Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I would rather see the original boundaries of DC restored, with the old Alexandria County made part of DC. DC would be a nice square again, with a population near or over a million, and the Republicans might support it, as it would pull a lot of Democrats out of VA.

In addition, there are a lot of people in Arlington who like to call it "urban," and this would give them more credibility.
1. Wilson Blvd hoods are more urban than a LOT of DC Hoods. There is a statistical density threshold to define urban/surban/rural -- Wilson Blvd easily meets that threshold. "Urban" is not some arbitrary term that you just get to throw around when you want -- there are ways to measure it and it is pretty black and white.

2. There's a reason we left DC. No way in hell that would ever happen. The DC Government can keep their corruption and incompetence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlaceInDC View Post
Considering the population densities of the 3 original areas that comprised DC:
1) Arlington: 8,819/sq mi
2) Alexandria: 10,038/sq mi
3) DC: 11,011/sq mi

I don't think there's any argument saying that the original Virginia areas of the district aren't urban.
Stop using so many facts. Facts aren't allowed on the DC Board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 04:07 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You clearly do not live in DC and did not read my post. I do not want a penny of my income tax, or property tax going through Annapolis or Virginia. Not one penny. I am not going to see my local tax dollars subsidize some rural parts of Maryland, or for that matter Baltimore.

No DC resident will agree to this.

Hell no.

You don't get this, anybody who even suggests DC goes back in Maryland or Virginia simply does not get this. It's not just about representation, it's more so about full budgetary autonomy. This is why for those of us in DC it's statehood and only statehood, which is acceptable.

I mean why are you so defensive, it's not as if it's going to happen anyway. You act as if the people in MD and VA are fighting for DC or something. Trust me the people that I know that live in the suburbs say they don't want any parts of DC at this point.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:02 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times
Well this map is an abomination but pretty fascinating. Think there's a lot of unnecessary Balkanization in the areas west of Rock Creek. Cleveland Part would probably still fit in relatively well in the City of Washington.

As for DC statehood, I like the concept of it having much more state-like authority as opposed to actually being a state. Budget autonomy and more land handed over to the city by the fed govt are two of the most important things in my book. We should have permanent voting representation in Congress. These are things that would likely require an amendment though. Just give Utah that extra rep to balance out any political considerations.

The reason I oppose statehood in and of itself is that it's just too difficult to separate the federal from the local, as much as I constantly try. What about all the money the fed govt gives the city to basically keep itself (the fed govt) running, for example subsidizing the police or snow plows? Would the bureaucrats keep telling the city what artwork it can put in the traffic circles? Would embassies stay in a state of Columbia? Should they be more appropriately called consulates? Etc etc.

The win-win would be to eliminate federal income tax within city limits. Prices in other categories would likely soar but it would solve the taxation without representation problem and likely be a boon for development in the city.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,374 times
Quote:
And because I love metrics so much, here's a list of "real" cities that would have both a lower population and a lower population density than a combined Arlington/ALX combo:

Tampa
Honolulu
Anaheim
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Lexington
Cincinnati
Madison
Orlando
Newark
Reno
Richmond, VA
Boise
SLC
Source?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Well this map is an abomination but pretty fascinating. Think there's a lot of unnecessary Balkanization in the areas west of Rock Creek. Cleveland Part would probably still fit in relatively well in the City of Washington.

As for DC statehood, I like the concept of it having much more state-like authority as opposed to actually being a state. Budget autonomy and more land handed over to the city by the fed govt are two of the most important things in my book. We should have permanent voting representation in Congress. These are things that would likely require an amendment though. Just give Utah that extra rep to balance out any political considerations.

The reason I oppose statehood in and of itself is that it's just too difficult to separate the federal from the local, as much as I constantly try. What about all the money the fed govt gives the city to basically keep itself (the fed govt) running, for example subsidizing the police or snow plows? Would the bureaucrats keep telling the city what artwork it can put in the traffic circles? Would embassies stay in a state of Columbia? Should they be more appropriately called consulates? Etc etc.

The win-win would be to eliminate federal income tax within city limits. Prices in other categories would likely soar but it would solve the taxation without representation problem and likely be a boon for development in the city.

I thought the Utah deal a good one. However, somebody inserted poison pill regarding gun regulations into the Bill and DC balked.

It probably would have been shot down anyway as Utah's demographics will earn them that seat.

DC would fit politically, culturally, and geographically into Maryland. Ultimately it is the only palatable solution, if any.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,374 times
Quote:
Considering the population densities of the 3 original areas that comprised DC:
1) Arlington: 8,819/sq mi
2) Alexandria: 10,038/sq mi
3) DC: 11,011/sq mi

I don't think there's any argument saying that the original Virginia areas of the district aren't urban.

If Washington DC gained back Arlington County and part of Alexandria, what would the population be? It could be easy to figure it out if only Arlington was back in the fold but I'm not sure how to find out what the population of former DC section of Alexandria would be.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
If Washington DC gained back Arlington County and part of Alexandria, what would the population be? It could be easy to figure it out if only Arlington was back in the fold but I'm not sure how to find out what the population of former DC section of Alexandria would be.
To my understanding the current day population of DC's original 104 sq mi diamond district is between 1.1 and 1.2 million.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Arlington and Alexandria are not unretroceding. Now that marriage equality is the law of the land, and now that progressive policies have a chance in Richmond, there is less reason for people in those jurisdictions to want it, and the other factors militating for remaining in the Commonwealth dominate. Also this would be negative for Virginia in terms of tax revenue, and also fought by Commonwealth and national Dems. Only people who might be interested are some GOP partisans. The urban status of much of Arlington is a matter of built form, not whether it is part of the District or not.

As for the population breakdown in Alexandria use census tracts

See this map https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...C51510_001.pdf

It appears that there are not census tracts that overlap middle King Street. 2007.03 is in the retroceded area I think, and 2007.02 is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: