Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:00 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times

Advertisements

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/3f17xw/

What do you all think? Do you agree with the boundaries and cities? If not, then how would you draw the boundaries?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
District of Columbia, VA encompasses the soldiers at Fort Meyer, a lot of dead people at Arlington Cemetery, and the Pentagon. What's the point? Almost no one lives within the boundaries.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
It shouldn't become a part of Maryland or Virginia. I will go through the reasons why, but this would mean locally collected tax dollars would be redistributed to rural areas of whatever state it is in. The reason why DC is doing very well right now is local DC dollars are local DC dollars, and this includes income taxes from people collected in the district. No other city has this advantage. DC right now is doing far better than other cities in the US precisely because it's funds don't flow into a state treasury.

What DC needs is NOT to be incorporated into Maryland and Virginia, but to be it's own state so it has full budgetary autonomy and a vote in congress. But it is the former which is FAR more important than the ladder believe it or not. Anybody who proposes this reincorporation into maryland or virginia does not understand this to be the case. We do not want either state to be meddling in our budgetary affairs, and we CERTIANLY do not want our tax dollars flowing to those state coffers. This is why DC statehood is the ONLY acceptable thing for those of us who are residents of DC. It is one of the few things those of us who are transplants and those who are natives really agree on.

Also your boundaries are completely arbitrary.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM

741 posts, read 1,114,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/3f17xw/

What do you all think? Do you agree with the boundaries and cities? If not, then how would you draw the boundaries?
In the 21st century? No, that map is hideous. A real joke.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Waste of bandwidth

Old 01-08-2016, 08:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
lol good thing you have insurance for those jokes.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 AM

126 posts, read 117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The reason why DC is doing very well right now is local DC dollars are local DC dollars, and this includes income taxes from people collected in the district. No other city has this advantage. DC right now is doing far better than other cities in the US precisely because it's funds don't flow into a state treasury..
It's also because 25% of DC's budget comes from federal dollars and has the high per capita contribution of Federal expenditures than any state.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Absorb it into Maryland. It will fit culturally and politically.

DC will gain several Congressman who can actually vote plus State reps in Annapolis.

There is no way Republicans will ever agree to anything that adds 2 Democratic Senators. And Democrats would balk too were the situation reversed.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Absorb it into Maryland. It will fit culturally and politically.

DC will gain several Congressman who can actually vote plus State reps in Annapolis.

There is no way Republicans will ever agree to anything that adds 2 Democratic Senators. And Democrats would balk too were the situation reversed.
You clearly do not live in DC and did not read my post. I do not want a penny of my income tax, or property tax going through Annapolis or Virginia. Not one penny. I am not going to see my local tax dollars subsidize some rural parts of Maryland, or for that matter Baltimore.

No DC resident will agree to this.

Hell no.

You don't get this, anybody who even suggests DC goes back in Maryland or Virginia simply does not get this. It's not just about representation, it's more so about full budgetary autonomy. This is why for those of us in DC it's statehood and only statehood, which is acceptable.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You clearly do not live in DC and did not read my post. I do not want a penny of my income tax, or property tax going through Annapolis or Virginia. Not one penny. I am not going to see my local tax dollars subsidize some rural parts of Maryland, or for that matter Baltimore.

No DC resident will agree to this.

Hell no.

You don't get this, anybody who even suggests DC goes back in Maryland or Virginia simply does not get this. It's not just about representation, it's more so about full budgetary autonomy. This is why for those of us in DC it's statehood and only statehood, which is acceptable.

DC should just be city state with better federal representation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: