as a city or not?
Was a coffee induced response full of research replying to JD984.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: