Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,758 times

Advertisements

Washington DC bill would pay people stipends not to commit crimes | Daily Mail Online

What do you think? I'll leave my thoughts out of it for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
It's the violent criminal apologist McDuffie. The guy is the biggest embarrassment on DC council.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 141,336 times
This is definitely not an ideal solution, just pay off repeat offenders. It seems like backwards thinking. However, we spend a hell of a lot more to warehouse criminals who end up back in the system over and over again. It MAY give them an incentive to do better and maybe there are job placement opportunities that go along with the program, it's not easy for criminals to find work once they get out.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:37 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
I think it is smart to be pro-active and identify "at-risk youth." I support offering them a fellowship that includes: individualized counseling, mentoring, tutoring, job search type support. By all means, yes, let's do a pilot project on this and see if it works. But, giving them a stipend for not committing crimes goes to far, IMO. We are creating an incentive for people to become "at risk" in the first place. I would be pretty mad if I was from a low SES family and was working hard/making smart decisions in a difficult environment to then see people get rewarded for being a potential threat. Strip that portion out and I could see supporting this.

Supporters point to the Richmond, Ca example as a sign of success. Yes, the murder rate did fall from 2007 to 2014. But, the program never really been fully evaluated to see if it really caused the decline. So let's not pretend like this has been "proven to work."

From Mother Jones (a liberal opinion publication):
Did This City Bring Down Its Murder Rate by Paying People Not to Kill? | Mother Jones

Quote:
For now, no one can definitively say whether Richmond's program is a model, a fluke, or something in between. "We're
not doing the evaluations we should be doing; we're not bringing in objective people to look at it," UC-Berkeley's Krisberg admits. But the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, which receives funding from the Department of Justice and the Walton Family Foundation, is studying the program's implementation.

DC's crime and social issues are real and deep. The city can't just rely on law enforcement efforts alone. These carrot type programs to pro-actively try to lead people away from crime have their place, as well. But, let's no go overboard on an untested stipend program.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Washington DC bill would pay people stipends not to commit crimes | Daily Mail Online

What do you think? I'll leave my thoughts out of it for the time being.
Who knows? It might work.

It would be interesting to see whether it prevents some people from killing each other. So, I guess it doesn't hurt to try it.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Dumbest thing I have heard this year.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM

490 posts, read 650,063 times
This city can't find worst ways to spend money? 20 something years ago, this place was murder capital/crack den. Thanks mostly to an expanding government, the city has seen great fortunes come it's way. How do they waste it? Giving city workers generous raises, crackpot transportation ideas like the over budget, way past schedule street car, and now, they want to pay criminals not to commit crimes. The city is short on police officers, as per their union. Why not hire more cops to fight crime? Seems like some thing a responsible government would do...
On a side note, when a recession finally hits this area (and it will) they are going to be wishing they stuffed some of this money in the piggy bank.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
If Hillary Clinton lived in DC would they pay her 9k to not send classified emails?

Would they give Marion Barry money to not smoke crack?

DC owe me some money since i didnt commit any crimes when i was living up there. Send me my damn check!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
This city can't find worst ways to spend money? 20 something years ago, this place was murder capital/crack den. Thanks mostly to an expanding government, the city has seen great fortunes come it's way. How do they waste it? Giving city workers generous raises, crackpot transportation ideas like the over budget, way past schedule street car, and now, they want to pay criminals not to commit crimes. The city is short on police officers, as per their union. Why not hire more cops to fight crime? Seems like some thing a responsible government would do...
On a side note, when a recession finally hits this area (and it will) they are going to be wishing they stuffed some of this money in the piggy bank.
Actually the government has not expanded that much in recent years, if anything it has shrunk. One has expanded in DC is private industry and NGO/Non-profits. https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...c-trends-54401

The expanding government thing is a misnomer that comes from the ill informed. (AKA Republicans)

Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 AM

490 posts, read 650,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Actually the government has not expanded that much in recent years, if anything it has shrunk. One has expanded in DC is private industry and NGO/Non-profits. https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...c-trends-54401

The expanding government thing is a misnomer that comes from the ill informed. (AKA Republicans)
The federal government hasn't grown in the last 20 years? I guess several wars in the Middle East, the creation of new federal agencies, and the creation of an entire new department - DHS, doesn't count as growth to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: